Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Store Opéra in Paris, France was robbed by four masked gunmen on New Year's Eve. The thieves made off with more than 1 million euros worth of iPhones and iPads.

opera_gallery_image5.jpg
Christophe Crepin, an Unsa police union official, told Le Parisien newspaper that 'the four hooded and heavily armed criminals made their move very quickly. Most of the police forces were being mobilised to monitor the Champs Elysees, so the robbers have clearly benefitted from this opportunity to strike.'

Mr Crepin said the robbers mainly took 'a lot of goods' and very little money. Early estimates were that the haul was worth well over 1 million euros, or close to 1 million pounds.
With Apple gadgets fetching such a high price on the secondary market, thefts of individual devices in muggings are common. However, organized robberies on Apple Retail Stores are more uncommon.

The Covent Garden location in London was attacked by a group of armed motorcycle riders in 2011, while an Apple Store employee was shot at a Virginia Apple Store back in 2009. Smash and grabs are more common, with thieves using vehicles to crash through the barricades at outdoor stores to steal merchandise.

Article Link: Parisian Apple Store Robbed of 1 Million Euros in Merchandise on New Year's Eve

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
Time to hit ebay ;) On a serious note, security staff probably had their "eyes closed" by "design".

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Wow, I was just in that store recently...
Apple needs to find a way to beef up their security in these stores. The more these stories are in the news the more smash and grabs are going to happen...

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Find my phone and find my Mac should be enabled on all store devices. That way making them easier to track and possibly less of a temptation to steal if the thieves knew about it

pac

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
MacBookPro13";16591289 said:
Thanks for the credit after I emailing you the story lads!

MacRumors didn't credit me after I emailed the story about Steve Jobs dying.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
MacRumors didn't credit me after I emailed the story about Steve Jobs dying.

If the story can be sourced by a newspaper or news outlet, no need. Otherwise MR does credit individuals. Source: I was the source of a news report regarding the iPhone 4's 'grip of death issue' and a fix that helped others but not all.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
MacBookPro13";16591289 said:
Thanks for the credit after I emailing you the story lads!

What exactly did you do that was so heroic we all need to know about it?

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
If their products weren't so over priced then there wouldn't be such a false second hand product market. You don't see people smash and grab PC World for some Samsung laptops because their prices are reasonable so there isn't a stupid second hand market.

MrAwax

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
Goods where taken from storage area

This morning, the store was closed but you could see thru the windows that the interior was completely intact, with the display tables and sample products are their place.

So they most probably grabbed crates of iPhones and iPads still in their boxes, allowing a much efficient robbery than the crash and grab we saw on videos.

For Apple, using the serial numbers when they connect to the internet and phone home, to either brick them or spot them would be a good solution.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
If their products weren't so over priced then there wouldn't be such a false second hand product market. You don't see people smash and grab PC World for some Samsung laptops because their prices are reasonable so there isn't a stupid second hand market.

False? :D

I think it's a National thing. In fact, i'm almost certain. But shhhh, can't talk about it. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.