Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Would be good for me since I have a compulsion with closing out every app in the multitasking tray I'm not using.

Portaluk

Oct 10, 2009
England
Only complaint is the double tap. My iPhone 4's button is basically 50% chance of usability now. Pressing the home button so many times a day for so many years eventually wears it out.

Exactly what I was thinking the home button on two of my devises are unusable and I use assistive touch, maybe a swipe up to access the menu just like a swipe down accesses notification centre.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Dear Mr. Cook,

Hey Tim, c'mon fella. Where's the innovation? It would be sweet to get that app switcher in iOS 6 or 7 (I can wait). I don't think you really need the preview buttons just simple icons. This would be a great START to making iOS the BEST mobile OS experience. Just my two cents.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
your comment is bad and you should feel bad. Did you fail your history courses? I thought so.

I don't think they cover that in History class. :rolleyes:

- Google drive (ripoff of dropbox)

Not really, Google Drive isn't just a Cloud solution, but an online office suite. Besides Dropbox isn't the only cloud solution available. It's the most well known, here at least, but there are better choices like SugarSync. While it's not as easy to use, it offers more flexibility and initial storage.

- Google now (siri+passbook ripoff)

If by rip off you mean works better then yes.

Don't even get me going on Apple Maps. Apple made that a 'fail' from the get go. Now they have to do damage control. While in the mean time Google made Google Maps for iOS 6 and it works great. Apple got their Apple Maps a$$ handed to them for that.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Man, I would love that. Apple, please throw a few million pocket change at these guys, it looks like it's already pretty much production-ready.

Still, my biggest beef with iOS remains the lack of fast multi-user switching, especially for iPad. If there's only one feature I could have for the next iOS version, that's it.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
This is why being open would be cool.

I don't think they necessarily have to be open to do this!

Apple should create developer contests with financial incentives to reimagine various aspects of iOS. This would keep iOS safer as a closed system, which Apple likes. It would give Developers incentive to build prototypes that Apple might consider using. The contest winning developer will receive financial rewards whether or not Apple ultimately uses the winning design. Perhaps they might receive additional rewards if Apple does choose to implement all or part of their winning design. This will give Apple employees additional ideas how to improve iOS. This will hopefully accelerate the progress of iOS for its users benefit.

Everyone, for the most part, wins!
Apple has control and more ideas to work with
Developers get to reimagine iOS with the chance to win money and good PR.
Users keep the safer closed system and perhaps see new creative updates sooner.

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
LOL? half of those things on your list weren't even first done on android. you must be a bright one. :rolleyes:

How ironic, you do realize google is the company coming up with 'me too' products right?

- Google currents (flipboard wannabe)
- Google music (iTunes match)
..boy the list goes on and on
-

When those were implemented in Android first, Apple followed those ideas and implemented in iOS to stay competitive. Last time I checked Apple didn't invent the smartphone, tablet, concept of app store either, it just made them better.

Also...

Google Docs > iWork
Googe Now > Siri
Google Music > iTunes Match

Notification Center sucked when it was implemented from Android. Apple could have at least made it better or updated but they haven't touched it in 2 years.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
your comment is bad and you should feel bad. Did you fail your history courses? I thought so.

----------

LOL? half of those things on your list weren't even first done on android. you must be a bright one. :rolleyes:

How ironic, you do realize google is the company coming up with 'me too' products right?

-

Actually, Google music was introduced few days before iCloud, so it's actually Apple who is copying Google!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hopefully this will be 'borrowed' as part of a major UI overhaul of iOS. God knows it needs it.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Oh yeah. Trivial features counted as rip off? Are they almost pixel for pixel the same on both platforms?

I'm just saying....Android had some features before iOS despite that most people think that Apple had everything first on iOS.

----------

Exactly what I was thinking the home button on two of my devises are unusable and I use assistive touch, maybe a swipe up to access the menu just like a swipe down accesses notification centre.

Too bad Apple probably wont have this for iPhone 5S.

Which means that even if they redid the UI for multitasking...its still going to suck double tapping the home button.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Nice functionality, but way too cluttered of an interface for Apple to adopt IMO, especially with the vertical scrolling and icon over each app's screenshot. Hopefully they can add similar functionality but make it cleaner.

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Auxo is not currently available, but it is coming soon to Cydia for jailbroken iOS 6 devices.

There is no current jailbreak for iOS 6 except for extreme fringe cases

(Only "old bootrom" 3GS owners have an untethered jailbreak on iOS 6. A limited tethered jailbreak is available for iPhone 4 and older)

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
I'm just saying....Android had some features before iOS despite that most people think that Apple had everything first on iOS.

----------

Too bad Apple probably wont have this for iPhone 5S.

Which means that even if they redid the UI for multitasking...its still going to suck double tapping the home button.

We are talking about looks, not features themselfs.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
We are talking about looks, not features themselfs.

Your Apple friend here is comparing...

So I honestly don't know whats going on.

I just hope that Apple starts innovating again on its UI and software front which is what Google has been with Android for 2 years now.

The way I see it now... You can clearly see Android improving every year.

Android 4.0 ICS < Android 4.1 Jellybean < Android 4.2 Jellybean

On the iOS its a different story....

iOS 4 < iOS 5 ? iOS 6

iOS 6 had a mixed Maps, Siri still in beta, no updates to multitasking or notification center. Overall its just wasn't good enough for a huge 1.0x update. Maybe if it was part of iOS 5 like iOS 5.2 or 5.3.

Next year is either going to be a great year in terms for iOS with Forstall leaving, new designs and concepts, etc. or Apple will continue its trend of declining, not ready and uninnovative features.

I really hope Apple at least adds this into iOS 7. Don't want Foursquare integration type features...

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Hopefully by the time I purchase my 4S 64GB in January I'll be able to install this awesome mod too!

I was having a discussion the other day with a some friends about how ios is lacking in functionality when compared to Cynogenmod and little touches like these were among our main concerns.

I really hope Apple is paying attention!

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
I kinda like it. But as a previous poster said:

- You still need to double press the home button

It could use a slide up gesture (as mentioned), the reverse of notification center. That's easy to implement, I guess (or use something like Activator to do it).

- small preview windows give you no more information than app symbols

But gives a nice excuse to have a taller multitasking bar. Also, some people might disagree; this needs to be tested.

- it shows a brightness slider next to an airplay symbol which makes it easy to get confused with the volume slider

This is quite a design error. Airplay icon must be next to the volume slider, as it is now - and makes sense.

Also, i'm not sure I liked the vertical scrolling panels. They seem like a novelty and might have some appeal to some users, but they break a "norm" in my mindset. Moreover, they look too "packed", trying to fit one too many things in a small place. Volume control should be reachable in a more direct manner. Now it looks like album art/title/artist/album name are more important and the volume slider is tucked away. Checking out the full album cover while in the multitasking bar? Sorry, but kinda useless for me.

Love the way apps are killed, I must admit though! Much more intuitive than the current Apple implementation of tap & hold & kill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.