Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Need to buy a backup drive for new 3T iMac. I have read the suggestions here but still confused? Seems LaCie 3T may have a bug on speed? So WD? (and which).

ALso, should I wait a bit? Are there new types that will run faster coming out? I have one backup to the cloud, and can still get a little mileage out of my old external HD?

Thanks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My Time Capsule has a Seagate 3TB drive that works just fine.

LaCie does not make drives. In their enclosures they use drives from Seagate, WD, tc. My LaCie thunderbolt enclosures use Seagate 3TB drives.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Need to buy a backup drive for new 3T iMac. I have read the suggestions here but still confused? Seems LaCie 3T may have a bug on speed? So WD? (and which).

ALso, should I wait a bit? Are there new types that will run faster coming out? I have one backup to the cloud, and can still get a little mileage out of my old external HD?

Thanks.

The popular theory states that you have at least the same capacity for backup as you do on your main machine. A 3TB TC is a good solution, but you may not need or want the wifi side of things. I dislike USB HDD's. They are slow, if reliable and so use a Promise Pegasus unit with T/Bolt.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for all but still confused? Seagate maybe? Seems WD is hit or miss. I didn't realize LaCie wasn't made by them.

Are we talking about Thunderbolt or USB 3 or both.

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
If your iMac has USB 3.0 then I think a Seagate external drive would be a good option. Not much point spending the extra on a Thunderbolt equipped drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.