Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #26
PlayfullyEvil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
It might one day, who knows?
More power to you, girl! Just remember to share the wealth (with those that deserve it, that is). . But I digress...

Back on point, I'm currently running a 15" MBP (mid-2010) and it's still running awesome! I replaced the HDD with an SSD and replaced the ODD with a WD 750 GB Caviar Black. I love the 1680x1050 screen (obviously I opted for the higher res screen then the base model's). I'm holding out for the Haswell and maybe opt for the 13" rMBP instead; but more than likely stay with a 15" screen. I'll figure it out when the Haswell refresh comes out.

But I completely agree with your namesake: ever since I've gone Mac (since Tiger on an aluminum Powerbook G4) I haven't gone back (to Windblow$).

Last edited by PlayfullyEvil; Dec 31, 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Grammatical & typographic corrections.
PlayfullyEvil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

I'm selling my MBP and an ultrabook I won last month and will be getting a retina MBP. I'm not going to wait as doubt the next refresh will be at least till June, and I've read plenty of posts from people really happy with theirs. So I'm not put off by the reports of IR etc. If that happens, well thats what the warranty is for.

The sale of the 2 computers should cover the base 15" model. The only buying indecision I'm having is whether to get:

1. The base and a LaCie Rugged TB/USB 3.0 256GB SSD, which would cost 250

2. The 512GB SSD model to have the convenience of internal storage, would cost 470 more than the base (I get a 10% discount).

All though it's an external the LaCie is pretty small and bus powered so portable, plus the read speeds are faster than on the SATA II SSD I have in my current MBP. Also my desktop has dual Thunderbolt ports as well so would be useful for both computers.

Happy New Year folks

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 7.0.2
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamyers View Post
I keep reading posts about the screens in the 15" retina. Would you buy a 15" retina right now?
I wouldn't buy one now, but that has nothing to do with the screen and everything to do with the fact that we're now at the end of month six out of eight to ten months of the typical MacBook Pro refresh cycle. With new models so soon, it makes sense to buy sooner after they are released rather than later. Optimally, month three or four is the perfect time to buy, I think.

The only exception to that rule would be if you were giving second thought to the non-retina models as those are likely to disappear at this next refresh. But if you're set on retina, I'd wait.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice