Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Ripping DVDs - there must be a better way

My mother has switched over to her Apple TV and abandoned the DVD player completely. Every now and then, I need to transcode a disc for her. Usually, I create an image with an old iMac G4 I have, and have my i5 Mac mini transcode it in handbrake, then tag everything in MetaZ.

Well, I stumble across troublesome discs from time to time, like a stop motion animated Christmas DVD (the one with mr heatmiser), where this method doesn't work. I just connected my playstation 2 to my EyeTV and recorded it. It came out okay, but it was slow and I lost chapter markers. Audio didn't matter on a film that old. My mother wants me to transcode "Santa Paws" and I tried the latest version if Mac the Ripper the PPC supported.

Bad sector warnings, even when using arccos mode. And I didn't get anything handbrake could understand from it, so there go chapters.

Any help on ripping these troublesome CDs with my setup?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
durruti
macrumors regular

Have you checked the CD/DVD for damage?

Try wiping from center to edge of disc (if I remember, if this is the correct method) with very soft cotton material ?
durruti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I did that. It's fine. I really don't want to have to put it in the DVD player and watch all the way through To see if there is an actual defect.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Try RipIt on your Mac Mini to rip the disc.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:38 PM   #5
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

The mini lacks an optical drive. Challenge accepted?

----------

Curious, does ripit create an iso?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:09 PM   #6
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
The mini lacks an optical drive. Challenge accepted?

----------

Curious, does ripit create an iso?
Arrghh.. forgot the new mini's don't have optical drives
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:12 PM   #7
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I tried ripping that disk on an old Lennox laptop running a Windows app inside of wine. I got an ISO, but when I went to copy the damn thing, it would get to the end of file, then say that there wasn't enough space. This is while copying it to a 500 Gig drive. Is irritating as this is, I can't help but be impressed at copy protection. It's damn effective, and very clever.

----------

Linux, damnit. And why can't I edit that post? Tapatalk, you are beginning to piss me off.