Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Extremely slim chance of it hurting the ram. Slightly higher than the chances of a full blown zombie apocalypse though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'd stick to Crucial RAM. I don't like using the non stock voltage (1.5V).

You don't know 3 years from now if that extra voltage will cause premature wear.

The RAM doesn't set the voltage, I believe. It's the computer that sets that. I remember from my PC days that if I put higher-voltage-requirement RAM in my PC I had to adjust the timings in the BIOS to run it. With that logic, if the iMac didn't want to run at 1.5v, it won't. I can't change any settings. Thus, I'm not even remotely worried.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Been running the Vengeance on my MBP for over 2 weeks now with zero issues. My computer isn't melting either and memtest gave the chips a clean bill of health.

People seem to have this misconception that Macs are more picky about RAM. That may have beem true from PPC days but contemporary Macs use the the same off the shelf parts from Intel that other manufacturers also use.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
The RAM doesn't set the voltage, I believe. It's the computer that sets that. I remember from my PC days that if I put higher-voltage-requirement RAM in my PC I had to adjust the timings in the BIOS to run it. With that logic, if the iMac didn't want to run at 1.5v, it won't. I can't change any settings. Thus, I'm not even remotely worried.

Actually this memory (Corsair) doesn't say 1.35V/1.5V. It just says 1.5V. No 2 modes. I'm not completely sure either. But I'd stick to 1.35V what Apple intended.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Actually this memory (Corsair) doesn't say 1.35V/1.5V. It just says 1.5V. No 2 modes. I'm not completely sure either. But I'd stick to 1.35V what Apple intended.

Right, but what I'm saying is that it's not the RAM that sets 1.5V. It's the computer. If it wasn't compatible it wouldn't work. :)

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
iFix shows that the RAM in the teardown of iMac 21.5 is a 1.5V RAM.
udF6yEaMWyWlxfHL.large

Hynix HMT351S6CFR8C-PB http://www.compuram.de/en/memory_module
should be the same of 'iMac 27''

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2003
I am also using full 32GB of that memory purchased from Amazon. no issues, running at 1600mhz

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
returning Ram and Imac 27

So not sure how to read all of the 1.5 etc that I am reading in this thread.

BUT wanted to add that I have added 4 8 gb to make the 32 gb machine.

I have had the mac since dec 21 and it was working fine. Then one day it would trun on but you could not select the user to get signed in. Basically the mouse was moving but you could not click anything.

i turned if off and then back on..and it worked. A week later - today I am at the apple store for a one on one and it did the same thing. They checked a few things and basically recommended returning the 27 inch for a new one. So I am sending it back..

reading this thread about problems with the ram..I am curious it could have been the RAM?

What problems are people seeing..

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't think anyone is seeing any issues, that I'm aware of, except for pairing it with the Apple factory RAM.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
bottom line is add either the crucial or corsair, there will be zero noticeable differences.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
wtf, i just got my 27 in along with the 32 gb or corsair ram i ordered, apparently im an idiot because i ordered the desktop ram which i assume was what i needed, and its way to big (physically in size to fit). So you guys using the corsair got the one that says laptop? Like this one here, is this the version you guys ordered? I put this one in my macbook pro, didnt realized it worked for the imac as well...*******!!!!

and why the **** does it say laptop!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 1.24.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 1.24.05 PM.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
wtf, i just got my 27 in along with the 32 gb or corsair ram i ordered, apparently im an idiot because i ordered the desktop ram which i assume was what i needed, and its way to big (physically in size to fit). So you guys using the corsair got the one that says laptop? Like this one here, is this the version you guys ordered? I put this one in my macbook pro, didnt realized it worked for the imac as well...*******!!!!

and why the **** does it say laptop!!!

That looks like the right one.

I ordered this...

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...758168&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+vengeance+16gb

Qonix

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
I think im goin to order the same.. the best one should be the kingstone hyperx , cl9. but is 40$ more than corsair.. does it worth?

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
i m planning on upgrading my late 2012 27" iMac ram to the corsair vengeance,
i will be not using the stock apple ram so will i have any performance boast or any issues? you guys have been running the corsair vengeance on ur iMacs since a while now, feedback would be great.

Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.