Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...he-700-Mhz-open-platform-restrictions-already

VZW purchased a very fast nationwide 700mhz Block C LTE 4G network from FCC auction in 2008.

Of note, Verizon is not allowed to:

•Block, degrade, or interfere with the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the licensee’s Block C network, subject to reasonable network management. Wireless service providers subject to this requirement will not be allowed to disable features or functionality in handsets where such action is not related to reasonable network management and protection, or compliance with applicable regulatory requirements. For example, providers may not “lock” handsets to prevent their transfer from one system to another.
•Block Wi-Fi access, MP3 playback ringtone capability, or other services that compete with wireless service providers’ own offerings.
•Exclude applications or devices solely on the basis that such applications or devices would unreasonably increase bandwidth demands.
•Impose any additional discriminatory charges (one-time or recurring) or conditions on customers who seek to use devices or applications outside of those provided by the licensee.
•Deny access to a customer’s device solely because that device makes use of other wireless spectrum bands, such as cellular or PCS spectrum.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Doesn't mean that Verizon can't throttle per se. The key phrase is: subject to reasonable network management. From the forum post you even linked:

TFA said:
They can throttle traffic if the tower is busy or switch to metered billing, but they cannot block it.

The post seems to be focused more on if Verizon can block third-party tethering apps.

agentxavier

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Subject to reasonable network management is the key phrase. Throttling at 4.7 gigs while offering plans at 6+ gigs without throttling does not seem reasonable. I really doubt this argument would hold up. I think they would have to start throttling after the largest plan they offer for it to be reasonable. To me reasonable means they would have to throttle all plans at the same amount of data usage.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's all about making more money and profits.
It has nothing to do with network management or other bs.
As long as you're paying use up as much as you want.
If you don't pay extra then we will slow you down for 2 months and at 4.7GB instead.
Take that AT&T, and you thought verizon couldn't go any further on nickel and diming their customers any more:)
What agreement with FCC? They don't have to follow anything as long as they're making more profits they will use any excuse they can.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ya know, VZW has defined "network management" so narrowly this may be a tempest in a teapot. We really don't know how this will all pan out, but before I get upset about it, I want to see what will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.