Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
So I found an ad on kijiji, for a 2012 MBP (assuming this is a retina?)
He says he doesn't know anything about macs, and that's why he's selling it. But get this...it's only $850. Too good to be true? We'll find out

He said its a 15" i5 with 4GB of ram, but doesn't know anything else about it because he's technologically inclined.

Other than where the power button is located,how can I tell this is a 2012 model? We will be meeting at an Apple store to make sure it's legit and not stolen, I suppose I could ask these questions there, but I'd rather save time.

Thanks!

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Please help. I'm exchanging emails with him as I type this and I don't want to get scammed.

To answer any future questions: didn't specify if it's the June 2012 model or October (retina model)

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
The June 15" is the Retina model. Ask him for the serial number. Use the EveryMac lookup to find which model it is.

Ok, I misunderstood that.

Anyway, I asked to meet him at an Apple store and said I'm "so rude," and that he was gonna report me to kijiji "admin" for harrassment. Either way, I smelt trouble from this guy.

And assuming its stolen considering he wouldn't meet me at the Apple store.

Also, that escalated quickly

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Ok, I misunderstood that.

Anyway, I asked to meet him at an Apple store and said I'm "so rude," and that he was gonna report me to kijiji "admin" for harrassment. Either way, I smelt trouble from this guy.

Also assuming its stolen considering he wouldn't meet me at the Apple store.

Ouch. Probably stolen. I suggest you should be the one reporting things!

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Also there is no 4GB 15" retina model.

Thanks for informing me. He said he already sold it, looks like he scammed someone else :( poor buyer

Anyway, I'm getting a new rMBP, which will be my first Mac, kind of excited.

This one I'm buying is an i7 2.6 GHz, 8 GB and 750 GB hard drive.

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to put in an ssd?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Thanks for informing me. He said he already sold it, looks like he scammed someone else :( poor buyer

Anyway, I'm getting a new rMBP, which will be my first Mac, kind of excited.

This one I'm buying is an i7 2.6 GHz, 8 GB and 750 GB hard drive.

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to put in an ssd?

It is pretty easy to install an ssd in a rMBP, all you have to do is remove the bottom plate with a pentalobe screw driver, remove the ssd using a standard philips screw driver (I think) and then do everything in reverse with the new one, but there aren't any capacities of ssds higher than 750 GB and they are all expensive

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
It is pretty easy to install an ssd in a rMBP, all you have to do is remove the bottom plate with a pentalobe screw driver, remove the ssd using a standard philips screw driver (I think) and then do everything in reverse with the new one, but there aren't any capacities of ssds higher than 750 GB and they are all expensive

Huh? I was told it was a hard drive. But also read rMBP come only with ssds?
Are you saying this 750 GB HDD is infact an ssd?

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

All rMBPs come with an SSD already. Also those SSDs that come with the rMBPs are of the proprietary variety. You won't be able to waltz into a store expecting to be able to pick up an SSD that would work with the rMBPs.

If you plan on upgrading your Apple SSD, check with OWC (macsales.com). They are not all interchangeable (e.g. MacBook Air 2011 uses a different SSD than the MacBook Air 2012).

As for the original MBP that use a standard 2.5" hard drive, as this poster said, it's very easy to swap it for a standard 2.5" SSD drive. You can find the exact steps on ifixit.com.

Huh? I was told it was a hard drive. But also read rMBP come only with ssds?
Are you saying this 750 GB HDD is infact an ssd?

The 750GB HDD in it is a standard mechanical drive (look up the specs and you will see that it's a 5400 RPM drive). RPMs = revolutions per minute = spinning drive = non-SSD.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
All rMBPs come with an SSD already. Also those SSDs that come with the rMBPs are of the proprietary variety. You won't be able to waltz into a store expecting to be able to pick up an SSD that would work with the rMBPs.

If you plan on upgrading your Apple SSD, check with OWC (macsales.com). They are not all interchangeable (e.g. MacBook Air 2011 uses a different SSD than the MacBook Air 2012).

As for the original MBP that use a standard 2.5" hard drive, as this poster said, it's very easy to swap it for a standard 2.5" SSD drive. You can find the exact steps on ifixit.com.

The 750GB HDD in it is a standard mechanical drive (look up the specs and you will see that it's a 5400 RPM drive). RPMs = revolutions per minute = spinning drive = non-SSD.

I know the difference between a hard disk and a solid state, but the poster above you had me confused. I'm buying this off eBay, and the ad says nothing about an SSD, which is why I'm asking about installing myself.

Please bear with me as I have never owned a Mac.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Anyone tell me if this is a scam?

Well, it's not a scam, but it's not a retina Macbook Pro either. The seller looks legit, but he's selling, as advertised, a cMBP (classic "old style" macbook pro). In Canada the same configuration MBP sells for $2,199+taxes, so for $1,999 it's a good price. BUT taking into account customs + taxes + $99.55 shipping and you could've just walked into any local store and purchased it for less.

I suggest you check "Canada only" when you're searching on eBay, that way you don't have to worry about customs & *usually* not about taxes either. You'll also face cheaper shipping costs.

I'd try something like THIS auction.

He's a Canadian seller with good feedback, and you can make an offer to try and bring the overall price down. I'd make an offer for $2,000 and with shipping that should save you the taxes (I'm from NS so that's already a 15% savings) and $199 on top. If you're from Toronto you can even pick it up in person (highly recommended) and that way save on shipping and you can inspect it in person.

Last edited:

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Well, it's not a scam, but it's not a retina Macbook Pro either. The seller looks legit, but he's selling, as advertised, a cMBP (classic "old style" macbook pro). In Canada the same configuration MBP sells for $2,199+taxes, so for $1,999 it's a good price. BUT taking into account customs + taxes + $99.55 shipping and you could've just walked into any local store and purchased it for less.

I suggest you check "Canada only" when you're searching on eBay, that way you don't have to worry about customs & *usually* not about taxes either. You'll also face cheaper shipping costs.

I'd try something like THIS auction.

He's a Canadian seller with good feedback, and you can make an offer to try and bring the overall price down. I'd make an offer for $2,000 and with shipping that should save you the taxes (I'm from NS so that's already a 15% savings) and $199 on top. If you're from Toronto you can even pick it up in person (highly recommended) and that way save on shipping and you can inspect it in person.

I'm also from NS. I might cancel my order and just go to the Apple store.
(I thought all 2012 MBPs were retina...)

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
go to apple.ca and check out the models and prices,i think you should do a bit of research before you hand out 2 gran to a guy on ebay or kijiji

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
So I found an ad on kijiji, for a 2012 MBP (assuming this is a retina?)
He said its a 15" i5 with 4GB of ram, but doesn't know anything else about it because he's technologically inclined.
There is no such thing as a 15" i5 MBP with 4GB RAM. So don't buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.