Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sallyjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Hello,

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2. I was wondering if anybody could tell me, step by step, how to configure everything so that I can receive iMessages sent to my phone number on both my iPhone and my iPad. I don't really want to use my apple ID email address to send and receive iMessages, I'd much rather use my phone number if that's possible. I haven't tried it on my own because I don't want to accidentally mess up any settings and then not be able to receive iMessages on either device.

Thanks!

sallyjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for the link but that doesn't exactly answer my question... How can I configure it so that I receive iMessages sent to my phone number on my iPad?

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Assuming you set up your iPhone with your apple id (which I believe you have to):

Settings>messages>send&receive then make sure the phone number is checked.

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
I don't see any way to add a phone number on the iPad. It only lets me enter email addresses.

You have to set it up on your iPhone first so that the iPhone says that it sends and recieves through the phonenumber. Then you can do the same on the iPad.
If you've already done it on the iPad but the option doesn't show up on the iPad, restart the iPad.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
You have to set it up on your iPhone first so that the iPhone says that it sends and recieves through the phonenumber. Then you can do the same on the iPad.
If you've already done it on the iPad but the option doesn't show up on the iPad, restart the iPad.

My number is added along with my email. I get iMessage via phone number / email, but can't on the iPad Mini. Does my 4S need to be on iOS 6 as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.