Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Throttling should never had to occur.

In a perfect world, yes, but without throttling, excess charges would occur, as they do here in Australia. That's why I have 5.5GB data a month on my iPhone 5 (3GB's as an extra data pack).

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Tethering great but god it sucks your battery something rotten i wish that apple would hurry up and sort of the bug in the tethering because at the moment it not working i'am unable to try out my iPad mini for tethering.i'am on 3 Network at the moment and for me to tether it cost me 15 quid a month unlimited to tether for 30 days which isn't to bad really.As long as you have plenty of external battery chargers then can tether all day long no problem

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
I have a USA AT&T iPhone 5 with Unlimited Data.

After a few hours of watching youtube, I exceeded the 5gig limit on Unlimited, and got throttled down to Edge speeds.. .5 megabites per second.

My normal 4g speed is 6 megabites per second.
My normal 3g speed when I had a 3GS, was 1 mb per second.

ATT throttling is slower than 3G, making it useless for video. ATT throttling stops at the end of each billing cycle, until I exceed 5 gigabites again.

ATT throttling is as slow as using an iPhone on Tmobile USA.

there was just another app that fooled apple into allowing tethering, called FlashArmyKnife. Apple blocked it within 10 hours.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

After a few hours of watching youtube, I exceeded the 5gig limit on Unlimited, and got throttled down to Edge speeds.. .5 megabites per second.

ATT throttling is slower than 3G, making it useless for video. ATT throttling stops at the end of each billing cycle, until I exceed 5 gigabites again.

there was just another app that fooled apple into allowing tethering, called FlashArmyKnife. Apple blocked it within 10 hours.

Yeah it takes a little more than a few hours of youtube to go over 5GB of data...

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

500 Kbps/.50 Mbps is what you're throttling down to on LTE. That's not EDGE speeds to begin with. Also when you're throttled you still get LTE pings.

Not even close to EDGE speeds.

It's not useless for video. I've watched Netflix throttled @ .5 Mbps with the low pings. Not as great quality watching at full speeds but watchable.

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
> it takes a little more than a few hours of youtube to go over 5GB of data...

I did a quick test yesterday. I watched one Netflix video, and my data usage increased by .5 gigabite, so 10 hours of video would wipe out my 5gig allowance before throttling.

When I first got my iPhone 5, I used it to watch the O'Neill Cold Water Classic online. I blew through my iPhone's 5gig data cap in 3 days. Had to wait until the following month to get my data speeds back.

> It's not useless for video. I've watched Netflix throttled @ .5 Mbps with the low pings. Not as great quality watching at full speeds but watchable.

I agree, it does work, pauses occasionally, and image quality is blurry.

When throttled it also makes the maps app redraw so slowly as to be almost useless, to me. Fortunately, I rely on Navigon more than I rely on mapping apps that use cell phone data.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
> it takes a little more than a few hours of youtube to go over 5GB of data...

I did a quick test yesterday. I watched one Netflix video, and my data usage increased by .5 gigabite, so 10 hours of video would wipe out my 5gig allowance before throttling.

When I first got my iPhone 5, I used it to watch the O'Neill Cold Water Classic online. I blew through my iPhone's 5gig data cap in 3 days. Had to wait until the following month to get my data speeds back.

> It's not useless for video. I've watched Netflix throttled @ .5 Mbps with the low pings. Not as great quality watching at full speeds but watchable.

I agree, it does work, pauses occasionally, and image quality is blurry.

When throttled it also makes the maps app redraw so slowly as to be almost useless, to me. Fortunately, I rely on Navigon more than I rely on mapping apps that use cell phone data.

Exactly.
I can see 10+ hours of video streaming eating up your data. That is a lot of video streaming.
Not a few hours like you said. A few hours would be around 1GB of data.
Sucks but those are the rules.
At least you still got some slow data and dont have to pay any overages if you go over.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Some time ago there were apps that somehow made it through Apple's approval process that were specifically tethering apps. They still work on the iPhone 5 as far as I'm aware, but if you didn't download them at the time, there's no way to get them now.

So the answer is that there is no way to do it for new users.

This is true. "Handylight" was one of those apps and I managed to snag it before it got pulled. I can tether my laptop to my iPhone with but not another iOS device like an iPad--so it has very limited usefulness for me.

It works because a Mac or PC can project an adhoc network that the iPhone can connect to. Currently, iOS devices can't create one of those.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
This is true. "Handylight" was one of those apps and I managed to snag it before it got pulled. I can tether my laptop to my iPhone with but not another iOS device like an iPad--so it has very limited usefulness for me.

It works because a Mac or PC can project an adhoc network that the iPhone can connect to. Currently, iOS devices can't create one of those.

I got Flash Army and have an AT&T unlimited plan. Will I be able to tether on my iPad via my iPhone? If so will AT&T be able to detect it?

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
> will AT&T be able to detect it?

my guess is no
I believe that app uses the Data connection
you will just get throttled to .5 mbps if you exceed 5gigs of data. Since the plan is unlimited, you get the .5mbps for free.

I would be curious to know how much data you use per hour when you tether.

When I watch video, it seems to use .5gigs per hour, so after 10 hours of video, Im throttled for the rest of the month. I have ATTusa and iPhone 5, grandfathered with unlimited data..

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow apps that turn your phone into a wifi hotspot. Heck, google market has FoxFi that turns your android device into a wifi hotspot and it doesn't cause the US carriers to have a seizure.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow apps that turn your phone into a wifi hotspot. Heck, google market has FoxFi that turns your android device into a wifi hotspot and it doesn't cause the US carriers to have a seizure.

Because they dont want to piss off their partner networks.
Anything can be installed on an android wether approved on their market or not.
On the iphone is not like that.
Everything needs the ok by apple unless you're JB.;)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Because they dont want to piss off their partner networks.
Anything can be installed on an android wether approved on their market or not.
On the iphone is not like that.
Everything needs the ok by apple unless you're JB.;)

Who are their partner networks? Obviously not Verizon, because they don't care about FoxFi and have done nothing to stop an app from turning an android phone into a wifi hotspot on their network, especially for those with the unlimited data plan. With the share everything plan, it doesn't matter.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hi.

It's been a while since I've had an iphone, and I was wondering if there are any free apps in the market that will allow you to tether Verizon LTE without restriction/pay. I read the FCC banned Verizon from blocking tethering apps.

I don't want to jailbreak as I've always had problems following jailbreak.

I'm thinking of switching back to the iphone from Android, and this is the only thing holding me back. Free tethering on Android has always worked flawlessly for me, so I would like to have a reliable tether.

Unless you're on a shared data plan tethering will not be free unless you jail break your phone. And unfortunately there's no jail break available for the iPhone 5 (which sucks IMO), but they're working hard on it. :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Who are their partner networks? Obviously not Verizon, because they don't care about FoxFi and have done nothing to stop an app from turning an android phone into a wifi hotspot on their network, especially for those with the unlimited data plan. With the share everything plan, it doesn't matter.

Yes, I meant carriers like verizon and such networks that sell their devices officially.
I dont use an android by my guess is foxfi is something like MyWi is for a JB iphones.
In simple terms its against their app submission rules.
If it duplicates what their stock personal hotspot does then they will never allow it in. Those options are set there by the carrier config files that are set depending on your agreement with your wireless provider.
I agree that it does suck that they wont allow any apps like that legally in the appstore.
It would be one less thing I would need to JB my iphone for.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Yes, I meant carriers like verizon and such networks that sell their devices officially.
I dont use an android by my guess is foxfi is something like MyWi is for a JB iphones.
In simple terms its against their app submission rules.
If it duplicates what their stock personal hotspot does then they will never allow it in. Those options are set there by the carrier config files that are set depending on your agreement with your wireless provider.
I agree that it does suck that they wont allow any apps like that legally in the appstore.
It would be one less thing I would need to JB my iphone for.

Odd that Verizon has no say over the android phones, since they sell more of those phones and they can add all their bloatware. It would seem that Verzion has more control over android phone makers and they could easily block any app from allowing non sanctioned wifi hotspot apps. Right now, you don't even need to root an android phone to create a free wifi hotspot.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Odd that Verizon has no say over the android phones, since they sell more of those phones and they can add all their bloatware. It would seem that Verzion has more control over android phone makers and they could easily block any app from allowing non sanctioned wifi hotspot apps. Right now, you don't even need to root an android phone to create a free wifi hotspot.

That's nice.
I wish cool stuff like that would be allowed on the appstore but Im not holding my breath.
Apps and tons of nice and usefull packages that are on cydia to be able to be installed via the official appstore.
Who am I kidding? Not gonna happen. Please iphone 5 JB come quick:D

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
> will AT&T be able to detect it?

my guess is no
I believe that app uses the Data connection
you will just get throttled to .5 mbps if you exceed 5gigs of data. Since the plan is unlimited, you get the .5mbps for free.

I would be curious to know how much data you use per hour when you tether.

When I watch video, it seems to use .5gigs per hour, so after 10 hours of video, Im throttled for the rest of the month. I have ATTusa and iPhone 5, grandfathered with unlimited data..

That what it seems like for me about .5 gigs per hour. Being throttled on LTE isn't that bad though at .5 Mbps down and up especially with low pings. Video is watchable but of course it's better watching video at full speed.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

You're required to pay the $30 hotspot fee with VZW. It's not free.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
You're required to pay the $30 hotspot fee with VZW. It's not free.

I was able to do it. My wife still has her unlimited plan on her VZW GNex and is able to use FoxFi to tether without being charged a tethering fee.

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
> I was able to do it. My wife still has her unlimited plan on her VZW GNex and is able to use FoxFi to tether

happy for you, but that does not work for iPhone 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.