Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You found a verizon family plan with 4 lines all with unlimited data plans to take over?
And you're willing to lose all your current phone numbers and either use the numbers those people were using or getting brand new phone numbers for all 4 lines?

Yes I found a 4 line family plan with each line having unlimited data. The person works where I work and is moving overseas.

I'd be willing to lose our current phone #'s if Verizon is a better option for me after I evaluate it.

It's not that I don't like AT&T or that AT&T is bad in my area. In fact AT&T is fantastic and I would say that Verizon is equally fantastic compared to AT&T in Philly in regards of coverage, quality and reliability.

If I could get AT&T to offer the same consumer friendly features that Verizon does such as the option of unlimited mobile hotspot for $30, the ability to use a VZW iphone 5 sim in our iPads ETC then it I wouldn't even consider switching even 'a little bit'. Our usage patterns are changing and there is becoming a need to tether especially for our 2 sons in college that have iPhone 5's and iPads that live off campus. And since my job has changed it takes me out into areas more where there is no WiFi.

However I'm a little hesitant with VZW because I'm not sure if these consumer friendly features will last.

I already got a line to test from the person who's giving away the VZW family plan to test. I bought a VZW iPhone 5 recently for $300 from someone who needed to sell quick. Since it's unlocked it can be used on AT&T on HSPA+ only so if I decide not to switch to VZW I can use the VZW iPhone 5 on AT&T HSPA+. I got a bare bones voice plan, no text and already existing unlimited data and $30 mobile hotspot feature on VZW iPhone 5 to test.

So far so good. As I said VZW and AT&T coverage, reliability and quality is equal in Philly metro so that's not an issue. But the consumer friendly features that VZW has that I mentioned are VERY nice to have especially when you have a need for it. Also my brother told me that VZW allows you to use your sim in a MiFi or JetPack which I didn't know but he said you probably would need a sim that would fit.

Yes I could get on a family data plan that would allow tethering but that would knock us all off unlimited data and would end up costing more based on data usage as a whole.

But my main concern with VZW is will they continue to offer what I call consumer friendly features because they are based on unlimited data accounts.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
You are incorrect

You will never hear a verizon customer with LTE being throttled. It just doesn't happen.

I bet you're a AT&T customer. :)

----------

Verizon doesn't even have true throttling Its called network optimization and only goes into effect when you are on a congested tower after being labeled a data hog. There is no set limit to reach to be called a data hog. It's up to their discretion. Network optimization only applies to unlimited 3G customers using a 3G device. One you activate a LTE device, this no longer applies.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You will never hear a verizon customer with LTE being throttled. It just doesn't happen.

I bet you're a AT&T customer. :)

----------

Verizon doesn't even have true throttling Its called network optimization and only goes into effect when you are on a congested tower after being labeled a data hog. There is no set limit to reach to be called a data hog. It's up to their discretion. Network optimization only applies to unlimited 3G customers using a 3G device. One you activate a LTE device, this no longer applies.

VZW says they can implement network management to 4G and also said they can in the future.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
"Does Network Optimization apply to customers using 4G services?
No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time."

Lol how does VZW network optimization apply to 3G devices?

"Once my data speed is reduced, am I going to be under Network Optimization forever?
No. You will be subject to Network Optimization for that billing cycle and the following cycle. When subject to Network Optimization you will only be affected when connected to a congested cell site. Otherwise, your data will operate as normal. "

On a 3G device you'll be network optimized for the current AND following billing cycle.

VZW says they can network optimize 4G and can in the future.

When they do it will be the same network optimizing as 3G devices for the current billing cycle AND the following bill cycle.

It's not happening now.

VZW says the can implement it on 4G devices now but not affected AT THIS TIME. This means they can implement it anytime. I'm confident they will in the near future as the network is getting more congested. I've had a VZW UL line and don't see the speeds when VZW first launched in Philly. I'm getting VZW advertised speeds of 5-12 Mbps.

I don't believe that most VZW accounts with UL would mind if there was network optimization.

But if it quacks like a duck... Network optimization quacks a lot like throttling.

Anybody here network optimized on 3G or has been optimized?

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
If verizon could have throttled it legally, then they would have already.

In a heartbeat.

They can network optimize 4G legally and state 4G devices aren't affected at this time. The FCC ruling had to with tethering. Even the FCC states reasonable network management.

----------

Well i can tell you from experience they dont throttle. I average 40-50gb per month

Right as VZW states they don't network manage 4G devices at this time but reserve too right later.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
They can network optimize 4G legally and state 4G devices aren't affected at this time. The FCC ruling had to with tethering. Even the FCC states reasonable network management.

----------

Right as VZW states they don't network manage 4G devices at this time but reserve too right later.

Nah, they would have if they could.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Nah, they would have if they could.

They state 4G devices aren't affected at this time but reserve the right later.

It's not that they can't as you proclaim. It's that they don't at this time and reserve the right to do so later. You're thinking is since they don't it means because they can't. Have you read what Verizon says in regards to network management? And the FCC ruling has nothing to do with network management anyway, it has to do with tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.