Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
macnchiefs
macrumors member

Success in Apple Appeal Process?

I woke up this morning and checked my email and through the night I had received 3 emails from Apple detailing purchases over the past 3 days on our iPad. Because we had the incorrect setting picked(no need to enter password within 15 minutes) my 3 yr old son was able to rack up over $300 of in-app purchases...

The kind of purchases he made are not like the $.99 ones. He somehow found in-app "deluxe packs" that cost upwards of $149.99. They're really the kind of in-app purchases where you wonder why the game developer has put in packs that cost that much into games targeted at 3 yr olds? I've convinced myself that they're banking on the kind of situation that just happened to us to make some quick money. But that's besides the point here.

I've done some research and found that Apple's sales policy is "all sales are final" but they do have an appeal process for I'm guessing, situations like mine.

I've submitted an online ticket(telephone support is closed because of the holiday) to try and get the charges removed. So who has had success in appealing purchases like this? Is Apple very understanding in these kind of situations?

Thanks for your help and I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
macnchiefs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:20 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

That's exactly why people should just use iTunes cards and delete their credit card info in the app store. Gives you limited liability.

Only thing you can do is contact Apple ASAP and hope they can reverse the charges.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnchiefs View Post
I woke up this morning and checked my email and through the night I had received 3 emails from Apple detailing purchases over the past 3 days on our iPad. Because we had the incorrect setting picked(no need to enter password within 15 minutes) my 3 yr old son was able to rack up over $300 of in-app purchases...

The kind of purchases he made are not like the $.99 ones. He somehow found in-app "deluxe packs" that cost upwards of $149.99. They're really the kind of in-app purchases where you wonder why the game developer has put in packs that cost that much into games targeted at 3 yr olds? I've convinced myself that they're banking on the kind of situation that just happened to us to make some quick money. But that's besides the point here.

I've done some research and found that Apple's sales policy is "all sales are final" but they do have an appeal process for I'm guessing, situations like mine.

I've submitted an online ticket(telephone support is closed because of the holiday) to try and get the charges removed. So who has had success in appealing purchases like this? Is Apple very understanding in these kind of situations?

Thanks for your help and I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
They will charge it back to your credit card, no questions asked. You should in the meantime put some parental controls and disable in-app purchases on the iPad.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:41 AM   #4
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

My kids are old enough to know better, but no matter what, I ALWAYS turn off in-app purchases as the first thing I do when I have a clean install. Just this holiday I picked up a new iPad Mini and I went in and turned off in-app purchases. I have found some deceptive apps that tried to make in-app purchases every easy to "accidentally" hit. I know that Apple has gotten better with signing in and such, but so rarely have I actually wanted legitimately buy something, I keep it off until I do.

While I feel your pain, and yeah, some times these apps are not clear about how much it is going to cost. But as a parent you do have to take some of this responsibility yourself. Why don't you have it setup right, why weren't you watching your 3 year old, etc. Yes, it does suck sometimes, and we all make mistakes but is it really their fault? Sure they have some fault as well, and I can see looking for a refund. But at the same time, think about your part in this and if you should chalk it up as an expensive lesson.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
macnchiefs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
But as a parent you do have to take some of this responsibility yourself. Why don't you have it setup right, why weren't you watching your 3 year old, etc. Yes, it does suck sometimes, and we all make mistakes but is it really their fault? Sure they have some fault as well, and I can see looking for a refund. But at the same time, think about your part in this and if you should chalk it up as an expensive lesson.
If I would have blamed it on my 3 yr old I would actually take your post into consideration but I essentially blamed it on us(the parents) in my original post by stating we didn't have the correct settings checked. FYI if you have a 3 yr old - it's absolutely impossible to be watching them at all times in all things nor do I want to be watching them at all times. Just a fact of life.

Thanks to everyone else for your advice. I've gone in and already changed all the settings. I'm hoping Apple can grant mercy on this one. If not then I'll make dang sure that my 3 yr old plays the "Christmas Scary Spider Racing Plus, Deluxe Pack" that we paid $149 for the rest of his life. He'll master that thing as far as I'm concerned. And from playing the "Great Pirates Battleheart, Deluxe" pack that cost another $149, he better be the best damn pirate in the world.
macnchiefs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

They'll give it back once. If it happens again, they wont. Not sure how you contacted them, but the fastest way is through http://expresslane.apple.com

It's always important, especially with kids, to make sure you've locked it down and put the controls on.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
macnchiefs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
They'll give it back once. If it happens again, they wont. Not sure how you contacted them, but the fastest way is through http://expresslane.apple.com

It's always important, especially with kids, to make sure you've locked it down and put the controls on.
Thanks bma. That was how I contacted them. Looks like they get back to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
macnchiefs
macrumors member

Already got an email back from Apple - they're refunding the total amount.
Yay!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:49 PM   #9
wharzhee
Banned

Good to hear that (:
wharzhee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:53 AM   #10
anikaa
macrumors newbie

HIIIIIIII
IT GOOD APPLICATION
THIS IS BEST SITE.....
classifieds website
anikaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Glad to hear that they took care of you!
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps