Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:32 AM   #101
wescravn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East Orange
Send a message via AIM to wescravn
Wrong!!!!

Sorry but your wrong. They are more pro for several reasons.

1) Java is a bag of hurt. Any developer will tell you that. It claims to be cross-platform, but really sucks at that task. Java apps are NOWHERE near Objective-C apps which are low level. It's trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended)

2) The performance of java vs Objective C isn't anywhere near close. Objective-C compiles down to low-level. Java is compiled to a class file, and doesn't have the low-level features of C++ or Objective-C

3) The apps look horrible. Have you compared ios vs java apps. There is no comparison. IOS wins. It has support for Pro-Level graphics, while the JAVA API doesn't support native 3D and higher level graphics functions

4) Objective-C is way faster than java, and the performance is much faster. Why because Objective-C is compiled down to low-level machine code, which java is compiled to a class file, and then uses a java VM to execute the code.

SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
They would be no more crappy than the iOS ones...dont start thinking for 1 second that iOS apps are any more "pro" than Android apps

----------



Probably for the same reason they would want to run iOS apps on the desktop.

Silly question really...
wescravn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:56 AM   #102
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
Sorry but your wrong. They are more pro for several reasons.

1) Java is a bag of hurt. Any developer will tell you that. It claims to be cross-platform, but really sucks at that task. Java apps are NOWHERE near Objective-C apps which are low level. It's trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended)

2) The performance of java vs Objective C isn't anywhere near close. Objective-C compiles down to low-level. Java is compiled to a class file, and doesn't have the low-level features of C++ or Objective-C

3) The apps look horrible. Have you compared ios vs java apps. There is no comparison. IOS wins. It has support for Pro-Level graphics, while the JAVA API doesn't support native 3D and higher level graphics functions

4) Objective-C is way faster than java, and the performance is much faster. Why because Objective-C is compiled down to low-level machine code, which java is compiled to a class file, and then uses a java VM to execute the code.

SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING
Maybe you should. Here are a few starting points :

Cross platform compatibility for the latest J2SE 7 JRE release.

Java Performance and Low-level compilation myth debunked - Hotspot shipped in Java 1.3

Other source for Java performance

High level 3D graphics API for Java

If you don't know about Java, please don't troll about Java. Now, since Android has nothing to do with Java aside from the language, what was the point of your post ? Android is built using Dalvik as a virtual machine using the Android runtime and the Apache Foundation's Harmony project for baseline J2SE compatible classes, not Oracle's Java HotSpot compiler and JRE.

Android implements OpenGL ES 2.0 for graphics work and Dalvik supports hardware acceleration of these graphics sub-routines.

Now you've got quite a bit of reading to do, I suggest you get to it. Your further responses in this thread will tell us if you were just serious but uneducated or just looking to start an argument with baseless comments.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:32 AM   #103
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premiā de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING
Since the only thing about Java on Android is the syntax, the one that has to do research is not him, it is you.
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:30 AM   #104
lkrupp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Why the hell would anyone want to run Android apps on their desktop?
Yep, just imagine what an app designed for a 4" screen would look like on a 24 or 27" iMac. Makes me shudder to think about it when I consider what an iPhone only optimized app looks like on an iPad.
lkrupp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #105
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premiā de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Yep, just imagine what an app designed for a 4" screen would look like on a 24 or 27" iMac. Makes me shudder to think about it when I consider what an iPhone only optimized app looks like on an iPad.
Do you always maximize every application?
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #106
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
Sorry but your wrong. They are more pro for several reasons.

1) Java is a bag of hurt. Any developer will tell you that. It claims to be cross-platform, but really sucks at that task. Java apps are NOWHERE near Objective-C apps which are low level. It's trying to compare apples to oranges (no pun intended)

2) The performance of java vs Objective C isn't anywhere near close. Objective-C compiles down to low-level. Java is compiled to a class file, and doesn't have the low-level features of C++ or Objective-C

3) The apps look horrible. Have you compared ios vs java apps. There is no comparison. IOS wins. It has support for Pro-Level graphics, while the JAVA API doesn't support native 3D and higher level graphics functions

4) Objective-C is way faster than java, and the performance is much faster. Why because Objective-C is compiled down to low-level machine code, which java is compiled to a class file, and then uses a java VM to execute the code.

SO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING
Oh dear

I'm not even going to bother trying to explain where you went wrong there. You may as well have pasted a load of Lorem Ipsum into your post.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:14 PM   #107
Ivangf2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I canīt download anything in bluestacks it says "no app found, please check network connectivity" and I want to download whatsapp

Have anyone downloaded it already?
__________________
MBA 13'' 2010, 1.86 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 128 GB HD; iPhone 4, 16 GB; iPad 2 16 GB
Ivangf2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:33 PM   #108
louis.b
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney
Tried this out. For some reason I could not find any app in the Android market, whose icon was the old Android market... I tried downloading the apps from other stores. They work ok I guess but I wouldnt call it good yet. Why doesnt anyone try to make iOS apps available for mac OS? iOS apps are so much better.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:50 PM   #109
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
Why doesnt anyone try to make iOS apps available for mac OS? iOS apps are so much better.
Because aside from the "Whatsapp" case or specific games, there is very little use in iOS apps running on Mac OS (just like there's very little use in Android apps).
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:57 PM   #110
louis.b
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Because aside from the "Whatsapp" case or specific games, there is very little use in iOS apps running on Mac OS (just like there's very little use in Android apps).
And yet there is so much more use in Android apps running on Mac OS? I see.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #111
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
And yet there is so much more use in Android apps running on Mac OS? I see.
Uh ? I said the exact opposite in my post. I said there is very little use for Android apps as well. Why are you responding with this ?
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:19 PM   #112
louis.b
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Uh ? I said the exact opposite in my post. I said there is very little use for Android apps as well. Why are you responding with this ?
oopz. Missed that lol

I used to think like you. But I've realized that many apps that I love on my iphone don't have an equivalent laptop version, such as flipboard, instagram, and other GPS-based apps.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:31 PM   #113
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
oopz. Missed that lol

I used to think like you. But I've realized that many apps that I love on my iphone don't have an equivalent laptop version, such as flipboard, instagram, and other GPS-based apps.
Instagram ? Uh ? Your laptop or desktop isn't exactly a camera... And plenty of navigation apps on a laptop... not that it's actually useful...

A lot of the apps themselves depend on the form factor as much as the platform. There are no "equivalents" because frankly no one takes pictures with a desktop computer/laptop.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:54 AM   #114
louis.b
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Instagram ? Uh ? Your laptop or desktop isn't exactly a camera... And plenty of navigation apps on a laptop... not that it's actually useful...

A lot of the apps themselves depend on the form factor as much as the platform. There are no "equivalents" because frankly no one takes pictures with a desktop computer/laptop.
Taking picture is just ONE of MANY things you can do on instgram. You can also upload and edit photos from your gallery or interact with people you follow. That's why it's called a social networking site.

You need to get a grip.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:42 AM   #115
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
Taking picture is just ONE of MANY things you can do on instgram. You can also upload and edit photos from your gallery or interact with people you follow. That's why it's called a social networking site.
Plenty of ways to do that on a PC/Mac desktop/laptop already, don't need the Instagram app to do that. And I'll had, the applications that exist for it are much more feature complete and easy to use.

Hence, no need for the mobile version of the Instagram app. That's what I mean.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #116
DrNoellyG
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivangf2 View Post
I canīt download anything in bluestacks it says "no app found, please check network connectivity" and I want to download whatsapp

Have anyone downloaded it already?
Same here, it's been going on for weeks now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenic View Post
Niiiiice!!

Btw, i'm getting an error (check network connectivity) when i try to install apps with bluestack, anyone has this issue?

Yes. It has been the case since December.
DrNoellyG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:21 AM   #117
cool11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
How well does the Bluestacks operates?
I remember the first days of release there were several problems.
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:23 AM   #118
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool11 View Post
How well does the Bluestacks operates?
I remember the first days of release there were several problems.
It works fine. They don't pre-install apps anymore. The only thing is that it lacks key mapping. So games are only half playable.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:28 AM   #119
cool11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It works fine. They don't pre-install apps anymore. The only thing is that it lacks key mapping. So games are only half playable.
Can I install apps, either from .apk or from play store?
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:34 AM   #120
Rossatron
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: in a ziplock bag inside a car's trunk
oh wow, an android emulator for mac. my excite-o-meter is going nuts
__________________
Licensed Analyst, at your service.
cmd+backspace all the things!!!111
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:51 AM   #121
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool11 View Post
Can I install apps, either from .apk or from play store?
Yep. The Play Store is included now too. Can install the Humble Bundle app to download your stuff too.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 08:59 AM   #122
unlinked
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Put it this way. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for Android (or iOS) apps to run on OS X (an x86 system) without an emulator to convert the arm compiled app.
Hardly impossible since Android apps don't usually contain any native code.
Ones that do include i386 versions since there are Intel based Android phones.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 09:22 AM   #123
monolithic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I installed it. The app is stuck at Loading screen and been like that for over an hour. Does it work at all?
monolithic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 02:03 PM   #124
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Hardly impossible since Android apps don't usually contain any native code.
Ones that do include i386 versions since there are Intel based Android phones.
Not sure why you felt the need to quote me a year on. In any case whilst you can run android, theoretically on any architecture - the app still has to be in android, or you'd have to write an instruction set for it to work on another OS. As it stands it has not been done on Windows or OS X - so even a year on from my post, its still not possible, hence why people still use emulators.

Also if you open up some of the APK's from the Play store, a lot of them are actually tied down to ARM based libraries, despite the idea being that they aren't supposed to be.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:39 AM   #125
grannygear
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bluestacks not working for me

I am stuck in a loop. It keeps telling me one more step to go to set up 1-click sync, then it asks for my google email, I put it in with the password, and then it looks lie it is going to work, and then it just goes back to "one more step to go to set up 1-click sync." I have spent hours on this, the first one I downloaded after all the time it took, said it only worked with OS X 10.7. I found another one and downloaded that, and it seemed to work fine until I got stuck in this loop. Help?

Last edited by grannygear; Aug 17, 2014 at 04:02 AM.
grannygear is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viber Moves From iOS to Mac with New Desktop App MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 64 Aug 13, 2013 02:35 PM
BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 162 Aug 11, 2012 11:40 PM
iTunes Match 25,000 limit/Amazon Cloud Player 250,000 limit kingledley Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jul 31, 2012 04:03 PM
VLC beta app on Android, but whatever happen to the one we had on the app store? aziatiklover iPhone and iPod touch Apps 10 Jul 3, 2012 12:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC