Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Update MacBook Pro and MacBook Air in June 2013 with New Processors, All Retina?

DigiTimes reports that Apple has signaled Taiwan-based suppliers that both the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air series will see revisions in June 2013. As noted by our buyers guide, this would put the updates in line within the expected timeframes.

DigiTimes' sources also reveal that the new MacBook Airs won't have any major external design changes, but will feature a "new processor platform":
Quote:
The sources pointed out that the MacBook Air for 2013 will feature a new processor platform, but its industrial design will not see any major changes.
The paper also reports that Ultrabook manufacturers are concerned that Apple "is likely to reduce the prices for its existing MacBook Airs before the launch of the new models." Such a move, however, would be extremely unusual for Apple. Apple rarely changes the prices of existing models before they are revised. So, we're skeptical about that particular concern. With the iPad 2, Apple has retained an older product and lowered its price to make room for a new product, but that move would also be unusual for Apple's notebook line.

Apple's MacBook lineup plans for late 2012 and 2013 (Source: Ming-Chi Kuo/KGI Securities)
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously outlined his expectations for Apple's 2013 plans back in June. The predictions in the top-portion of the graph above have already come true. Kuo expects that the MacBook Pro will consolidate back into a single hardware line next year. The new MacBook line will also use Intel's new Haswell chips which are expected between March and June 2013.

Haswell will incorporate CPU performance boosts as well as double the performance of the integrated GPU. This added GPU performance would be helpful if Apple does standardize on Retina Displays across the entire MacBook line in 2013.

Article Link: Apple to Update MacBook Pro and MacBook Air in June 2013 with New Processors, All Retina?
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Makes sense. MBA will most likely not ship in June though, ULV Haswell chips are Q3'13.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Makes sense. MBA will most likely not ship in June though, ULV Haswell chips are Q3'13.
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn
arn is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 AM   #4
alohamade
Contributing Editor

By analyzing this chart, this probably means that the current 13 inch and 15 inch cMBP will be done away with, being replaced by the retina versions of each.

I'm a little sad to finally see the end of user serviceable laptops But I know that Apple has great things planned for the line
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:43 AM   #5
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502a

Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
True, that's why I think I'll wait this out for a change..My 13" 2011 is still fine and I have the more important dilemma of what / how to proceed wit my MBP 17". A new MBA would be nice, but it's really a luxury item, not a must have.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 AM   #7
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
I was going to upgrade in March but I guess I'll be holding off until the summer now then.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
One of the best aspects of the retina display is that you can run the display at a higher resolution for those circumstances when you really need a larger screen 'real estate', albeit at the cost of tiny characters.
iLondoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 AM   #9
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn
That's how I read it, too. Perhaps Apple is close to introducing its own processor. If that happens, I think it would silence those who criticize Tim Cook as not being an innovative CEO.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:45 AM   #10
Macdick
macrumors member

All Retina

New Processor All Retina with HUGE 128GB SSD
Macdick is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:45 AM   #11
yearofthe
macrumors regular

Please don't get rid of the disc drive in the MBP!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:47 AM   #12
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
That's how I read it, too. Perhaps Apple is close to introducing its own processor. If that happens, I think it would silence those who criticize Tim Cook as not being an innovative CEO.
well, I don't think Apple's going to be making x86 processors, so then you'd have to invoke an ARM MacBook Air.

arn
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:47 AM   #13
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Haswell should seriously help reduce the lag on the rMBP when viewing lots of high quality content. I experience it myself on my machine.
gmanist1000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:48 AM   #14
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
At this point, no disc drive and Retina display across the lineup is a given.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:57 AM   #15
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...
I agree with you.

However profit, and pushing prices higher seemed to be Apple's main purpose behind "Retina" from day one. It's what Apple is about.
maxosx is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:58 AM   #16
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

A new processor for the MBA. ARM chips seem to be inbound if this is to be believed coupled with the rumours from earlier this year it remains to be seen but sure makes sense. Apple must be trying to nerf the MBA against the MBP as its a powerful little workhorse that must cannabalise potential sales of the MBP.

Ive played on a few up in my local Apple Store and it seems to run Aperture flawlessly. Its been nerfed over a few years now what with removing dedicated GPUs etc. It wouldnt surprise me if Apple totally pisses of its customers with turning it into a underpowered kiddies laptop for school.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #17
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

I don't mind the standard retina display (as long as prices are more reasonable than current rMBP prices) or even lack of optical drive in the next MBP. But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

If the roadmap is accurate, I hope Apple leaves the soldered ram and proprietary SSD to the MBA line where portability is paramount, and gives the MBP line (retina or not) user upgradeable parts.

But going by what they did to the new iMac, I wouldn't hold my breath...
VTECaddict is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #18
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Glad I picked up the current 15" non-retina.
JesterJJZ is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #19
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ummmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
At this point, no disc drive and Retina display across the lineup is a given.
This.

The only reason to keep the ODD at this stage is to keep an expansion option. Not a big deal to 98% of mbp buyers.
Santabean2000 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 AM   #20
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Haswell should seriously help reduce the lag on the rMBP when viewing lots of high quality content. I experience it myself on my machine.
That is exactly why a retina display on a machine without discrete graphics doesn't make sense in the first place. I would opt for the 15", but since it all the computers are glued shut meanwhile, I'll sit it out with my 13" early 2011 and overthink my digital future.
Monkeydude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:03 AM   #21
mscice
macrumors regular

I guess ill waited it off till june-july for new macbook pro 13" ... sad tho if its all retina ... then no way to upgrade ram or SSD when needing to ...

Maybe all 13" will have 8GB ram standard and minimum 128GB SSDs ...

13" macbook pro with 16GB ram and 256GB ssd would be ideal

anyone know if by that time there will be new OSX out?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I don't mind the standard retina display (as long as prices are more reasonable than current rMBP prices) or even lack of optical drive in the next MBP. But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

If the roadmap is accurate, I hope Apple leaves the soldered ram and proprietary SSD to the MBA line where portability is paramount, and gives the MBP line (retina or not) user upgradeable parts.

But going by what they did to the new iMac, I wouldn't hold my breath...

heh Im in same position as you .. I have a early 2008 MBP 15" ... i added some ram and SSD (sata1) cause our macbook dont support sata2 due to the cdrom ... thats too bad...

But like you said if its all soldered on .. better to pay extra and get more then upgrade yourself...

Anyone know if there is a workaround to force sata2 on 2008 macbook pro ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:07 AM   #22
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Well surely the price of the rmbp will have to drop if the mbp will be no longer. Also glad I just got a new mba, either a intel mba will arrive late or an arm mba while I'm sure we'll be ok in the future I don't like buying 1stgen products.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:08 AM   #23
katewes
macrumors 6502

If the whole MacBook lineup is going Retina, then I and all the people who've signed petitions for anti-glare screens are going to anxiously wait to see if the all-Retinas are going to include an anti-glare option.

I've tried out the Retinas and the latest 2012 iMacs - and the advertised 75% less reflective screen has to do with the intensity of the reflection, i.e. the reflection is darker. But the reflection is still there, and you can see the detail of what is behind you. It's darker, but still as clear as ever. Hence, if someone held a book open behind you, the reflection of the Retinas and new iMacs would be darker than the earlier glossy screens, but you would still be able to read the writing of the book's reflection.

Hence, the reflections are still annoying under CERTAIN lighting conditions.

It's still a total disaster if your new 2012 iMac or Retina MacBook Pro has its screen directly facing a sun-lit window where the exterior is in total sunshine.

Tim Cook has no idea how bad, in some but not all, lighting conditions, these still-glossy screens can make life so difficult for some users, because Tim Cook uses his iPad 80% of the time.
katewes is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:08 AM   #24
Mr.damien

"Haswell will incorporate CPU performance boosts as well as double the performance of the integrated GPU."

Neat, the retina screen just needs four time the performance.
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:08 AM   #25
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It should of gone 5years ago.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion