Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:13 AM   #26
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

I don't see why Apple would choose to put Retina in the MBA's when it's such a great USP of the MBP's. Not only this, but it would require plenty of revisions under the hood, such as the battery.
miniroll32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:13 AM   #27
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

cant wait !
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:16 AM   #28
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn
That would be horrible (a switch to, say, ARM-architecture).

I'm pretty sure it would ultimately result in massive delays for Mac versions of Intel software. Some vital software would completely disappear. Adobe? And the blossoming PC>Mac game industry would die once again.

We've been there before — through the PowerPC>Intel-switch. Please Apple, don't do it to us again. You did a remarkable transition last time, but this time it would be in the wrong direction.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:21 AM   #29
vikpt
macrumors regular

So will the Macbook Air become more expensive?
vikpt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:22 AM   #30
SpiderDude
macrumors member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I don't mind the standard retina display (as long as prices are more reasonable than current rMBP prices) or even lack of optical drive in the next MBP. But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

If the roadmap is accurate, I hope Apple leaves the soldered ram and proprietary SSD to the MBA line where portability is paramount, and gives the MBP line (retina or not) user upgradeable parts.

But going by what they did to the new iMac, I wouldn't hold my breath...
I approve and endorse every word of this comment, though it probably doesn't need it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:22 AM   #31
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
With the iPad 2, Apple has retained an older product and lowered its price to make room for a new product, but that move would also be unusual for Apple's notebook line.
Apple needs to retain a low entry point, so (assuming retina entails a price increase) I'd suggest that at least one model of the non-retina MBA is retained.
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:24 AM   #32
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
That would be horrible (a switch to, say, ARM-architecture).

I'm pretty sure it would ultimately result in massive delays for Mac versions of Intel software. Some vital software would completely disappear. Adobe? And the blossoming PC>Mac game industry would die once again.

We've been there before — through the PowerPC>Intel-switch. Please Apple, don't do it to us again. You did a remarkable transition last time, but this time it would be in the wrong direction.
More apps sold in the mac app store = more $$$$ for apple. Sad but true.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:29 AM   #33
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn
That would have to be ARM then. It's not impossible given the performance of Apple's A6 and ARM's Cortex A15 (quad core at high clocks might be able to match the current chips in MBAs, assuming performance scales linearly). My take is that the new platform is simply Haswell, though.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:30 AM   #34
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
I don't see why Apple would choose to put Retina in the MBA's when it's such a great USP of the MBP's. Not only this, but it would require plenty of revisions under the hood, such as the battery.
Yep. I see them adding high-res displays to the Pro line, then slimming them down over the years to replace the Air models entirely.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:33 AM   #35
buddybd
macrumors 6502

Apple previously got SB ULV before others, so it might get Haswell ULV too. I don't see an ARM laptop happening at the current state of things, as great as they are, they aren't ready for computer use, or at least my use.
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:38 AM   #36
tallchris
macrumors member

Just in: Apple to release new iPod Shuffle with retina display!

----------

Apple to introduce new earphones with retina display!

----------

Apple to release new battery charger with retina display!
tallchris is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:44 AM   #37
buddybd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallchris View Post
Just in: Apple to release new iPod Shuffle with retina display!

----------

Apple to introduce new earphones with retina display!

----------

Apple to release new battery charger with retina display!
Apple TV with Retina Display...*dreams*
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:46 AM   #38
vmistery
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
That would have to be ARM then. It's not impossible given the performance of Apple's A6 and ARM's Cortex A15 (quad core at high clocks might be able to match the current chips in MBAs, assuming performance scales linearly). My take is that the new platform is simply Haswell, though.
I thought the current ARM designs were 32bit only though? In other words no 8GB RAM or 64 bit applications
vmistery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:51 AM   #39
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously outlined his expectations for Apple's 2013 plans back in August.
June, not August. They did it right before WWDC 2012.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:53 AM   #40
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502

Of course - less than 30 days after I purchased my 2012 MBA, a rumour of Haswell/retina appears!

As its likely to see a price bump with retina, glad I purchased when I did though...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:55 AM   #41
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmistery View Post
I thought the current ARM designs were 32bit only though? In other words no 8GB RAM or 64 bit applications
ARMv8 will be 64-bit but we most likely won't see it until 2014.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #42
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I would be very surprised to see the MBP updated in 2013, I think it will be discontinued leaving the Mac Pro (desktop) as the only Mac with DVD.

I think it's clear the the MBP retina and MBA are the future, now there is an outside chance they will have a 'cheap' non retina model based on the retina case with SSD and no DVD. But I'm sure what ever happens there will still be a more affordable MacBook in the range.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:57 AM   #43
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Great news - if true, of course.

Hopefully a retina Cinema Display and a new Mac Pro follow a few months after the supposed new MacBook Air and Pro rollouts.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:58 AM   #44
bb426
macrumors 6502

Quote:

arn
Let's not get carried away

But, I wouldn't call it too crazy.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:59 AM   #45
MMOTotal
macrumors regular

I'm a bit concerned what this would do to the price, this year I expected the 13 inch to get a price drop like the air. If Apple puts retina displays across the lineup the price is most likely to increase, having the option of a what screen you wanted would help.
MMOTotal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:01 AM   #46
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
But will it match the Haswell performance and, at the same time keeping power consumption lower?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:03 AM   #47
tdream
macrumors 65816

If they consolidate the Macbook Pro lines which pricing structure will they maintain? The Retina or Classic?

A $1199 Retina Macbook Pro base model would revitalise Apple's market share and do their image the world of good.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:09 AM   #48
jmpnop
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
Please don't get rid of the disc drive in the MBP!
This. Just hope they don't do anything stupid like they did with the new iMac
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:10 AM   #49
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
well, I don't think Apple's going to be making x86 processors, so then you'd have to invoke an ARM MacBook Air.

arn
One out-of-the-box idea:

Apple ask Intel to produce their new A* CPU instead of Samsung and make in addition a hybrid X86 and Apple-designed A* Core. This way they can still use high performance to drive retina screens, FCP X and Photoshop. On the other side for many cases a new power safe mode with ARM support only for simple email and surfing could increase runtime of battery.
Could be easier to realize in a two chip-design though.

Or nothing really happen and they just use Haswell ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Typo
ChristianJapan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:12 AM   #50
baliset
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to baliset
rMBP with fusion drives?

I'd like to ask everyone what they think the chances are of new MBPs having fusion drives (hybridized solid-state drives and HDDs) as one way of addressing the high price of large capacity storage on their flagship laptop.
Plus: lowers $/Gb for storage, contains most of the performance increases of SSDs
Minus: reintroduces a part apple have EOL'd, could be seen (illogically) as a step back.

Personally, the inability to replace the battery after a couple of years into what will be a ~4 year life cycle is a deal breaker.
baliset is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion