Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 scratch

My iPhone 5 has a small scratch out of the box. Should I return it and get a new one?
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Yes. You should not accept damaged goods that are suppose to be new from Apple.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

That's a very personal choice, and you didn't even provide pictures.

What exactly do you expect from us?

Just keep it.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Depends on the scratch. Some people search their phone under magnification looking for an imperfection. If the scratch is visible under normal circumstances i would return; otherwise keep it. Compare this situation to anything else you might buy. My new flat screen came out of the box with a small nick near the bottom; however i would never return a $1000 device with a tiny imperfection that didn't even effect performance, but if had serious cosmetic issues i would return even if it operated perfectly.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
serkan
macrumors regular

If its not on a very bad place and catches your eye all the time then dont return it.

If it is a scratch of half a milimeter then dont

There are people that if its a micron scratch they would , its not a big deal if thats not a big one.

You can live with it
serkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:58 PM   #6
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

oh my god a scratch! the horror!
AutoUnion39 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
tvith
macrumors member

Like others have said, it's up to you. Some can live with it, some can't. But if it's me, and the scratch is visible, I would return it ONLY because I'm paying for a brand new product. If they wanna reduce the price then fine, I'll deal with it. But not willing to pay the asking price and get something with marks on it.
IDK why everyone makes a big deal when someone complains about scratch(es). I would be upset if I payed for a BRAND NEW product and it comes scratched up. Just like I would be upset if I bought a brand new car and it came scratched up.
tvith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

keep it.

return it.

exchange it.

i don't know.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #9
itjw
Banned

Why return it when you could sue for obvious massive damages!?

I am going to open a class action for all of the emotional distress, time off work, and general horribleness this has caused everyone...

It's a travesty. I just want to make sure no one else loses sleep at night over the injustice.

Apple won't get away with this!
itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

If its a scratch you can't live with then return it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:26 AM   #11
AFDoc
In Time-Out

If you bought in store then keep it as you should of seen it there before you left. If it came in the mail then take it back.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
Why return it when you could sue for obvious massive damages!?

I am going to open a class action for all of the emotional distress, time off work, and general horribleness this has caused everyone...

It's a travesty. I just want to make sure no one else loses sleep at night over the injustice.

Apple won't get away with this!
The ironic thing is that someone, somewhere probably *will* try this .

It's the sad state of our world. People are dying from having no water in other countries, and we obsess about a 1/2mm scratch on a phone.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:14 PM   #13
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
My iPhone 5 has a small scratch out of the box. Should I return it and get a new one?
Depends on how big/small the scratch is. At this point, unboxing an iPhone 5 without scratches is like a crap shoot. I know people, personally, who returned up to 6 iPhone 5's until finding one they were content with.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Depends on how big/small the scratch is. At this point, unboxing an iPhone 5 without scratches is like a crap shoot. I know people, personally, who returned up to 6 iPhone 5's until finding one they were content with.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493
Well I returned mine. So I should better just skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 then?

I thought Apple would have fixed scuff-gate by now
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:01 PM   #15
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well I returned mine. So I should better just skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 then?

At this rate, just wait for the iPhone 15.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
At this rate, just wait for the iPhone 15.
I heard iPhone 20 is going to be scratch proof and bulletproof.
Applejuiced is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
cdfink08
macrumors newbie

I don't understand why people try to stick up for apple over a damaged product that is supposedly brand new. If I pay $600 for ANYTHING I expect it to be in prestine condition. These people who have their heads shoved so far up apples ass that they think its the consumer who is overreacting need to get a reality check.

Now I'm not one who is going to say there is a "scratch gate" but there is evidently a problem with quality. So accept that facts and stop being such fanboys.

Sent from my Lumia 920
cdfink08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:20 PM   #18
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

You are extremely lucky to have gotten a new iPhone with a scratch.

So many people worry so much about when they are gonna get their first scratch and you already have your so no need to worry!

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:06 PM   #19
itjw
Banned

Quote:

Yep. Better steer clear of ALL consumer electronics that are mass produced. At least until you are able to either hold everything to the same standard (in which case you'll probably never buy anything ever again) or until you buy a few other things and realize there is no such thing as "flawless" consumer electronics, just:

1) One's with varying degrees of "damage"

or

2) One's with varying degrees of "damage" that just have not encountered someone OCD/Anal enough to NOTICE said "damage".

It makes no difference what you spend, or what you feel, or how great the company... If you look hard enough you WILL find a flaw. The people that return phone after phone just look harder than those who don't. They must also lead a miserable life. Feel bad for them.

Are there some legit cases for return? Sure. Are they a "gate"? Heck no. They are the cost of mass production. This isn't an "excuse" for Apple, this is a reality for EVERY manufacturer.

If you can't live with something not being "perfect" or "prestine" (sp), then seal yourself in a bubble and call it a day. If you look hard enough to notice tiny scratches that no normal person would, you will never be satisfied, and may as well save yourself the dissapointment now and just stop.

That goes for everything, not just Apple products.

The best thing most "scuffgate" sufferers could get (besides a seat in my class action lawsuit), would be professional help, not more sealed boxes to open and find "problems" with...
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:11 PM   #20
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Quote:
Yep....
Exactly! You sir are a genius!
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:51 PM   #21
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just keep it.
Apple loves customers like you. No offense intended.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:08 PM   #22
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Apple loves customers like you. No offense intended.
My response was arbitrary given the zero information in the OP.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:13 PM   #23
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My response was arbitrary given the zero information in the OP.
I completely understand. My big issue with the "just keep it" attitude is that if everyone felt that way then Apple would NEVER address the issue at all. Nor would it be willing to help customers as a result. Sometimes you gotta make a stink to get what you want.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:16 PM   #24
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, you should exchange it for an iPhone 5 that has no scratches out of the box. You ARE a paying customer.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:54 AM   #25
Spidder
macrumors member

Quote:
Are there some legit cases for return? Sure. Are they a "gate"? Heck no. They are the cost of mass production. This isn't an "excuse" for Apple, this is a reality for EVERY manufacturer.
That's true, but Apple just has to do better quality control! Apple costumers are pushing a huge amount of money into Apples anu..., i mean bank account, and we made Apple to the richest company in the world!

The least thing they can do to return the favor is selling us flawless products by spending a little more money for quality control! Isn't costumor satisfaction (and the always puff that up!) worth a few more million $? And Apple could pay that out of petty cash!

Instead of sueing every competitor, Apple should take that money and spend it for quality control!
Spidder is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone