Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
This is very slick and would love to have it. However this is by no means the first jailbreak mod that improves Apple's very watered down multitasking bar. Hopefully when mods like this become high profile enough it will cause enough embarrassment for the innovation Apple lacks from within.

Having access to settings toggles via the notification drop down is still a much better use of wasted space. This mod isn't terribly cluttered, but having the toggles in notification center for give some breathing room to the multitask trays vs. what this offers.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Great app, excellent ergonomics. The two finger delete is awesome. It would be nice to have a gesture to access multitasking in the future instead of using the home button.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Apple - Claiming to be innovative, however, they block all user generated innovations thanks to their greed.. I mean closed platform.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder how much things will change now that Forstall is leaving. It seems like he was a barrier to more innovation within iOS. Unless Steve was stopping him from doing things? I can't think of anyone else that would have been able to stop him from moing iOS forward.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
I honestly don't like it.

- You still need to double press the home button
- small preview windows give you no more information than app symbols
- still many steps needed to get to the music controls
- it shows a brightness slider next to an airplay symbol which makes it easy to get confused with the volume slider

Personally I'd prefer quick app switching like on the iPad or like mission control on the Mac.
I also miss a good way to control music which could be done on the slide down menu. Or maybe slide up to show the multitasking menu?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This is certainly cool, and I do hope that Apple makes some changes to iOS in the next update...but overall this doesn't change much.

Multitasking is essentially the same, but looks a little prettier. The mini cards don't actually give you much information because they are so small. Maybe slightly faster recognition of a specific app, but not by much. The settings is a welcome addition, but jailbreak users have been asking for quick settings in every iOS release.

Personally I am expecting Apple to do things much bigger that just making the UI prettier and adding quick settings given the major changes in the iOS team's management.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
The preview of the screen is totally unnecessary. The simple icon does just fine. Also, the current style of app killing does the trick. Apple could certainly borrow a second tap and hold to kill all apps.

I do think they are on to something with the toggles, however. Quick access to common switches has been missing far too long from the stock iOS setup. I'll be happy as long as it includes "Do Not Disturb".

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Apple will probably just steal this idea and call it their's

I hope they steal and improve on it.
I don't want to have to jailbreak (not possible on the iPhone 5 either way and I like the independence from jailbreaking, waiting for updates, etc) to get this awesome app switcher.

Glassed Silver:mac

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Already exists!!

SBSettings for wifi/BT/3G control
Zyphyr for 1 finger up app switcher
Remove Background to get rid of running background.

Hello?????? Am i missing something?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Leave it to the jailbreak community to make the iOS experience better, while apple sits on their 100 billion cash doing nothing yet still calling iOS 'the most advanced mobile OS'. Sad world.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
This is why I jailbreak. This is also the reason I ended up trying Android instead because apple made it a pain in the *** to be able to jailbreak.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well, looks like Apple need to go and hire some developers from the jailbreak community again...

If Apple doesn't start putting some fresh touches in iOS I can see some sales being lost in the next couple of years, this implementation of a task switcher looks fantastic!

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Xerox PARC? :D

your comment is bad and you should feel bad. Did you fail your history courses? I thought so.

----------

What about?

-Open apps from lockscreen
-Wireless syncing
-Cloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard
-Facebook & Twitter integration

LOL? half of those things on your list weren't even first done on android. you must be a bright one. :rolleyes:

How ironic, you do realize google is the company coming up with 'me too' products right?

- Google drive (ripoff of dropbox)
- Google currents (flipboard wannabe)
- Google now (siri+passbook ripoff)
- Google music (iTunes match)
..boy the list goes on and on
-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.