Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #26
PlayfullyEvil
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
It might one day, who knows?
More power to you, girl! Just remember to share the wealth (with those that deserve it, that is). . But I digress...

Back on point, I'm currently running a 15" MBP (mid-2010) and it's still running awesome! I replaced the HDD with an SSD and replaced the ODD with a WD 750 GB Caviar Black. I love the 1680x1050 screen (obviously I opted for the higher res screen then the base model's). I'm holding out for the Haswell and maybe opt for the 13" rMBP instead; but more than likely stay with a 15" screen. I'll figure it out when the Haswell refresh comes out.

But I completely agree with your namesake: ever since I've gone Mac (since Tiger on an aluminum Powerbook G4) I haven't gone back (to Windblow$).
__________________
Macmini4,1 | MacBookPro6,2 | MacBook2,1 | PowerBook6,5 | PowerBook6,4
iPad3,3 | iPad3,1 | iPhone4,1 | iPhone2,1 | iPod 3,1

Last edited by PlayfullyEvil; Dec 31, 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Grammatical & typographic corrections.
PlayfullyEvil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
runebinder
macrumors 6502a
 
runebinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
I'm selling my MBP and an ultrabook I won last month and will be getting a retina MBP. I'm not going to wait as doubt the next refresh will be at least till June, and I've read plenty of posts from people really happy with theirs. So I'm not put off by the reports of IR etc. If that happens, well thats what the warranty is for.

The sale of the 2 computers should cover the base 15" model. The only buying indecision I'm having is whether to get:

1. The base and a LaCie Rugged TB/USB 3.0 256GB SSD, which would cost 250

2. The 512GB SSD model to have the convenience of internal storage, would cost 470 more than the base (I get a 10% discount).

All though it's an external the LaCie is pretty small and bus powered so portable, plus the read speeds are faster than on the SATA II SSD I have in my current MBP. Also my desktop has dual Thunderbolt ports as well so would be useful for both computers.

Happy New Year folks
__________________
15" 2012 Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.3GHz/8GB/256GB Yosemite

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 8
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamyers View Post
I keep reading posts about the screens in the 15" retina. Would you buy a 15" retina right now?
I wouldn't buy one now, but that has nothing to do with the screen and everything to do with the fact that we're now at the end of month six out of eight to ten months of the typical MacBook Pro refresh cycle. With new models so soon, it makes sense to buy sooner after they are released rather than later. Optimally, month three or four is the perfect time to buy, I think.

The only exception to that rule would be if you were giving second thought to the non-retina models as those are likely to disappear at this next refresh. But if you're set on retina, I'd wait.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade 17" MBP or Buy new 15" Retina Fully Loaded? alingerfelt MacBook Pro 9 Oct 28, 2013 12:09 PM
Should I buy the Macbook pro 15" w/Retina display or keep the 27" iMac? gentleman00 Buying Tips and Advice 0 Nov 10, 2012 06:04 PM
15" Retina or 13" + external display (buy 13" retina later) JeroenDebruyne Buying Tips and Advice 6 Sep 29, 2012 01:31 AM
15" Retina or 13" + external display (buy 13" retina later) JeroenDebruyne MacBook Pro 0 Sep 27, 2012 09:03 AM
Deciding on which MBP to buy, 13" or 15" retina jg216 MacBook Pro 10 Jun 14, 2012 12:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC