Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Here's a link;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100125

It comes with leopard, but you should be able to upgrade to Lion/Mountain Lion despite it being an older model. It won't be a speed demon, but it should handle what you want. That's $430 + your $99/yr subscription + the cost of Mountain Lion. You can't download it from the App Store on leopard, so you'd have to work that out. Someone somewhere told me that you can buy Lion (so I would presume the same with Mountain Lion now) at the Apple Store and they will install it for you, since you won't have access to the app store. Otherwise you'd have to first upgrade to snow leopard, THEN upgrade to at least Lion to get the latest version of Xcode.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Does it have to be a MacBook? I'm sure you could get much more for your money (in the way of power) with a Mac mini as they're only $600 new.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Are the mac minis that much better than the MacBooks?
As the poster above said, the hardware is comparable - but they're quite a bit cheaper than the MacBook line. If you're buying used, you can probably get a more recent mini (meaning better specs) for around the same price as you'd spend on an older model MacBook. Just hunt around on eBay and/or craigslist to see what you can find.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
As I understand it it can, but with the specific hardware needs of a ML hackintosh, a used Mac Mini might still be a cheaper, and better option.

Maybe the needs are specific for now. However at least with a custom rig, when necessary you can have true windows gaming performance.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Not at all, because it lasts an entire year.. And it pays for all of your downloads and everything else.

The $99 annual fee doesn't really concern me.

With that logic, consider a Mac will last you a couple of years at least...that would be $200 a year (probably less since I bet it will last way longer than that). Also, you plan to use it to make money, so that should be factored in as well.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
However, it isn't cheap, as you have to buy a licence to Snow Leopard Server.

I do not necessarily agree that your interpretation that the EULA for Snow Leopard Server allows for its virtualization on non-Mac hardware.

However, I wanted to point out that copies of Snow Leopard Server are now selling on eBay for a cheap as $51 -- check it out.

I track this as I offer instruction on how to install Snow Leopard client in Parallels on modern Lion or Mt. Lion Macs for those who need continuing use of their PowerPC apps.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Yeah you can find one for $300 on ebay. I personally hate these old macbooks because they are so slow and really do not represent the Apple Macintosh computer very well. I would highly recommend you save up and purchase a Macbook Pro and not be like one of those white Macbook people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.