Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhfreelance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hi there

I have a router already, but as i have a large home it doesn't cover all rooms. I have a ethernet cable from that router, to the other end of my house. Can I connect Time Capsule to that cable (from the router) and use it as router no. 2?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Rasmus Henriksen

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Take a look at this link. I have had some success with it.

If not, then what make is the other router? Is it able partake in WDS?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Thanks for your answer - I am not sure i understand this :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system

Basically if you have two routers that have WDS then they can automatically act as repeaters / extenders. All Apple routers have this, and only some other manufacturers.

Another question: is the Time Capsule a good solid and secure router to use?

It's as secure as any other, and I find it easier to use with the Airport Utility software installed on your Mac.

rhfreelance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Ah I see, I have a Linksys WRT610N.. Can't find any specifications that mentions WDS..

Okay, great - in case that Time Capsule can reach all rooms, I'll just switch to that one..

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ah I see, I have a Linksys WRT610N.. Can't find any specifications that mentions WDS..

Okay, great - in case that Time Capsule can reach all rooms, I'll just switch to that one..

Have you tried the link in my first post? Basically it forms the same large wireless network.

rhfreelance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Have you tried the link in my first post? Basically it forms the same large wireless network.

I haven't got the Time Capsule yet - I just wanted to hear my options when it arrives :) But I'll defenetly try your guide..

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
In my experience, the Apple router usually prefers to be the first in line with your modem connection. You will probably want to enable bridge mode (which turns off routing) on the secondary router, so as not to run into a double NAT (Network Address Translation). Weird things can happen with double NAT so it is best to just avoid it entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.