Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I am addressing here iPad users with iPhones,

I have been a happy iPad user for the past 2 years . Recently I got my first iPhone. Since I did so I have almost stopped using my iPad. All The activities that I enjoyed doing on my iPad I can do on my iPhone and its probably better because the iphone is "in your pocket" all the time and can be handled by one hand
-Twitter
-eMail
-IMDB
-Instagram
-Youtube
-Reminders
Even playing music in my car is easier to do with an iphone. since I can handle it with one hand.

Surprisingly other apps are better on the iPhone such as Dead Trigger and NOVA , I was surprised how much better these games handle better due to the smaller screen.

iPad of course will be better to play games that need a larger screen space like Monkey Island.

I was wondering what you guys still keep using your iPad for other than reading, because as far as reading goes I think you might be better off with the cheaper better for reading Kindle which is around $100 than the $500 ipad.

I would like to say my iPad can replace my laptop, but currently the ipad will not:
-Run Flash
-Torrent
-Do office work
-Have a file system where I can see my files and arrange them
-Storage space of media
and then there is more.

i am of course not bashing the iPad, I am just saying that the 2 products are too similar. I would like to hear what do you still use your iPad for.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I use my iPad for surfing, reading, Citrix access to company, mind mapping, some games, email, other productivity tools, educational apps. The bigger screeen is still a big plus with the bigger keyboard. Of course when space is limited or for the quick look in between the iPhone is fine.
Hardly ever listen to music from iPad, that's the iPod touch for ;)

Why no kindle ? I can still easy share data with iCloud between my devices, share apps etc. Kindle or Android would not fit as well. Advantage and disadvantage of an Eco system. :eek:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I am addressing here iPad users with iPhones,

I have been a happy iPad user for the past 2 years . Recently I got my first iPhone. Since I did so I have almost stopped using my iPad. All The activities that I enjoyed doing on my iPad I can do on my iPhone and its probably better because the iphone is "in your pocket" all the time and can be handled by one hand
-Twitter
-eMail
-IMDB
-Instagram
-Youtube
-Reminders
Even playing music in my car is easier to do with an iphone. since I can handle it with one hand.

Surprisingly other apps are better on the iPhone such as Dead Trigger and NOVA , I was surprised how much better these games handle better due to the smaller screen.

iPad of course will be better to play games that need a larger screen space like Monkey Island.

I was wondering what you guys still keep using your iPad for other than reading, because as far as reading goes I think you might be better off with the cheaper better for reading Kindle which is around $100 than the $500 ipad.
<-$100 Kindle will not efficiently run FlipBoard, Reeder, or NewStand apps. Will not browse forums easily.

I would like to say my iPad can replace my laptop, but currently the ipad will not:
-Run Flash <-- what website uses Flash? Even Adobe has retired it in the mobile space.
-Torrent <--uTorrent Remote
-Do office work <-- ugggggh iPad is a consumption device, with a tiny splash of productivity.
-Have a file system where I can see my files and arrange them <-- uncessary for a consumption device.
-Storage space of media <-- it does this very well.
and then there is more.

i am of course not bashing the iPad, I am just saying that the 2 products are too similar. I would like to hear what do you still use your iPad for.
comments interspersed.

iPad at home, on the couch, bed, lounge chair, on the patio or swing. Occasionally, very occasionally in a messenger bag slung over my shoulders.

iPhone in my pocket on the go.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For its easy.
The < 100 kindle has no front or backlight light so its a poor choice.
The mini is only 329 not 500 and the paperwhite version of the kindle is 119 or 139 (without ads). So for 190 more dollars I get a device that has a lot more uses then the kindle.

I also don't need to carry two tablets with me, a kindle for reading and my iPad mini for other stuff.

At the end of the day its personal preference - some like the kindle because its great at what it does, but for me spending a little more I get a tablet that I can use for reading, but also surfing, games, note taking emails spreadsheets etc.

I do find that I like doing those things on my mini rather then my iPhone, as the larger form factor works in the mini's favor vs. the iPhone

DoctorWho

Suspended
Jun 18, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My experience has been the opposite coming from the other way. I've had iPhones ever since the 3G and bought a 1st gen iPad when it came out. Ever since then, everything that I loved doing on my iPhone (web, emails, games, etc.) I do almost exclusively on my iPad, especially since I got my Mini. I find the iPhone is too small for most of these things and nowadays really only use it for calls, texts, music and to quickly find something.

Everyone's experience is different, I suppose! :p:apple:

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
My iPad is the first generation, so the only thing I'll probably be using it for is web surfing and Hulu. Will most likely use my iPhone for everything else.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
I'm kind of the opposite too. I've had every iPhones since iPhone 3 but the iPad 4 is my first iPad. I find myself using the iPad for everything now, at least at home. On the go there is still no substitute for the iPhone.

Looked at the mini but didn't need to carry it with me everywhere since I had the iPhone so I went with the maxi pad.

Very satisfied with the iPhone and iPad combo.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You recently got a new iPhone so it may be a novelty thing presently.

You wouldn't rather play games, read books, web browse or watch movies on a larger iPad? And I had a Mini which is obviously larger than an Iphone, and I switched to a 4th gen and rather use that for what I listed instead.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I think you have found a nice balance OP. One device that is portable. One device that is best for reading. And one device to keep at home.

For me, the Mini is my portable device. The iPad is my home device.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This is a very interesting thread.

I am by no means a "power user", but like a few other have already posted, I consider myself to be the opposite of the OP.

I prefer to use my iPad 2 instead of my iPhone 4 whenever possible. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the iPad mini 2 and the iPhone 5S whenever they are released next year, but my plan is to get the top of the line iPad mini and the baseline iPhone.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm the other way, too. I first started with the original iPod touch, and loved it, but always felt like it would be easier to use if it were slightly bigger. When the iPad came out, I preordered it sight unseen, I was that convinced it would be the device I'd been waiting for. And I wasn't disappointed. I did keep my touch, but only for use as a music player, and for the odd times I wanted to go out without carrying any bags. Eventually, my boss got me an iPhone, paid for by the office, but I use it much less than my iPad. I now have an iPad mini, which I use when I go out, but I prefer the full-size iPad when I'm at home.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Now that I have a mini in addition to my iPhone 5 & iPad 4, I find I'm using the iP5 with it's cramped screen much less than before. I travel a lot, thus my needs would be better met with just one device. But Apples stubborn refusal to build an optimum smartphone kills that idea. I must have a larger keyboard & display, the mini fits that requirement ideally. In fact since its rather obvious Apples obsession with small smartphone displays is permanent, I'm going to sell my iPhone 5, and replace it with a sleek compact feature phone. Frankly it's an idea I got from a friend thats already using this combo & it's great.

----------

For me, the Mini is my portable device. The iPad is my home device.

I'm doing this & it's a great solution.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
iphone for music and messaging
ipad for reading browsing, watching movies and videos

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
The iPad for me is a fabulous ideas notebook/sketch pad ... for projects involving words, visuals, music ... I'm using iPad 2 and 4 for different things ... They are saving forests of trees as I hardly use paper anymore, have cleared shelves of heaps of books I no longer need, I have lots of reference materials on them, and as well as all the ways in which I use them for work in tandem with the computers in my sig, they do GPS in my car, assist with cooking (recipes, some in video form, as well as ingredient shopping lists built into those apps), plus all Internet things ... I use the iPhone for that if I'm out without an iPad, but I prefer the bigger screen.

Great and very cheap music apps are a big plus, along with apps that allow me to handwrite, type and sketch all in the same app or, as with Evernote and Penultimate, in combination and in sync ... the 2 iPads and phone.

They have revolutionised the way I work. The iPhone and computers are important but the iPads are used much more.

jrtdot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Had the exact opposite experience as OP. once I got the ipad, some things just seemed stupid to do on the iPhone or just more intriguing (chalk it up to new gadget goggles). Now it's more of a balance thing. When I'm at home it is all about the ipad, when outside of any wifi zone it's the iPhone. Of course also it boils down to specific apps too (flipboard for example looks awesome on ipad, on iPhone to me not so much).

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Mail is certainly better on the iPad. You can also use flipboard better. Surfing the net is also better on the iPad as well. If you say I am wrong, then you simply like your new toy better than your old. Time to get a new iPad...

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I've had an iPhone long before I had an ipad and gotta say I'm also the opposite of the OP. I had used my iPhone for almost all my daily basic browsing needs --the phone was practically glued to my hand--then I got my ipad which switched it all up for me. Since i got my ipad, my iPhone is truly now my on the go device and backup when I can't use the ipad or laptop. The ipad for me makes things so much more easier with the larger screen/keyboard ..the not having to pinch and zoom is such a plus..only downside is the apps. While a majority of the apps I use have an ipad version some do not. Small thing really but the only downside I've personally found.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
I use My mini at Home and the iphone 5 on the go. Sometimes I feel like I've wasted money on my mini since my phone does everything but it has kinda replaced my laptop. It's great for bed and sofa.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
In fact since its rather obvious Apples obsession with small smartphone displays is permanent, I'm going to sell my iPhone 5, and replace it with a sleek compact feature phone. Frankly it's an idea I got from a friend thats already using this combo & it's great.

I've been mulling over this idea myself. I picked up an AT&T GoPhone for $10 at Best Buy before the holidays and I've been thinking about activating it to try this out.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've been mulling over this idea myself. I picked up an AT&T GoPhone for $10 at Best Buy before the holidays and I've been thinking about activating it to try this out.

Having the day off & posting what my friend is doing, reignited my interest yesterday. So I posted my iPhone 5 on Craigslist, sold it in an hour & promptly went to Target. Bought a Samsung Tracfone designed for texting & calling. At a mere .06 per minute it easily bests the other no contract phones. Since I was elegible for an upgrade at AT&T there was no ETF to pay.

I'm now saving a huge sum of money by no longrt paying for data. With so many free public hotspots, I stay commented with my mini at no cost quite easisily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.