Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I figured since the iPad's back was aluminum instead of glass like my iPhone that back protection isn't really that much of a concern. Sure it can still scratch but when I usually have the iPad laying on the Smart Cover on a hard surface.

I've had my iPad for 3 months now and have no scratches on it.

Last edited:

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I have Ghost Armor on the back and the Smart Cover on the front. Keeps the form factor and makes me not have to worry about it getting scratched up while in use or in transit in my bag.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I have a Belkin Snap Shield and a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard on my iPad4. I keep everything in a Targus Hughes portfolio. I am just waiting for my BlueLounge Kicks for the bottom of the keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have Ghost Armor on the back and the Smart Cover on the front. Keeps the form factor and makes me not have to worry about it getting scratched up while in use or in transit in my bag.

I have a joy factory case but my kids complained about the difficulty with the buttons with this case on.

Since I have a ghost armor on the Mini, I'm trying this option out. The ghost armor on the rear and using the smart cover. So far I'm happy with how its working out.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I have a joy factory case but my kids complained about the difficulty with the buttons with this case on.

Since I have a ghost armor on the Mini, I'm trying this option out. The ghost armor on the rear and using the smart cover. So far I'm happy with how its working out.

I Ghost Armor or Invisible Shield all my iPads/iPhones. Keeps them perfect for resell. So far so good.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am one who uses the Smart Cover without any back protection on my iPads. Never had any problems with the iPad 2, the iPad 3 still looks as good as the day I brought her home, and the new iPad Mini looks terrific, too. I will add, though, that with the iPad Mini, since she is brand-new (just got her this past Tuesday) and since her back is black, while I have the Smart Cover on the front and use her with that around the house, when she's not in my hands, just like the other iPads she is always positioned on a stand rather than lying flat. When going out, I pop her into a RadTech sleeve that I had bought for one of the earlier iPads, and that protects her back from junk in my purse. Because the sleeve is meant for a larger iPad it is really easy to pull the iPad Mini out of it and to pop her back in. This is what works for me.....

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I used to do this, but back protection is so cheap I don't see why not. I got the Caudabe Shell for less than 20 bucks on Amazon and it fits perfectly and is pretty lightweight.

eBolt

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Recently purchased a Zagg leather skin as recommended by another member, nice product. It appears that it's compatible with the smart cover, however, this would need to be confirmed.

Attachments

• 2012-12-10 16.01.50.jpg
    2012-12-10 16.01.50.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 186

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am using the Product Red smart cover on my black/slate iPad mini. It's been on there since the day I got the iPad mini and there are no scratches or anything and it looks awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 244

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011

This ^^

The Ghost Armor on the back also gives it a (very) slight tacky feel that is easier to hang on to. It's a perfect solution.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I use Best Skins Ever for both my iPad 4th gen and iPad mini. I really like how it feels.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
This ^^

The Ghost Armor on the back also gives it a (very) slight tacky feel that is easier to hang on to. It's a perfect solution.

Agreed! The slightly tacky feel not only helps me hold it but also makes me feel more comfortable walking away from my ipad while its setting on a podium while I'm speaking.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I'm liking this idea better all the time

I was just thinking about dumping my case and go the smart cover + Ghost Armor route. I have this case right now

http://www.devicewear.com/the-ridge-ipad-mini-case/

and I think it's really nice. But, I noticed that my iPad is not as impressively light as when I first picked one up. So I weighed it. The case increases the weight from 11 to 17 ounces--more than 50%. That's a significant difference.

How much do the Apple smart covers weigh?

And, the Ghost Armor looks like it would be hard to apply to the back. Do you need to take it to a retailer to do this? Does the applique cover the corners well enough to prevent scratches there?

sammjordan

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
Red smart cover on my iPad mini with no back protection, usually just put it face down when I place it on a table/counter

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I used to do this, but back protection is so cheap I don't see why not. I got the Caudabe Shell for less than 20 bucks on Amazon and it fits perfectly and is pretty lightweight.

Just went and ordered this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Snap-S...keywords=Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple®+iPad

I noticed that its pretty easy to scratch the back of the iPad so decided that back protection for $10 ain't a bad deal. The case looks nice too. Should compliment the Smart Cover well.

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I just use the smart cover...no back protection. So far, I haven't noticed any scratches on the back, but then again I don't set it on many surfaces that can scratch it. I plan on giving it to my mom when the iPad 5 comes out and she doesn't care about scratches anyway.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have the Smart Cover on and off, with not back protection. So far so good. I take it to the gym on the treadmill and its great. I also keep it in my cars glove box. I'm really not into the whole hide your I-device in a lbs of plastic.

----------

Red smart cover on my iPad mini with no back protection, usually just put it face down when I place it on a table/counter

Yeah, faces down with the cover on on surfaces.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Can someone please post a link to the ghost armor to use with the Smart Cover? Thanks

I went with iCarbons instead and it turned out great. It also works with the Smart Cover. The back only protection is 14.95.

Attachments

• 2012-12-29 15.51.29.jpg
    2012-12-29 15.51.29.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 149

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
That looks sweet. Was it hard to apply it?

Honestly, no. I was a bit worried but it turned out great. I like the Apple logo cutout, but I may try and see if iCarbons will do one without the cutout so it has the same look all over. I don't need to flash an Apple logo while using it. My car, shirts, and phone do that enough. :)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

This ^^

Can one of you guys (or both) post a picture of the Ghost Armor, specifically the corners? Does it cover them completely or leave them exposed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.