Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:58 PM   #51
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoses View Post
If you only want one app, you can generally subscribe to any of the majors for $19.99 a month. Once you get past two, however, it's not worth the ala carte method.
I looked at Creative Cloud when I needed to get my own copies of Photoshop and Illustrator for web design. I didn't need any of their other apps. I ended up buying the boxed CS6, Creative Cloud's "all or one app" approach is not flexible enough.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #52
qveda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoses View Post
If you only want one app, you can generally subscribe to any of the majors for $19.99 a month. Once you get past two, however, it's not worth the ala carte method.
thanks, just starting to figure out these options.
qveda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:59 PM   #53
blackmoses
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I looked at Creative Cloud when I needed to get my own copies of Photoshop and Illustrator for web design. I didn't need any of their other apps. I ended up buying the boxed CS6, Creative Cloud's "all or one app" approach is not flexible enough.
My thing with buying boxed vs. "rented" is that with Adobe's commitment to an accelerated release schedule (a new version ever April/May), you'll end up either having to skip every other version or spend far more money to "keep up" with the latest & greatest if it's necessary for your workflow (i.e. if people send you files in the new CS version you don't have yet, which has been a thorn in my side since May).

This is versus spending $39.98 a month on the Creative Cloud plan for Illustrator and Photoshop (and for ten bucks more - I sound like a salesman, apologies) you can get access to InDesign and Acrobat (and more) as/if you need them.

Last edited by blackmoses; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: more post!
blackmoses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:14 PM   #54
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoses View Post
My thing with buying boxed vs. "rented" is that with Adobe's commitment to an accelerated release schedule (a new version ever April/May), you'll end up either having to skip every other version or spend far more money to "keep up" with the latest & greatest if it's necessary for your workflow (i.e. if people send you files in the new CS version you don't have yet, which has been a thorn in my side since May).

This is versus spending $39.98 a month on the Creative Cloud plan for Illustrator and Photoshop (and for ten bucks more - I sound like a salesman, apologies) you can get access to InDesign and Acrobat (and more) as/if you need them.
I guess if you plan on buying every upgrade it might make the Cloud more compelling. I was using CS3 before having to buy my own copy when I changed from employed to self employed. I would have been fine continuing to use CS3. The last useful features added to Photoshop for me were the ability to organise layers into folders and being able to set text as more than one colour.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:05 PM   #55
blackmoses
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I guess if you plan on buying every upgrade it might make the Cloud more compelling. I was using CS3 before having to buy my own copy when I changed from employed to self employed. I would have been fine continuing to use CS3. The last useful features added to Photoshop for me were the ability to organise layers into folders and being able to set text as more than one colour.
64-bit Photoshop (starting with CS5 on the Mac, a version earlier for PC) was sorely needed. Illustrator CS6 is 64-bit, and that alone would make it worth it for me, especially after spending the last two weeks watching pinwheels as I prep poster print designs.
blackmoses is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adobe Announces New Creative Cloud Apps, Abandons Creative Suite MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 856 Mar 13, 2014 06:02 PM
Adobe Creative Cloud Adds 3D Printing in Photoshop, Enhancements for Other Apps MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 45 Jan 24, 2014 09:15 PM
Adobe Creative Suite vs Creative Cloud firedept Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 May 31, 2013 09:03 AM
Adobe Creative Cloud Compatibility? Grockel Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jan 26, 2013 03:01 PM
Adobe Creative Cloud Forkjulle Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Aug 31, 2012 03:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC