Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GibbyNanchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I took these from Instagram. I know Instagram has filters but it is clear that the quality is a bit higher than what you'd normally take using the stock camera. Is he using an outside app? The user does have an iPhone 5

24e3f638464411e28b9422000a1f8af5_7.jpg

815192fc52d511e2984822000a1f9707_7.jpg

ebcfbcba537211e292b622000a1fb73b_7.jpg

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I don't see anything about those pictures that's so special technically. Just aim your iPhone 5 camera, touch the screen to choose the focusing and metering area, then click gently. Pay attention to the light. And yes, the photos you posted appeared to be post processed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 201

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Haven't u heard? It's always the skill of the photographer, not the equipment. :)

The top pix is obviously a sepia filter.

The next 2 pix, the sky is washed out, what's that u admire about them?

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
I took these from Instagram. I know Instagram has filters but it is clear that the quality is a bit higher than what you'd normally take using the stock camera. Is he using an outside app? The user does have an iPhone 5

lol. thats baptiste... these pics are easily replicable just go to the app store and look at the top apps in the photo category

i think what you are admiring is the fact that the guy is a model and of course his pics look good.

whats his instagram name?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
As I said, technically those pictures are nothing to speak of. The iPhone 5 in the hand of someone with a bit of skills can take much better photos than those.

I won't debate the artistic aspect of those, because they are in the eyes of the beholder. Personally, I find them boring.

GibbyNanchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Even if you removed him from the pic, the lighting and colors still pop more than a typical photo I can take on my phone. :(

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Even if you removed him from the pic, the lighting and colors still pop more than a typical photo I can take on my phone. :(

That is from a filter/photo editing software.

Pay attention to lighting, use autofocus, then just find a good filter app in the app store to saturate the colors.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Really nice photos are "engineered." Meaning for example the photograher take his pix early in the morning or at dusk when the sun is not so strong.

Really people, u always look for an equipment miracle.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Just get hipstamatic or camerapro or some other photo app and start shooting. Those apps are pretty good at what they do. Also, learn something about good light and composure conventions.

For example, the "camera!" app does a pretty good job with the right input. Below are two versions of the exact same shot, before and after processing. This was a quick grab, all I did was pay attention to the composure using the basic "rule of thirds". The rest is a filter in the "camera!" App.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 144

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Really nice photos are "engineered." Meaning for example the photograher take his pix early in the morning or at dusk when the sun is not so strong.

Really people, u always look for an equipment miracle.

lol

Attachments

• whattheduck.jpg
    whattheduck.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 228

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
FYI

One could theoretically take a high-quality photo with an expensive camera, edit it in Photoshop on their computer if they choose, email it to themselves, open and copy it to the iPhone camera roll and select it from the Instagram App options. Not all Instagram photos posted were/are taken with the mobile phone the app resides on.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Simple…Become good looking and have a white sandy beach with crystal blue water behind you. wallah…great pics every single time!!

I'm really sorry for being a duck about it, but you probably mean "voilà" (the French word), wallah means "by god" in Arabic...

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
Just get hipstamatic or camerapro or some other photo app and start shooting. Those apps are pretty good at what they do. Also, learn something about good light and composure conventions.

For example, the "camera!" app does a pretty good job with the right input. Below are two versions of the exact same shot, before and after processing. This was a quick grab, all I did was pay attention to the composure using the basic "rule of thirds". The rest is a filter in the "camera!" App.

I don't see "Camera!" in the App Store, is it only for Macs?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't see "Camera!" in the App Store, is it only for Macs?

It's an iPhone app. Those shots were done 100% on the iphone5.

If you want a good PC based photo editing app, Adobe Lightroom is as good as they come (short of throwing in the money and time to learn to use Photoshop effectively). It's all sliders and cropping and stuff, plus it serves as a photo portfolio organizer. Highly recommended.

As far as the iPhone app, I guess it's called "Camera Awesome". It will show up on your phone as "Camera!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.