Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wescravn

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
East Orange
Wrong!!!!

Sorry but your wrong. They are more pro for several reasons.

1) Java is a bag of hurt. Any developer will tell you that. It claims to be cross-platform, but really sucks at that task. Java apps are NOWHERE near Objective-C apps which are low level. It's trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended)

2) The performance of java vs Objective C isn't anywhere near close. Objective-C compiles down to low-level. Java is compiled to a class file, and doesn't have the low-level features of C++ or Objective-C

3) The apps look horrible. Have you compared ios vs java apps. There is no comparison. IOS wins. It has support for Pro-Level graphics, while the JAVA API doesn't support native 3D and higher level graphics functions

4) Objective-C is way faster than java, and the performance is much faster. Why because Objective-C is compiled down to low-level machine code, which java is compiled to a class file, and then uses a java VM to execute the code.

SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING :D

They would be no more crappy than the iOS ones...dont start thinking for 1 second that iOS apps are any more "pro" than Android apps :rolleyes:

----------

Probably for the same reason they would want to run iOS apps on the desktop.

Silly question really...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

1) Java is a bag of hurt. Any developer will tell you that. It claims to be cross-platform, but really sucks at that task. Java apps are NOWHERE near Objective-C apps which are low level. It's trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended)

2) The performance of java vs Objective C isn't anywhere near close. Objective-C compiles down to low-level. Java is compiled to a class file, and doesn't have the low-level features of C++ or Objective-C

3) The apps look horrible. Have you compared ios vs java apps. There is no comparison. IOS wins. It has support for Pro-Level graphics, while the JAVA API doesn't support native 3D and higher level graphics functions

4) Objective-C is way faster than java, and the performance is much faster. Why because Objective-C is compiled down to low-level machine code, which java is compiled to a class file, and then uses a java VM to execute the code.

Maybe you should. Here are a few starting points :

Cross platform compatibility for the latest J2SE 7 JRE release.

Java Performance and Low-level compilation myth debunked - Hotspot shipped in Java 1.3

Other source for Java performance

High level 3D graphics API for Java

If you don't know about Java, please don't troll about Java. Now, since Android has nothing to do with Java aside from the language, what was the point of your post ? Android is built using Dalvik as a virtual machine using the Android runtime and the Apache Foundation's Harmony project for baseline J2SE compatible classes, not Oracle's Java HotSpot compiler and JRE.

Android implements OpenGL ES 2.0 for graphics work and Dalvik supports hardware acceleration of these graphics sub-routines.

Now you've got quite a bit of reading to do, I suggest you get to it. Your further responses in this thread will tell us if you were just serious but uneducated or just looking to start an argument with baseless comments.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Why the hell would anyone want to run Android apps on their desktop?

Yep, just imagine what an app designed for a 4" screen would look like on a 24 or 27" iMac. Makes me shudder to think about it when I consider what an iPhone only optimized app looks like on an iPad.:(

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Oh dear :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother trying to explain where you went wrong there. You may as well have pasted a load of Lorem Ipsum into your post.

Ivangf2

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
I can´t download anything in bluestacks it says "no app found, please check network connectivity" and I want to download whatsapp

Have anyone downloaded it already?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Tried this out. For some reason I could not find any app in the Android market, whose icon was the old Android market... I tried downloading the apps from other stores. They work ok I guess but I wouldnt call it good yet. Why doesnt anyone try to make iOS apps available for mac OS? iOS apps are so much better. :(

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why doesnt anyone try to make iOS apps available for mac OS? iOS apps are so much better. :(

Because aside from the "Whatsapp" case or specific games, there is very little use in iOS apps running on Mac OS (just like there's very little use in Android apps).

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Because aside from the "Whatsapp" case or specific games, there is very little use in iOS apps running on Mac OS (just like there's very little use in Android apps).

And yet there is so much more use in Android apps running on Mac OS? I see.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Uh ? I said the exact opposite in my post. I said there is very little use for Android apps as well. Why are you responding with this ? :confused:

oopz. Missed that lol

I used to think like you. But I've realized that many apps that I love on my iphone don't have an equivalent laptop version, such as flipboard, instagram, and other GPS-based apps.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
oopz. Missed that lol

I used to think like you. But I've realized that many apps that I love on my iphone don't have an equivalent laptop version, such as flipboard, instagram, and other GPS-based apps.

Instagram ? Uh ? Your laptop or desktop isn't exactly a camera... And plenty of navigation apps on a laptop... not that it's actually useful...

A lot of the apps themselves depend on the form factor as much as the platform. There are no "equivalents" because frankly no one takes pictures with a desktop computer/laptop.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Instagram ? Uh ? Your laptop or desktop isn't exactly a camera... And plenty of navigation apps on a laptop... not that it's actually useful...

A lot of the apps themselves depend on the form factor as much as the platform. There are no "equivalents" because frankly no one takes pictures with a desktop computer/laptop.

Taking picture is just ONE of MANY things you can do on instgram. You can also upload and edit photos from your gallery or interact with people you follow. That's why it's called a social networking site.

You need to get a grip.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Taking picture is just ONE of MANY things you can do on instgram. You can also upload and edit photos from your gallery or interact with people you follow. That's why it's called a social networking site.

Plenty of ways to do that on a PC/Mac desktop/laptop already, don't need the Instagram app to do that. And I'll had, the applications that exist for it are much more feature complete and easy to use.

Hence, no need for the mobile version of the Instagram app. That's what I mean.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I can´t download anything in bluestacks it says "no app found, please check network connectivity" and I want to download whatsapp

Have anyone downloaded it already?

Same here, it's been going on for weeks now.

:eek: Niiiiice!!

Btw, i'm getting an error (check network connectivity) when i try to install apps with bluestack, anyone has this issue?

Yes. It has been the case since December.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How well does the Bluestacks operates?
I remember the first days of release there were several problems.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Put it this way. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for Android (or iOS) apps to run on OS X (an x86 system) without an emulator to convert the arm compiled app.

Hardly impossible since Android apps don't usually contain any native code.
Ones that do include i386 versions since there are Intel based Android phones.

monolithic

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
I installed it. The app is stuck at Loading screen and been like that for over an hour. Does it work at all?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hardly impossible since Android apps don't usually contain any native code.
Ones that do include i386 versions since there are Intel based Android phones.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote me a year on. In any case whilst you can run android, theoretically on any architecture - the app still has to be in android, or you'd have to write an instruction set for it to work on another OS. As it stands it has not been done on Windows or OS X - so even a year on from my post, its still not possible, hence why people still use emulators.

Also if you open up some of the APK's from the Play store, a lot of them are actually tied down to ARM based libraries, despite the idea being that they aren't supposed to be.

grannygear

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Bluestacks not working for me

I am stuck in a loop. It keeps telling me one more step to go to set up 1-click sync, then it asks for my google email, I put it in with the password, and then it looks lie it is going to work, and then it just goes back to "one more step to go to set up 1-click sync." I have spent hours on this, the first one I downloaded after all the time it took, said it only worked with OS X 10.7. I found another one and downloaded that, and it seemed to work fine until I got stuck in this loop. Help?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.