Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I don't see why Apple would choose to put Retina in the MBA's when it's such a great USP of the MBP's. Not only this, but it would require plenty of revisions under the hood, such as the battery.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn

That would be horrible (a switch to, say, ARM-architecture).

I'm pretty sure it would ultimately result in massive delays for Mac versions of Intel software. Some vital software would completely disappear. Adobe? And the blossoming PC>Mac game industry would die once again.

We've been there before — through the PowerPC>Intel-switch. Please Apple, don't do it to us again. You did a remarkable transition last time, but this time it would be in the wrong direction.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
This

I don't mind the standard retina display (as long as prices are more reasonable than current rMBP prices) or even lack of optical drive in the next MBP. But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

If the roadmap is accurate, I hope Apple leaves the soldered ram and proprietary SSD to the MBA line where portability is paramount, and gives the MBP line (retina or not) user upgradeable parts.

But going by what they did to the new iMac, I wouldn't hold my breath...

I approve and endorse every word of this comment, though it probably doesn't need it.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
That would be horrible (a switch to, say, ARM-architecture).

I'm pretty sure it would ultimately result in massive delays for Mac versions of Intel software. Some vital software would completely disappear. Adobe? And the blossoming PC>Mac game industry would die once again.

We've been there before — through the PowerPC>Intel-switch. Please Apple, don't do it to us again. You did a remarkable transition last time, but this time it would be in the wrong direction.

More apps sold in the mac app store = more $$$$ for apple. Sad but true.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn

That would have to be ARM then. It's not impossible given the performance of Apple's A6 and ARM's Cortex A15 (quad core at high clocks might be able to match the current chips in MBAs, assuming performance scales linearly). My take is that the new platform is simply Haswell, though.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
I don't see why Apple would choose to put Retina in the MBA's when it's such a great USP of the MBP's. Not only this, but it would require plenty of revisions under the hood, such as the battery.

Yep. I see them adding high-res displays to the Pro line, then slimming them down over the years to replace the Air models entirely.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Apple previously got SB ULV before others, so it might get Haswell ULV too. I don't see an ARM laptop happening at the current state of things, as great as they are, they aren't ready for computer use, or at least my use.

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Just in: Apple to release new iPod Shuffle with retina display!

----------

Apple to introduce new earphones with retina display!

----------

Apple to release new battery charger with retina display!

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Just in: Apple to release new iPod Shuffle with retina display!

----------

Apple to introduce new earphones with retina display!

----------

Apple to release new battery charger with retina display!

Apple TV with Retina Display...*dreams*

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
That would have to be ARM then. It's not impossible given the performance of Apple's A6 and ARM's Cortex A15 (quad core at high clocks might be able to match the current chips in MBAs, assuming performance scales linearly). My take is that the new platform is simply Haswell, though.

I thought the current ARM designs were 32bit only though? In other words no 8GB RAM or 64 bit applications

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Of course - less than 30 days after I purchased my 2012 MBA, a rumour of Haswell/retina appears! :D

As its likely to see a price bump with retina, glad I purchased when I did though...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I would be very surprised to see the MBP updated in 2013, I think it will be discontinued leaving the Mac Pro (desktop) as the only Mac with DVD.

I think it's clear the the MBP retina and MBA are the future, now there is an outside chance they will have a 'cheap' non retina model based on the retina case with SSD and no DVD. But I'm sure what ever happens there will still be a more affordable MacBook in the range.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Great news - if true, of course.

Hopefully a retina Cinema Display and a new Mac Pro follow a few months after the supposed new MacBook Air and Pro rollouts.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
I'm a bit concerned what this would do to the price, this year I expected the 13 inch to get a price drop like the air. If Apple puts retina displays across the lineup the price is most likely to increase, having the option of a what screen you wanted would help.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

But will it match the Haswell performance and, at the same time keeping power consumption lower?

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
If they consolidate the Macbook Pro lines which pricing structure will they maintain? The Retina or Classic?

A $1199 Retina Macbook Pro base model would revitalise Apple's market share and do their image the world of good.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
well, I don't think Apple's going to be making x86 processors, so then you'd have to invoke an ARM MacBook Air.

arn
One out-of-the-box idea:

Apple ask Intel to produce their new A* CPU instead of Samsung and make in addition a hybrid X86 and Apple-designed A* Core. This way they can still use high performance to drive retina screens, FCP X and Photoshop. On the other side for many cases a new power safe mode with ARM support only for simple email and surfing could increase runtime of battery.
Could be easier to realize in a two chip-design though.

Or nothing really happen and they just use Haswell ...

Last edited:

baliset

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
rMBP with fusion drives?

I'd like to ask everyone what they think the chances are of new MBPs having fusion drives (hybridized solid-state drives and HDDs) as one way of addressing the high price of large capacity storage on their flagship laptop.
Plus: lowers $/Gb for storage, contains most of the performance increases of SSDs
Minus: reintroduces a part apple have EOL'd, could be seen (illogically) as a step back.

Personally, the inability to replace the battery after a couple of years into what will be a ~4 year life cycle is a deal breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.