Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
I call BS.

Nobody wants wearable electronics. They seem useful in most people's imagination, but in reality they're not extremely practical (especially since you need your phone with you anyway).

Yes, you're right. That's absolutely not an iPod Nano i've got strapped to my wrist every day and that i'm looking at now.

----------

meh.
The nano didnt catch on as a watch for a very good reason.

No, as a watch it's merely a watch. But it's great for listening to music and podcasts on, meaning each year i only need to cheaper 16gb iPhone instead of the larger size ones to fit on all my audio and apps.

as for not catching on, i've got one and use it as a watch and an iPod. And three other people in my office got themselves one shortly after and use it as their watch.

So I think what you meant to say was "The nano didnt catch on as a watch within my small circle of friends, family and acquaintances, but I've no idea how it did in the rest of the world."

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Not too keen on the watches in the news post; but something akin to the previous generation iPod Nano could be interesting.

The real question though is why would they be collaborating with Intel on this? Surely they would just use the same components found in iOS devices.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I wear a watch ($10 watch from a big box store :rolleyes:) but I'd love to be able to glance down to see if someone has tried to contact me.

I work in a place with a fair amount of noise and distraction. I miss calls, texts and emails every day.

This rumor could be true, and could explain the change in size of the Nano, which I was certain that one day it could be able to connect to an iOS device.
Exactly. This could be HUGE for apple. i bet people would pay 200 for the watch if it has sir, The whole notification tab, missed calls text, music playing and track selection.
I would pay 200 for that on my wrist so i dont go in my pocket as much.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I call BS.

Nobody wants wearable electronics. They seem useful in most people's imagination, but in reality they're not extremely practical (especially since you need your phone with you anyway).

I think your wrong in that, lots of people wear sports watches and Nike have sold a lot of Fuel Band devices, I even like it! But when we talk about smart watches you are right, not many wear them.
Can we imagine how much Apple would charge for it though? And their are a lot better watches out there then anything Apple can make for a price. But personally I call bs on this one considering how much Apple has invested in mobile SOCs and buying fabrication companies, why would they team up with Intel and waste all their own resources?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
What is surprising, about it?

Besides a touch of sarcasm, which I guess you did not get, there are time telling devices almost everywhere you go.

If you see my other posts about clocks in cars, public places, offices, computer menu section etc., etc. and most people these days have their smart phones handy to check what time it is and check for possibly missed messages too.

Because of that it is the exception that during the day I actually need to check to know what time it is.

But, if wearing a watch makes you happy or you are in a profession where you need it all the time, go for it!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think your wrong in that, lots of people wear sports watches and Nike have sold a lot of Fuel Band devices, I even like it! But when we talk about smart watches you are right, not many wear them.
Can we imagine how much Apple would charge for it though? And their are a lot better watches out there then anything Apple can make for a price. But personally I call bs on this one considering how much Apple has invested in mobile SOCs and buying fabrication companies, why would they team up with Intel and waste all their own resources?

I think its especially damning considering the price on the LiveView by Sony shown in this article as an example of what this might be. It's sold for around 25$, does Facebook, twitter, notifications, basically about everything this would be rumored to do except take phone calls directly (you can see who's calling and choose whether to mute the call from the LiveView or just take out your phone to answer).

That doesn't leave much space for Apple to get a premium product with a premium price tag and healthy margins. Plus I'm not thinking Sony is moving a lot of these, even though they are compatible with any Android handset running 2.1+ and having the LiveView app installed.

So this really seems like someone over-thinking the 6th gen Nano again.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
All I'm saying, is that Tech-head watch wearers should be elated if this is true. All my watch would need is a Mic, vibrate, and a caller ID ticker.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Besides a touch of sarcasm, which I guess you did not get, there are time telling devices almost everywhere you go.

If you see my other posts about clocks in cars, public places, offices, computer menu section etc., etc. and most people these days have their smart phones handy to check what time it is and check for possibly missed messages too.

Because of that it is the exception that during the day I actually need to check to know what time it is.

But, if wearing a watch makes you happy or you are in a profession where you need it all the time, go for it!

Ok

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I think it's a stretch to say the "iPhone" put the watch industry out of business.

----------

It's certainly not in the younger age fashion world. The up and comings. 25 and younger.

Every 25 and under girl in Japan wears a watch- usually big and clunky. Who do think sets fashion trends for the rest of the world? Tokyo. What you see in Tokyo appears six months later in Los Angeles and a year later in NYC and London.

Deleo77

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Kind of Surprised at the Response

I am not a hardcore Apple fan, but I am still a little surprised at the response to this rumor. First, people are thinking to narrowly when they look at the Pebble, or refer to it as a watch. I predict it will be called the iBand. And millions of people will be wearing them within a couple of years. This is Apple's answer to Google Glasses. Yes, there are differences, but think about wearable computing. Where will most people wear them, as glasses or a wristband?

The iBand will use Corning's bendable willow glass, and it will have Siri, so you will just touch the screen and give it commands. "Turn off the lights, play a movie, turn up the volume, or call...". These iBand's will eventually have the ability to call people, so with a Bluetooth headset, that is the phone. No need to hold anything. The curved glass with oled display on this iBand will introduce an immediate cool factor. They will be light and flexible, and will be the input device that controls our digital lives. In a few years we will wonder how we ever got by without them.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
No. Why? Who uses a watch?

A wristwatch is so 20th century. Unless it's a Dick Tracy-type watch with FaceTime, I'm taking a "No" on this.

And I also predict that Google Glasses will be an epic fail, if they actually start final production on it. Reason? My ophthamologist recently gave me back 20/20 vision with keratotomy. Think I want to go back to stupid eyeglasses, no matter what goofy things I can do with it? Uh-uh. The technological breakthrough is "no glasses." No more worn spots on your nose. No more reflections on the glass. No more cleaning glasses. Ben Franklin, you did a heck of a job inventing bifocals, now get lost!

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
An electronic watch? From Apple?! (...) No thanks. I'm happy with my Omega Seamaster :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I think Gruber said it best.

Maybe Apple is working on a smart watch. Maybe Intel is working on a smart watch. I’ll bet Intel would love to collaborate with Apple on a smart watch.

But there is no way in hell that Apple is working with any other company, Intel or otherwise, on any unannounced new products. Think, people.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Really, if this comes to be, I'll start seriously questionning whether Apple just looks at what Sony does and then ship their own version of it. Chiclet keyboard, MacBook Air and now a watch that connects and extends your phone.

Even if Apple makes this popular for some reason, seems to be a gadget fad more than anything else. Don't see many people running around with Sony LiveViews for their Android handsets even though it's only like 25$ :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Liveview-display-Android/dp/B004E2V4NM

People don't buy it because:

1) It's a Sony.
2) It runs Android.
3) It doesn't have enough battery power
4) It's cheaply made. (See reason 1)
5) It doesn't work most of the time. (See reason 1 again)

They have also updated it, new version sell for a $100, it's better, but its still not a fourth of what an Apple watch would be, paired up to an iPhone.

Try reading the reviews before posting this crud.

I am not sure I am excited about having a watch that I would need to charge at least once a week.

You think Apple could make a watch that runs off of something like EcoDrive or Kinetic energy? Ideally the watch should last for at least a month without having to charge it. And it needs to be waterproof/water resistant.

It would use Bluetooth and drive a backlite display. It's also not a watch, but an HMI display, so even charging every night (but at least two days would be preferable) would be acceptable.

Sbowmann

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Integrated Siri would be great. Sports enthusiast would love it. But what about a Bluetooth locator? How many times have you walked away from your phone, not remembering where you laid it down?

When the Bluetooth connection to your phone is broken, then your watch would vibrate, alerting you that you are no longer in contact with your phone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To everyone that think watches are just fashion items. It's still much faster and more convenient to quickly glance at your wrist than pulling your phone out of your pocket.
I'm not saying they are not fashion items as well though. It's the only jewelry a man can wear except his wedding ring IMHO ;)

Not to mention that when I am sitting down, it would be quite troublesome to take my phone out of a tight pair of jeans just to check my email or sms. In this sense, being able to do the same tasks on a watch would be much more convenient. I am still not very comfortable with dictating replies via siri, but I imagine it would be viable for short, quick replies like "ok", "noted" or "thanks".

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Every 25 and under girl in Japan wears a watch- usually big and clunky. Who do think sets fashion trends for the rest of the world? Tokyo. What you see in Tokyo appears six months later in Los Angeles and a year later in NYC and London.

.\ Culture plays a lot into it.

This never seemed to catch on in the USA.

oh-japan.jpg

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Aside from the headphones (which I am not sure how water resistant they actually are) does Apple make anything that they specifically list as water resistant?

I don't think so. But I won't be buying any smart watch until its water proof and shock proof.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Really, if this comes to be, I'll start seriously questionning whether Apple just looks at what Sony does and then ship their own version of it. Chiclet keyboard, MacBook Air and now a watch that connects and extends your phone.

Even if Apple makes this popular for some reason, seems to be a gadget fad more than anything else. Don't see many people running around with Sony LiveViews for their Android handsets even though it's only like 25$ :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Liveview-display-Android/dp/B004E2V4NM

I thought I wasn't the only that is reminded of that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.