Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rvervuurt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Hi!

Something weird happened to my iPhone 5 today:
As I was texting someone, I heard a small *pop* and noticed a crack running from the speaker to the side of the phone (the area with the volume-buttons). I have not dropped it since I bought it on the release and have had a case on it as soon as I bought it (about 1,5 month ago).

Here is an image:
(click to enlarge)

I'm using the Tech21 Impact Snap because I know myself and would drop the phone sooner or later, haha. Just to clarify: I didn't drop it YET, so this crack is not a result of a drop.

What I suspect is my case. It's a snap-on, so it's quite tight around the phone. I'm afraid it put too much pressure on the glass, having the crack as a result.

It's also a crack that's clearly not from a drop, as there is no star from the point of impact (if there was one) or chip in the aluminum on the side.

It pisses me off, because I'm pretty sure Apple will wave it away as a user fail.

Please let me know if you need more information!

Thanks
Robbert

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't think apple will wave it away. There have been plenty of cases of cracked glass that didn't occur from dropping. Take it in and see. There's obviously no damage from a drop near the crack.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
That's for if you already handed in a product for reparation...

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.

You are kidding, right?

Yea, take it in a see what Apple has to say about it. There obviously isn't any damage from a drop so they will more than likely replace it for you.

----------

Why are you asking him to bend his phone? No one in their right mind would try and bend it on purpose. Please stop.

One only has to look at his history here and realize what this guy is and that it will not stop. He's been away for a while but I guess that 1-He's either been banned from the other Apple sites and/or 2-He's grown tired/ they've grown tired of him on the Android sites. So now he's back here to spread his hate of Apple.

An updated Avatar will be need in a few short weeks!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
That looks like the glass cracked from the stress of the metal frame it is attached to. The fact that it starts from the speaker cut out-weakest point and not impact point is visible leads me to believe this. I would take it in, take off the case, please your case. Firm but persistent.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yea, take it in a see what Apple has to say about it. There obviously isn't any damage from a drop so they will more than likely replace it for you.

----------

One only has to look at his history here and realize what this guy is and that it will not stop. He's been away for a while but I guess that 1-He's either been banned from the other Apple sites and/or 2-He's grown tired/ they've grown tired of him on the Android sites. So now he's back here to spread his hate of Apple.

An updated Avatar will be need in a few short weeks!

Oh I know who he is, we got heated several times about the bent iPhones. But I'm trying to figure out why he's now resorting to asking someone to destroy their own phone. Is it for his own enjoyment?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You two seriously don't see how this relates to bendgate? Sudden crack out of nowhere with a case on? Where have I heard that before? I bet his iPhone is already bent. What I want him to do is try to bend it a bit more with his hands just to see what happens and to see what level of force it takes to get flex.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You two seriously don't see how this relates to bendgate? Sudden crack out of nowhere with a case on? Where have I heard that before? I bet his iPhone is already bent. What I want him to do is try to bend it a bit more with his hands just to see what happens and to see what level of force it takes to get flex.

That would void his warranty though. He needs to take it to apple first. He can visually inspect it for a bend if he wants, but there is no need for him to try and physically bend it. Stop calling it bendgate. There is no bendgate. People mistreated their phone. End of story. This person has not. It's a screen crack. Leave it be and let apple replace it. Don't tell someone to further destroy their product and ruin their chances of getting it replaced for free.

Besides, none of the of the bent phone have cracked glass.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
The way the screen and internals attach to the phone makes it so the case will bend and the screen stays in place, the phone bends easily because its made out of aluminum end of story I took my phone out of my sector 5 case the other day and noticed its slightly bent and its never been dropped or mishandled there is no bend gate the phones just fragile

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
That would void his warranty though. He needs to take it to apple first. He can visually inspect it for a bend if he wants, but there is no need for him to try and physically bend it. Stop calling it bendgate. There is no bendgate. People mistreated their phone. End of story. This person has not. It's a screen crack. Leave it be and let apple replace it. Don't tell someone to further destroy their product and ruin their chances of getting it replaced for free.

Besides, none of the of the bent phone have cracked glass.

Well, according to the bendgate threads, the Apple loyalists say you can't bend the iPhone 5 with just your hands so we should put it to the test. Check to see if it is already bent and try bending just a bit to test. And bendgate exists and its name is not changing.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, according to the bendgate threads, the Apple loyalists say you can't bend the iPhone 5 with just your hands so we should put it to the test. Check to see if it is already bent and try bending just a bit to test. And bendgate exists and its name is not changing.

I don't recall anyone ever saying you couldn't bend it with just your bare hands, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere. It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility to bend it with human force. I could break any smart phone out there with just my hands. They aren't made of adamantium or anything. But what you're asking the OP to do is just a bad idea all around. What if he tries to bend it "just a bit" and breaks it even further. Then he has no grounds for a warranty replacement at all.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

If your like to put it to the test, bend your 5. If you even have one. "Bendgate" doesn't exist. There are what, maybe 10 people total that have posted issues. A far cry from a actual issue. Please, do tell us how your 5 bends. Post pics.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I noticed you're from The Netherlands (as am I). In The Netherlands, within the first 6 months after purchase, the manufacturer (Apple) has to prove that any damage to the device was caused by the user. In you're case that's very hard since there is no evidence that you dropped it. I give you a very good chance that you'll get a new one for free.

http://www.apple.com/nl/legal/statutory-warranty/

Look at footnote 2:
Op grond van artikel 7:17 e.v. BW dient een verkoper een product af te leveren dat “aan de overeenkomst beantwoordt” (conformiteit). Een product beantwoordt niet aan de overeenkomst (non-conformiteit) indien het gezien de aard van het product en de mededelingen van de verkoper niet de eigenschappen bezit die de koper op grond van de overeenkomst redelijkerwijs mocht verwachten. Een product dient op het moment van levering aan de overeenkomst te beantwoorden. Het feit dat een defect pas na levering ontstaat wil niet zeggen dat het product op het moment van levering aan de overeenkomst beantwoordde. In principe gaat de plicht om aan te tonen dat het gebrek bij levering reeds bestond na afloop van een periode van 6 maanden na levering over op de consument. Let op: een consument dient een gebrek binnen bekwame tijd aan de verkoper laten weten. Als een consument binnen 2 maanden na ontdekking van het gebrek heeft geklaagd, is hij volgens de wet op tijd. Consumenten kunnen onder meer aanspraak maken op kosteloze reparatie of vervanging indien een product niet aan de overeenkomst beantwoordt.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
haha Apple is on a leash in countries other than the US. In the US they can do pretty much anything they want but in other countries they have to conform to their rules

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
haha Apple is on a leash in countries other than the US. In the US they can do pretty much anything they want but in other countries they have to conform to their rules

They have at tendency to ignore local laws outside the US though.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
This exact same issue occurred on my wife's 4s and Apple refused to replace it initially. If the case caused the crack, then the case manufacturer is responsible for it. I had to fight tooth and nails to get it replaced by Apple.

Hint: A drop will create a spider web crack

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Like others have said, just keep on at apple until they fix it for you.

They should be able to tell that it wasn't obviously dropped. Any glass can fail unexpectedly if theres some minor flaw in manufacture.

Good luck with it and resist the temptation to bend it :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.