Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I did a quick search and didn't see anything immediately that addressed this topic. If it's a duplicate thread, my apologies. I've been dealing with AppleCare over the phone with unsatisfactory results, and I'm pretty sure the Apple Store closest to my home has no "Geniuses" to speak of. Plus, with my current work/school schedule it's tough to get free-time to even make a Doctor's appointment (I've been sick for 3 weeks), so I'm trying to avoid doing too much unnecessary running around. Plus, I've already been there once over this iPhone 5 debacle.

I don't remember which thread it was, but someone said after he went through a few replacements he called Apple and they shipped him a factory sealed iPhone 5 directly from China. While I'm not expecting such treatment, where would one go to speak to someone that could pull these types of strings? I'd settle for a white box version that had no issues, of course, but those too seem to be elusive creatures.

Does anyone have any e-mail addresses or phone numbers that may be helpful? Years ago I had an issue with Verizon and ended up getting an e-mail address for someone that worked in the COO's office, and that person had the ability to make things happen at the drop of a dime. I guess it sometimes just comes down to who you know. All feedback is appreciated. If you feel uncomfortable leaving info here, then feel free to PM me.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
What exactly is your problem with the phone?
I've heard of people emailing Tim Cook and getting a reply from someone in his office or whatever...not sure what his email is though.
Another thing you could try is talking to Apple support with their online chat. I tried to get a replacement SIM tray for my iPhone 5 over the phone with five people and each one said a $25 fee was mandatory. After that I decided to give their online support a shot and I got it for free with overnight shipping.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I've heard of people emailing Tim Cook and getting a reply from someone in his office or whatever...not sure what his email is though.
Another thing you could try is talking to Apple support with their online chat. I tried to get a replacement SIM tray for my iPhone 5 over the phone with five people and each one said a $25 fee was mandatory. After that I decided to give their online support a shot and I got it for free with overnight shipping.

Maybe I will give that a shot. Thanks. First phone (broken auto-focus/confirmed at Apple Store). Second phone (what sounded like a loose screw or metallic object rattling around near the earpiece. Could hear it pinging around in the earpiece when on the phone). Third and current phone (lots of purple in my photos, mainly in the corners when a light source is just out of frame. The opening for the camera lens has quite a bit of overlap, meaning there is a gap you can look into on the left side of the lens. Very shoddy manufacturing. I have no idea if that's the cause of the purple flare issue, though.) The replacement they sent me the other day, which I immediately returned, had brown upper antenna seams on both sides of the device, as well as gouges on the aluminum sides and a couple scratches on the back. Just issue after issue.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Maybe I will give that a shot. Thanks. First phone (broken auto-focus/confirmed at Apple Store). Second phone (what sounded like a loose screw or metallic object rattling around near the earpiece. Could hear it pinging around in the earpiece when on the phone). Third and current phone (lots of purple in my photos, mainly in the corners when a light source is just out of frame. The opening for the camera lens has quite a bit of overlap, meaning there is a gap you can look into on the left side of the lens. Very shoddy manufacturing. I have no idea if that's the cause of the purple flare issue, though.) The replacement they sent me the other day, which I immediately returned, had brown upper antenna seams on both sides of the device, as well as gouges on the aluminum sides and a couple scratches on the back. Just issue after issue.

The purple picture wasn't an issue specific to you. It's the light source causing it and it was well documented and acknowledged by apple I believe. I can't say anything about that overlap though without actually seeing it to know how bad it was. I can't imagine it being a measurable gap honestly. There's just not a whole lot of room for error on the camera lens placement.

Either way, it doesn't matter because you've already swapped. Good luck with your search. You could probably google Tim Cook's email. Just keep trying different service reps. That's about the best advice I could offer.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012

May i know how to contact the Apple Support online and not the sales department? Thanks

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
May i know how to contact the Apple Support online and not the sales department? Thanks

I went to this site https://expresslane.apple.com/GetCaseDetails.do and put in my case number and email and clicked the "Contact Apple about this case." The online support/live chat was just there, but I'm pretty sure it's closed right now.
You might be able to get to it by go to All Products/Services then selecting your device and issue. I'm not sure, though.
You can probably call Apple and get a case number then try tomorrow (they may not work New Year's Eve) or Wednesday to see if the live chat is there.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
The purple picture wasn't an issue specific to you. It's the light source causing it and it was well documented and acknowledged by apple I believe. I can't say anything about that overlap though without actually seeing it to know how bad it was. I can't imagine it being a measurable gap honestly. There's just not a whole lot of room for error on the camera lens placement.

Either way, it doesn't matter because you've already swapped. Good luck with your search. You could probably google Tim Cook's email. Just keep trying different service reps. That's about the best advice I could offer.

I appreciate it. The rep told me when I first called that some phones did it and that some didn't. I told him I wanted one that didn't. I didn't notice the issue on the one with the rattle, however. We'll see what happens. The gap isn't huge, but it's there, and it bothers me. The scratches I can live with. I have what looks like a small watermark on the back of the one I use now, but I don't care. I'm not that OCD. The case covers it anyways. The gap, on the other hand, does bug me.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I went to this site https://expresslane.apple.com/GetCaseDetails.do and put in my case number and email and clicked the "Contact Apple about this case." The online support/live chat was just there, but I'm pretty sure it's closed right now.
You might be able to get to it by go to All Products/Services then selecting your device and issue. I'm not sure, though.
You can probably call Apple and get a case number then try tomorrow (they may not work New Year's Eve) or Wednesday to see if the live chat is there.

Alright thanks alot where can i start the case? and was the Chat button on the top right of the screen at the link you showed me?

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Alright thanks alot where can i start the case? and was the Chat button on the top right of the screen at the link you showed me?

It was actually just one of the options when I pressed "Contact Apple about this case."
To start a case, just call and tell them your problem. If they can't resolve it, ask for a case number that you can refer to in the future or something like that.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Easy. Call applecare. Ask for senior advisor. Tell the senior advisor that you tried white box replacements, wasting time and gas to the store only to get more defects, and that you are considering leaving the iPhone and trying android.

Tell her/him you do not want another white box replacement and you will only settle for a brand new sealed box. That you are happy for the $600+ hold on the credit card.

That is EXACTLY what I did to get a sealed box iPhone 4. Not only that but you get a brand new warranty as well. I did this back in 2010 when those horrible yellow tinted screens were being released.

Now I just jail break and fix it myself. Still waiting for that new one though.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Easy. Call applecare. Ask for senior advisor. Tell the senior advisor that you tried white box replacements, wasting time and gas to the store only to get more defects, and that you are considering leaving the iPhone and trying android.

Tell her/him you do not want another white box replacement and you will only settle for a brand new sealed box. That you are happy for the $600+ hold on the credit card.

That is EXACTLY what I did to get a sealed box iPhone 4. Not only that but you get a brand new warranty as well. I did this back in 2010 when those horrible yellow tinted screens were being released.

Now I just jail break and fix it myself. Still waiting for that new one though.

I spoke to a Senior Advisor last week. She seemed annoyed when I told her that I've been going through white box after white box. As if I enjoy paying $29 each time I do an Express Replacement. Which I have twice at this point. She had me take pics of the brownish antenna seams and e-mail them to her on the spot. I only have my iPhone to use as a camera, so I used that to take the pics for her. Each time I sent one to her I would say "Okay, I just sent it", to which she would snap back "When I get it I'll let you know." She was just a real jerk. I was polite, so whatever problem she had has nothing to do with me. She is going to call me back on Wednesday to set up another visit to the Genius Bar, which according to her "is only a little over 10 miles away, so it shouldn't be a problem for me to go." Whatever.

When she calls me Wednesday I'm going to tell her I wasn't happy with the way she handled our first call last week and that I want to deal with another Senior Advisor. I love how Apple keeps telling me to talk to Verizon, as they can replace the phone more than once, even after the first 14 days, for cosmetic or mechanical damage. Uh, no they won't. Why should Verizon be on the hook for replacing the phone a third time when all the issues I'm having are clearly Apple manufacturing problems.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
As mentioned these are not unique problems. If your time is so tight perhaps this is not a good time to deal with it, meaning, I would personally skip the 5 and try again with the 5s.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
As mentioned these are not unique problems. If your time is so tight perhaps this is not a good time to deal with it, meaning, I would personally skip the 5 and try again with the 5s.

Skip the 5? No longer an option I don't believe. I'm past my 30 days due to going through white box after white box. And yes, my time is tight. Pharmacy School takes up a good portion of my day, and the remainder I spend at my job or studying. I've been to the Apple Store once. Apple should be doing more to help me out at this point.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Skip the 5? No longer an option I don't believe. I'm past my 30 days due to going through white box after white box.

Don't think so literal.

You have now a history. Is like going back to the car dealer for the same problem again and again. Think of the lemon law. I am not saying there is a specific law for what you are going through, but think of the people who are dealing with you, if I was them, I would be ecstatic that you have decided to take the money, I personally don't want to see you either regardless what the problem or whose fault is it.

So if you are rational, have all the receipts, dates, people you spoke to, account number etc. and talk to a manager and go look, I think this has taken too much of my and your time, time to call it quits. Service personnel love it when you have all the supporting documentation ready and they don't have to dig through anything, and the guy may tell you on the spot, OK sure, you will get a full refund. U may nicely ask for an additional gift card for your trouble if you feel like it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Don't think so literal.

You have now a history. Is like going back to the car dealer for the same problem again and again. Think of the lemon law. I am not saying there is a specific law for what you are going through, but think of the people who are dealing with you, if I was them, I would be ecstatic that you have decided to take the money, I personally don't want to see you either regardless what the problem or whose fault is it.

So if you are rational, have all the receipts, dates, people you spoke to, account number etc. and talk to a manager and go look, I think this has taken too much of my and your time, time to call it quits. Service personnel love it when you have all the supporting documentation ready and they don't have to dig through anything, and the guy may tell you on the spot, OK sure, you will get a full refund. U may nicely ask for an additional gift card for your trouble if you feel like it.

Well said, sir. It's actually funny you mention the "It's already taken too much our both our time" bit. I said that very same thing to the rep who sent me my last white-box replacement. He concurred, but because he was willing to send me another phone he assured me would have no issues, I let him do that. I really do like the phone, but finding one without some type of problem shouldn't be this hard. I like your thought process, however. I'm going to sit like a tiger in the brush and wait for that Senior Advisor to call me on Wednesday. And when she does, I'm gonna pounce. I'll win this thing. It's just a pain in the rear end. It isn't Apple's fault I'm so busy with various other obligations, but it is what it is. It's not like I haven't been willing to work with them up until this point.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Well said, sir. It's actually funny you mention the "It's already taken too much our both our time" bit. I said that very same thing to the rep who sent me my last white-box replacement. He concurred, but because he was willing to send me another phone he assured me would have no issues, I let him do that. I really do like the phone, but finding one without some type of problem shouldn't be this hard. I like your thought process, however. I'm going to sit like a tiger in the brush and wait for that Senior Advisor to call me on Wednesday. And when she does, I'm gonna pounce. I'll win this thing. It's just a pain in the rear end. It isn't Apple's fault I'm so busy with various other obligations, but it is what it is. It's not like I haven't been willing to work with them up until this point.

Were you able to get a sealed replacement?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Were you able to get a sealed replacement?

I e-mailed Tim Cook's office last night and got a call to both my cell and home phone, as well as an e-mail from someone in his office asking me to call them when I get a chance. I missed the call to my cell and when I called back they must have been on another call. So I e-mailed her back and she said she will definitely touch base with me Monday morning so we can figure out a solution. I'm making progress! Thanks for the tips, fellas. I will keep you all informed.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I e-mailed Tim Cook's office last night and got a call to both my cell and home phone, as well as an e-mail from someone in his office asking me to call them when I get a chance. I missed the call to my cell and when I called back they must have been on another call. So I e-mailed her back and she said she will definitely touch base with me Monday morning so we can figure out a solution. I'm making progress! Thanks for the tips, fellas. I will keep you all informed.

Nice! Sounds like you're on your way to a new device may I have the email address? And did you tell them your phone numbers?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Maybe you should just sell the phone, and buy a different brand? It's quite clear that the iPhone isn't for you.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Your post is why I miss the Vote Down button. :rolleyes:

Well I'm sorry if you feel like that - but it's the truth. If you're unhappy with so many of them, chances are you're going to be unhappy with the nth+1 one, too. There comes a time in life where you need to cut your losses, realise it's not for you, and move on.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Well I'm sorry if you feel like that - but it's the truth. If you're unhappy with so many of them, chances are you're going to be unhappy with the nth+1 one, too. There comes a time in life where you need to cut your losses, realise it's not for you, and move on.

What if the iPhone is definitely for the OP?

They could love EVERYTHING about the iPhone, except the defects which shouldn't be there anyway. This is not the OP's fault.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
What if the iPhone is definitely for the OP?

They could love EVERYTHING about the iPhone, except the defects which shouldn't be there anyway. This is not the OP's fault.

Thank you, Viper. Hopefully I can resolve this Monday. I do really enjoy the device, aside from the obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.