Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
spacewolf
macrumors newbie

@me.com and @icloud.com

For existing icloud users with an @me.com email address that will receive an @icloud.com email address;

Will user@icloud.com become the main apple ID while user@me.com becomes an alias or

Will user@me.com stay the main apple ID while user@icloud.com becomes an alias or

Will both be equal or

Can you choose?

I'm not talking about the email address here precisely but for Apple ID purposes.
spacewolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Mal
macrumors 603

Either can be used to log into any services that ask for the AppleID. Technically, the @me.com one should remain your primary AppleID, but since they can be used interchangeably for that purpose, it's kind of a moot point.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Tilpots
macrumors 601

@me used to be my default, but now it's switched to @icloud and there's no option to switch it back. Kinda annoying having to switch it every time I send an email.
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
@me used to be my default, but now it's switched to @icloud and there's no option to switch it back. Kinda annoying having to switch it every time I send an email.
How did you get yours to switch to @icloud? Did it happen automatically or did you go in and make it the default yourself? I see that my @icloud is listed now but it doesn't work if I try and send an email to it. I also haven't received the email from Apple saying it is available yet.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Tilpots
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
How did you get yours to switch to @icloud? Did it happen automatically or did you go in and make it the default yourself? I see that my @icloud is listed now but it doesn't work if I try and send an email to it. I also haven't received the email from Apple saying it is available yet.
It did it on its own, either when I switched to iOS 6 or the iP5. Not sure which, both happened within a day. My @icloud won't send or receive. It's just listed as the default email when I compose a message and the @me is not in option to choose in Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendars. My @gmail and my work email are options, but I prefer my @me as the default. Are you saying yours is not defaulted to @icloud?
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:31 AM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core

I still only use my @mac.com address. Works the best.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

I'm still waiting to get the notification that I have an @icloud.com address. Whenever I try to mail to it, it gets rejected. I really would like to have it because I have never liked @me.com.
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Mal
macrumors 603

@icloud shows up for me now on iCloud.com, and I can log in using it, but email sent to it still bounces. Getting close though (no email notification yet).

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #9
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It did it on its own, either when I switched to iOS 6 or the iP5. Not sure which, both happened within a day. My @icloud won't send or receive. It's just listed as the default email when I compose a message and the @me is not in option to choose in Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendars. My @gmail and my work email are options, but I prefer my @me as the default. Are you saying yours is not defaulted to @icloud?
Mines isn't defaulted to @icloud but if I got to icloud.com and the settings for the webmail app, I can choose to make it the default if I remember correctly. It's also listed when I go to appleid.apple.com and attempt to manage my Apple ID.

You should be able to change it in one of those two places.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Tilpots
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Mines isn't defaulted to @icloud but if I got to icloud.com and the settings for the webmail app, I can choose to make it the default if I remember correctly. It's also listed when I go to appleid.apple.com and attempt to manage my Apple ID.

You should be able to change it in one of those two places.
Aha! I was able to change it at iCloud.com. I made the @me account the primary one. And all is right with the world once more. Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
ltb7
macrumors 6502

I did nothing and a few days ago @icloud just appeared on all of my macs + devices in iMessages
ltb7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:36 AM   #12
macgrl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb7 View Post
I did nothing and a few days ago @icloud just appeared on all of my macs + devices in iMessages
same here..it all seems to be set up on all my devices
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:39 AM   #13
kthnxshwn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes there is.

Settings.app > iCloud > Account > Mail > Email
kthnxshwn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:55 AM   #14
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Same here. I'm glad I can still use my @mac address, it seems to be the better of the three. But, changing it to @me works just as well; the two are interchangeable. Now, I wonder if @icloud will be the same?
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:13 AM   #15
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
That's what I use myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
@icloud shows up for me now on iCloud.com, and I can log in using it, but email sent to it still bounces. Getting close though (no email notification yet).

jW
Looks like they're enabling or already have enabled the icloud email addresses. I like this much better then @me and never used that one. I can live with @icloud but my @mac email address is so highly used in so many places I hope they never turn it off.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #16
xeno3d
macrumors regular

Still waiting for my @icloud notification...... 12/26/12

My wife's is active already.....

We have had our apple ids for like 7 years now
xeno3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services