Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Will Apple Store switch my iMac for MacBook Pro?

Apple care has agreed to replace my 2009 iMac 27 with a new 2012 iMac 27.
I asked them if I could get a 15" MacBook pro with retina but they said no, a replacement has to be the same. My question is can I bring the new one (unopened) to an apple store and exchange it for a MacBook pro? Due to my circumstances i need portability. The replacement will be: 3.4ghz i7 16 gig memory 1tb 7200 rpm drive. Ordered on dec 27th
chpopel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpopel View Post
I asked them if I could get a 15" MacBook pro with retina but they said no, a replacement has to be the same. My question is can I bring the new one (unopened) to an apple store and exchange it for a MacBook pro? Due to my circumstances i need portability. The replacement will be: 3.4ghz i7 16 gig memory 1tb 7200 rpm drive. Ordered on dec 27th
you can certainly try however since it is a replacement im not too sure they would do it, i say give it a try.
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by edry.hilario View Post
you can certainly try however since it is a replacement im not too sure they would do it, i say give it a try.
Or sell it, as an unopened refurbished machine, and use the money towards the laptop. Might take longer, but you would get what you want.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:06 AM   #4
torana355
macrumors 65816

You are pushing your luck, you are already getting a massive upgrade, most company's would only replace the item with the exact same model, you are getting a 2012 model imac!!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
Or sell it, as an unopened refurbished machine, and use the money towards the laptop. Might take longer, but you would get what you want.
Why refurbished? It will be brand new. They are replacing a 2009 with a 2012.
chpopel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #6
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Sell it as a brand new machine but just be honest about how you got it and why you sell it. It's possible you won't get the same box as you would buy it brand new.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleromeo View Post
Sell it as a brand new machine but just be honest about how you got it and why you sell it. It's possible you won't get the same box as you would buy it brand new.
Why wouldn't I be getting a new box? Apple care placed an order for a new machine for me when I shipped my old 2009 iMac. My order is processing.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Outrigger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why wouldn't I be getting a new box? Apple care placed an order for a new machine for me when I shipped my old 2009 iMac. My order is processing.
You cannot swap a free replacement for a different machine. Only option is sell the replacement and buy what you want. But as others have said, kiss the ground that you're getting a brand new replacement.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
You are pushing your luck, you are already getting a massive upgrade, most company's would only replace the item with the exact same model, you are getting a 2012 model imac!!
Yes, sorry, I didn't pay attention to the fact that you are getting a massive upgrade, I probably got distracted while reading it. If you don't want it, sell it. You might not get list price, as someone could easily order straight from Apple and avoid the risk of any problems that this computer (sight unseen) might have. I know I would want a discount to buy it off a guy on the street as opposed to ordering the same machine from Apple.

Knock 10-25% off and sell it on craigslist. Take the money and buy your laptop.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Sell it for about $200 under retail price - they dont pay tax so they save 350+
Spink10 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You may very well be receiving a new iMac, in a new product box, straight off the line with everyone else that has ordered new.

I have no doubt that the serial number on your replacement unit will be cataloged by Apple and you will only have whatever remaining time on your AppleCare from your original 2009 iMac 27.

This will come into the equation if/when you offer this replacement up for sale.

You really should be tickled about this situation and stop making fun of and poking a "Gift-Horse".

From where I'm sitting, you either welcome this very nice warranty settlement or you receive it, put it up for sale, and take the proceeds to your nearest Apple establishment and purchase the rMBP that you want.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
chpopel
macrumors newbie

I phoned an apple store and they said I would need some sort of sales receipt.
I guess I'll keep it and save for a MacBook pro. I do appreciate the fact that I'm getting a new iMac.

----------

Would there be any reason why I couldn't add apple care to my new computer?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

You get a 1 year warranty with a replacement machine. You can then do one of two things:

(1) Transfer your existing AppleCare over. You'll have the remainder of the existing warranty attached. (e.g. You had your machine 1 year 10 months. Your new machine will have 1 year 2 months warranty - the new warranty is replaced by the AppleCare, it doesn't get "added on").

(2) Get a pro-rata'd discount off of AppleCare. Sometimes they'll just discount it, sometimes they'll give you a pro-rata'd refund of the old plan. (e.g. if you have had your machine 1 year 10 months, you'd get a 38% refund or a 38% discount off of the new AppleCare (this works over the entire 3 years, not two, because of the phone support aspect).
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:09 PM   #14
sounddesigner
macrumors regular

I can see no reason why not since its a new machine under new warranty and apple says u need to buy apple care while its still under warranty so u should be able to
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:05 PM   #15
WilliamG
macrumors 603

What's the story behind the 2009 iMac -> 2012 iMac?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
What's the story behind the 2009 iMac -> 2012 iMac?
The 2009 i7 iMac had the hard drive replaced before the recall because of problems on startup. After about a month the same thing happened again. They sent a technician out to replace the hard drive and he suggested I also needed a new LCD screen because of grey spots and overheating. I kinda think there was also other problems with the motherboard. So I complained to AppleCare about all my problems and they agreed to replace my machine. I have AppleCare warranty till march 2013.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:43 PM   #17
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
The 2009 i7 iMac had the hard drive replaced before the recall because of problems on startup. After about a month the same thing happened again. They sent a technician out to replace the hard drive and he suggested I also needed a new LCD screen because of grey spots and overheating. I kinda think there was also other problems with the motherboard. So I complained to AppleCare about all my problems and they agreed to replace my machine. I have AppleCare warranty till march 2013.
Lucky you! Which iMac are they going to give you?

PS I think it's ballsy to request a retina MBP, btw
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:03 PM   #18
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Lucky you! Which iMac are they going to give you?

PS I think it's ballsy to request a retina MBP, btw
Ballsy, yea I suppose.This is what I'll be getting.

Qty:*1
27-inch iMac
Hide Configuration Details
Available to ship:* January
Configuration

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 675MX 1G GDDR5
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
COUNTRY KIT

I upgraded the memory not realizing I could do it myself later. Otherwise they matched my old configuration as I had an i7 upgrade on my 2009 iMac
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:15 PM   #19
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

Dude...your are getting a brand new 2012 27 inch iMac.

I would be ecstatic if I was in your position.
BlazednSleepy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:23 PM   #20
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazednSleepy View Post
Dude...your are getting a brand new 2012 27 inch iMac.

I would be ecstatic if I was in your position.
I am very happy with the situation I'll be happier when I get my new
iMac. Right now I have no computer

I thank all you guys who replied. I do appreciate all your comments.
Ps. That's the second time today someone's called me dude!!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
I am very happy with the situation I'll be happier when I get my new
iMac. Right now I have no computer

I thank all you guys who replied. I do appreciate all your comments.
Ps. That's the second time today someone's called me dude!!
Ahem...

Well, yes, I think you're bonkers to even complain. If you really want an MBP I'd truly just sell it unopened. Check the serial number when you get the new one and see what warranty it has by going here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I'd be surprised if you only got the remainder of your warranty from your 2009. You may well get a brand new warranty. That makes it an easy sell, and then you can get a new MBP!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:36 PM   #22
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I'd be surprised if you only got the remainder of your warranty from your 2009. You may well get a brand new warranty. That makes it an easy sell, and then you can get a new MBP!
My 2009 iMac warranty expires on march 10th 2013. Are ou implying the new one will have a 1 year parts and labor warranty?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:05 AM   #23
Blkant
macrumors member

Quote:
How did you get them to agree to that? O_o
Blkant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 AM   #24
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
My 2009 iMac warranty expires on march 10th 2013. Are ou implying the new one will have a 1 year parts and labor warranty?
I'm implying it may well do. Yes. You'll find out, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would make no sense for them to specifically hunt down that serial number and degrade a brand new machine to essentially a 2-month warranty. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 AM   #25
chpopel
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
I'm implying it may well do. Yes. You'll find out, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would make no sense for them to specifically hunt down that serial number and degrade a brand new machine to essentially a 2-month warranty. Let us know how you get on.
got my new 27" iMac last thursday! it came wednesday but nobody was home to sign for it. opened it up friday when i got home and it is great! just checked and it does have a one year warranty! i will be buying the apple care again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac