Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

iPhone dropped in water, won't stop vibrating

Kay so this iPhone was dropped in water, after it fell it started vibrating and won't stop, I immediately unscrewed it and took the screen out and put them both in a bowl of rice, did not turn it off.

Now, it has stopped vibrating because the phone was in the rice bowl, but it slowly became more weak and stopped vibrating, I didn't know what to do I put the screen back and pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds, didn't even see if it worked just pressed them both and then I removed the screen again.

Has it ever happen to anyone that the iPhone won't stop vibrating after a water damage?
Should I remove the logic board too?
How long should I leave it in the rice bowl?
Thanks
Spyzz83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Just leave it off and in rice for a couple days.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Just leave it off and in rice for a couple days.
But at first I put it in the rice bowl when it was on vibrating, then after like 4 hours it got weaker and stopped, I put everything back pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds without even knowing if the phone was still on or not.

Also heard that it's better not to open it and leave it the way it is in the rice bowl, is it true?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
bradkb
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyzz83 View Post
But at first I put it in the rice bowl when it was on vibrating, then after like 4 hours it got weaker and stopped, I put everything back pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds without even knowing if the phone was still on or not.

Also heard that it's better not to open it and leave it the way it is in the rice bowl, is it true?
It probably got weaker as the battery started to die, it quite possibly is out of juice, which is GOOD.

Stick it back in the rice, with the screen off if possible and leave it alone for a couple of days, this will get all the water out.

After at least 2 days, check and make sure you see no trace, then put back together, you can then try switching on, and if not, check the lightening connector first make sure its dry, then plug in your charger.

DO NOT SWITCH it on until then. If you switch on now and if water is shorting any pins, you will DAMAGE your phone.
bradkb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
braddick
macrumors 68040

Please make sure it is raw and not cooked rice.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradkb View Post
It probably got weaker as the battery started to die, it quite possibly is out of juice, which is GOOD.

Stick it back in the rice, with the screen off if possible and leave it alone for a couple of days, this will get all the water out.

After at least 2 days, check and make sure you see no trace, then put back together, you can then try switching on, and if not, check the lightening connector first make sure its dry, then plug in your charger.

DO NOT SWITCH it on until then. If you switch on now and if water is shorting any pins, you will DAMAGE your phone.
Kay thanks alot man, I'll check back in two days see
Thank you very much
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM   #7

That thing is toast.

Call your insurance OP
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:07 PM   #8
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

If ANYTHING electrical falls in water, turn it off immediately. Running a piece of soaking wet electronics is dangerous, if only to the item.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
If ANYTHING electrical falls in water, turn it off immediately. Running a piece of soaking wet electronics is dangerous, if only to the item.
How can I know if it's powered on?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

If the rice thing doesn't work, try dropping it in water again.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:11 AM   #11
FixBrokeni
macrumors member

There is a good chance you shorted a connection when dropping the device in water. As others have instructed, I'd leave it powered off for 2-3 days in rice and make sure the phone is completely dry before powering it back on.
FixBrokeni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone