Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Buying a (Retina?) MBP off of kijiji

So I found an ad on kijiji, for a 2012 MBP (assuming this is a retina?)
He says he doesn't know anything about macs, and that's why he's selling it. But get this...it's only $850. Too good to be true? We'll find out

He said its a 15" i5 with 4GB of ram, but doesn't know anything else about it because he's technologically inclined.

Other than where the power button is located,how can I tell this is a 2012 model? We will be meeting at an Apple store to make sure it's legit and not stolen, I suppose I could ask these questions there, but I'd rather save time.

Thanks!
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Please help. I'm exchanging emails with him as I type this and I don't want to get scammed.

To answer any future questions: didn't specify if it's the June 2012 model or October (retina model)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Please help. I'm exchanging emails with him as I type this and I don't want to get scammed.

To answer any future questions: didn't specify if it's the June 2012 model or October (retina model)
The June 15" is the Retina model. Ask him for the serial number. Use the EveryMac lookup to find which model it is.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;16569030
The June 15" is the Retina model. Ask him for the serial number. Use the EveryMac lookup to find which model it is.
Ok, I misunderstood that.

Anyway, I asked to meet him at an Apple store and said I'm "so rude," and that he was gonna report me to kijiji "admin" for harrassment. Either way, I smelt trouble from this guy.

And assuming its stolen considering he wouldn't meet me at the Apple store.

Also, that escalated quickly
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ok, I misunderstood that.

Anyway, I asked to meet him at an Apple store and said I'm "so rude," and that he was gonna report me to kijiji "admin" for harrassment. Either way, I smelt trouble from this guy.

Also assuming its stolen considering he wouldn't meet me at the Apple store.
Ouch. Probably stolen. I suggest you should be the one reporting things!
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Ouch. Probably stolen. I suggest you should be the one reporting things!
I was very skeptical from the beginning when he first said it was "2012" model but was 13 months old...figure that one out....
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
amoda
macrumors 6502a

Also there is no 4GB 15" retina model.
amoda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoda View Post
Also there is no 4GB 15" retina model.
Thanks for informing me. He said he already sold it, looks like he scammed someone else poor buyer

Anyway, I'm getting a new rMBP, which will be my first Mac, kind of excited.

This one I'm buying is an i7 2.6 GHz, 8 GB and 750 GB hard drive.

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to put in an ssd?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:59 AM   #9
53kyle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks for informing me. He said he already sold it, looks like he scammed someone else poor buyer

Anyway, I'm getting a new rMBP, which will be my first Mac, kind of excited.

This one I'm buying is an i7 2.6 GHz, 8 GB and 750 GB hard drive.

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to put in an ssd?
It is pretty easy to install an ssd in a rMBP, all you have to do is remove the bottom plate with a pentalobe screw driver, remove the ssd using a standard philips screw driver (I think) and then do everything in reverse with the new one, but there aren't any capacities of ssds higher than 750 GB and they are all expensive
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
It is pretty easy to install an ssd in a rMBP, all you have to do is remove the bottom plate with a pentalobe screw driver, remove the ssd using a standard philips screw driver (I think) and then do everything in reverse with the new one, but there aren't any capacities of ssds higher than 750 GB and they are all expensive
Huh? I was told it was a hard drive. But also read rMBP come only with ssds?
Are you saying this 750 GB HDD is infact an ssd?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 AM   #11
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
All rMBPs come with an SSD already. Also those SSDs that come with the rMBPs are of the proprietary variety. You won't be able to waltz into a store expecting to be able to pick up an SSD that would work with the rMBPs.

If you plan on upgrading your Apple SSD, check with OWC (macsales.com). They are not all interchangeable (e.g. MacBook Air 2011 uses a different SSD than the MacBook Air 2012).

As for the original MBP that use a standard 2.5" hard drive, as this poster said, it's very easy to swap it for a standard 2.5" SSD drive. You can find the exact steps on ifixit.com.

Quote:
Huh? I was told it was a hard drive. But also read rMBP come only with ssds?
Are you saying this 750 GB HDD is infact an ssd?
The 750GB HDD in it is a standard mechanical drive (look up the specs and you will see that it's a 5400 RPM drive). RPMs = revolutions per minute = spinning drive = non-SSD.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
All rMBPs come with an SSD already. Also those SSDs that come with the rMBPs are of the proprietary variety. You won't be able to waltz into a store expecting to be able to pick up an SSD that would work with the rMBPs.

If you plan on upgrading your Apple SSD, check with OWC (macsales.com). They are not all interchangeable (e.g. MacBook Air 2011 uses a different SSD than the MacBook Air 2012).

As for the original MBP that use a standard 2.5" hard drive, as this poster said, it's very easy to swap it for a standard 2.5" SSD drive. You can find the exact steps on ifixit.com.

The 750GB HDD in it is a standard mechanical drive (look up the specs and you will see that it's a 5400 RPM drive). RPMs = revolutions per minute = spinning drive = non-SSD.
I know the difference between a hard disk and a solid state, but the poster above you had me confused. I'm buying this off eBay, and the ad says nothing about an SSD, which is why I'm asking about installing myself.

Please bear with me as I have never owned a Mac.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #13
amoda
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Could you share the link to the ad you're looking at? It'd be easier to advise you that way.

All rMBPs come with SSD, so if it has a mechanical HD it cannot be a rMBP.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Could you share the link to the ad you're looking at? It'd be easier to advise you that way.

All rMBPs come with SSD, so if it has a mechanical HD it cannot be a rMBP.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_2417wt_782
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:59 PM   #15
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Anyone tell me if this is a scam?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16
amoda
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Anyone tell me if this is a scam?
Well, it's not a scam, but it's not a retina Macbook Pro either. The seller looks legit, but he's selling, as advertised, a cMBP (classic "old style" macbook pro). In Canada the same configuration MBP sells for $2,199+taxes, so for $1,999 it's a good price. BUT taking into account customs + taxes + $99.55 shipping and you could've just walked into any local store and purchased it for less.

I suggest you check "Canada only" when you're searching on eBay, that way you don't have to worry about customs & *usually* not about taxes either. You'll also face cheaper shipping costs.

I'd try something like THIS auction.

He's a Canadian seller with good feedback, and you can make an offer to try and bring the overall price down. I'd make an offer for $2,000 and with shipping that should save you the taxes (I'm from NS so that's already a 15% savings) and $199 on top. If you're from Toronto you can even pick it up in person (highly recommended) and that way save on shipping and you can inspect it in person.

Last edited by amoda; Dec 29, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #17
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well, it's not a scam, but it's not a retina Macbook Pro either. The seller looks legit, but he's selling, as advertised, a cMBP (classic "old style" macbook pro). In Canada the same configuration MBP sells for $2,199+taxes, so for $1,999 it's a good price. BUT taking into account customs + taxes + $99.55 shipping and you could've just walked into any local store and purchased it for less.

I suggest you check "Canada only" when you're searching on eBay, that way you don't have to worry about customs & *usually* not about taxes either. You'll also face cheaper shipping costs.

I'd try something like THIS auction.

He's a Canadian seller with good feedback, and you can make an offer to try and bring the overall price down. I'd make an offer for $2,000 and with shipping that should save you the taxes (I'm from NS so that's already a 15% savings) and $199 on top. If you're from Toronto you can even pick it up in person (highly recommended) and that way save on shipping and you can inspect it in person.
I'm also from NS. I might cancel my order and just go to the Apple store.
(I thought all 2012 MBPs were retina...)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

go to apple.ca and check out the models and prices,i think you should do a bit of research before you hand out 2 gran to a guy on ebay or kijiji
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:40 AM   #19
ZacT94
macrumors regular

Quote:
So I found an ad on kijiji, for a 2012 MBP (assuming this is a retina?)
He said its a 15" i5 with 4GB of ram, but doesn't know anything else about it because he's technologically inclined.
There is no such thing as a 15" i5 MBP with 4GB RAM. So don't buy it.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #20
loybond
macrumors member

I would definitely not pay 2000 for the old one, considering I paid $1800 a few months ago for a brand new, sealed rMBP off Kijiji. Best computer ever.
loybond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:42 PM   #21
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacT94 View Post
There is no such thing as a 15" i5 MBP with 4GB RAM. So don't buy it.
There are, they're from 2010 rather than 2012 though.

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 7.1.1
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice