Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 3, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
martinm0
macrumors 6502

ML Hibernation Pauses Active Programs?

After upgrading to Mountain Lion this weekend I started noticing that active programs I have running like Handbrake seem to go into hibernation when the computer sleeps. Instead of completing the conversion over the course of the night as it usually does, I'm finding it still active and running when I wake the computer in the morning (presumably it isn't running all night long, but starting up again when I wake the machine).

Anyone else run into this? Happened last night when I was running Pavtube Bluray Ripper as well. Came home after work and found the movie only ~40% done after starting it nearly 18 hours before hand.

Note: this is happening on a current gen iMac 21" 2.5 i5.

Last edited by martinm0; Aug 3, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
martinm0
macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Bump. Anyone else able to confirm if this is happening to you too? Still happening under a fresh 2012 27" iMac. Thanks.
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
After upgrading to Mountain Lion this weekend I started noticing that active programs I have running like Handbrake seem to go into hibernation when the computer sleeps. Instead of completing the conversion over the course of the night as it usually does, I'm finding it still active and running when I wake the computer in the morning (presumably it isn't running all night long, but starting up again when I wake the machine).

Anyone else run into this? Happened last night when I was running Pavtube Bluray Ripper as well. Came home after work and found the movie only ~40% done after starting it nearly 18 hours before hand.

Note: this is happening on a current gen iMac 21" 2.5 i5.
I just disable sleep when performing those activities. Then Restore Defaults in Energy Settings when done.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Dark Dragoon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Bump. Anyone else able to confirm if this is happening to you too? Still happening under a fresh 2012 27" iMac. Thanks.
With Lion and previous versions of OS X, the computer was kept awake by checking for disk activity. So tasks such as converting videos kept the computer awake until they were done.

In Mountain Lion this behaviour was changed, the OS now no longer checks for disk activity. Instead an application must now specifically tell the OS that it is doing something via power assertions to keep the computer from sleeping.

Here's whats happening regarding Handbrake and implementing power assertions https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/.
Dark Dragoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Dragoon View Post
With Lion and previous versions of OS X, the computer was kept awake by checking for disk activity. So tasks such as converting videos kept the computer awake until they were done.

In Mountain Lion this behaviour was changed, the OS now no longer checks for disk activity. Instead an application must now specifically tell the OS that it is doing something via power assertions to keep the computer from sleeping.

Here's whats happening regarding Handbrake and implementing power assertions https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/.
That was a much better response than mine
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store