Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Marbles1
macrumors member

David Braben's Elite 4 gets OS X Stretch Goal

Looks like Elite 4 is getting Mac Support (if it raises 1.4million GBP!)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...angerous/posts

I've been looking forward to this since my Atari ST days, great to see it coming out on the Mac. The only good OS's are those with a menu bar across the top of the screen ;-)
Marbles1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Optimus Frag
macrumors regular

I've already made a submission to macrumors. Hopefully they'll post it and send a few more people to the kickstarter page.

This game has to be made and to have it on the best OS would be the dogs dangler.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Keeval
macrumors member

It has just gone over the £1M mark.. so the OSX stretch goal is looking like it could be hit.
Keeval is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
old-mac-man
macrumors member

Needs a push to get to the Mac stretch goal.
old-mac-man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502

I find this new crowd funding economy quite strange really......
Nova Sensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
I really dislike that big devs go on kickstarter and asking about close to two million dollars to make a game.

It takes away focus and money from smaller devs. Kickstarter should really get a upper limit on goals to keep away people like these and Peter Molneyux away from it.

I believe many smaller projects fail on kickstarter because people gives money to the big companies.

Next up on kickstarter:

Windows 9, for 10 mill bucks and Call of Duty Black Ops 3 for 6 mill...
And of course Battlefield 4 for only 5 mill..
cluthz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:03 AM   #7
old-mac-man
macrumors member

Or alternatively, thousands are introduced to KickStarter who would never have heard of it otherwise, providing a much larger pool of potential backers for all projects.
old-mac-man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Keeval
macrumors member

Well - Elite : Dangerous has hit it's funding goal, now onwards for the Mac version and other stretch goals.
Keeval is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
I really dislike that big devs go on kickstarter and asking about close to two million dollars to make a game.
David Braben is not a big developer and $2M is not that much. An AAA game would have a budget 100X that.

Quote:
I believe many smaller projects fail on kickstarter because people gives money to the big companies.
That makes no sense. Projects fail because they are low quality, or people aren't interested, or the developers didn't do enough publicity.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Sensei View Post
I find this new crowd funding economy quite strange really......
Same here...as if an extra million pounds were really needed to develop an OS X version of a game...if in doubt, ask small companies like Spiderweb et al.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:14 PM   #11
TheHareBear
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Same here...as if an extra million pounds were really needed to develop an OS X version of a game...if in doubt, ask small companies like Spiderweb et al.
They are only asking for an extra 150K (1.25M GBP for the Windows version, 1.4M GBP for Windows+OS X).

If you are going to pledge it needs to be soon, ~130K to go with 48 hours left.

Andy
TheHareBear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHareBear View Post
They are only asking for an extra 150K (1.25M GBP for the Windows version, 1.4M GBP for Windows+OS X).

If you are going to pledge it needs to be soon, ~130K to go with 48 hours left.

Andy
Thanks but no, I won't - I don't even know how such contributions would be audited and used in the first place.
50548 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:07 AM   #13
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Done. Seems like a bargain. Elite on the BBC was the first computer game I ever played. It'll be good to have a Mac version too.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:46 AM   #14
tomvos
macrumors regular

Crossed the 1,400,000 GBP threshold a few hours ago. So we will most likely see Eliteangerous natively on a the Mac.
tomvos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:45 AM   #15
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

I threw in £25 to reserve my name in the Elite universe. It seems the least I could do after spending countless hours in Elite when i was a nipper.

I played it on a 32K Acorn electron - full 3D space dogfights in 32K I got so zoned that I never noticed that the gamespeed slowed down in particularly intense dogfights - I remember playing in summer and watching the patches of sunbeams move across the wall of my bedroom and marvelling at how fast they were traversing ...
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 09:42 AM   #16
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

A year later, and the Alpha version is out now. You can buy early access at the low, low price of £200. The final game will cost about £35, out later this year.

https://elite.frontier.co.uk/

There's also some updated news and a dev diary on the Kickstarter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...angerous/posts

I'd put this project to the back of my mind till I saw some news about it today. I thought "I've never supported a Kickstarter project, but it seems the sort of thing I'd support". Looked through my notes, and found that I have indeed posted in this thread saying I put in £25 to reserve my in-game name.

However, I can't find any other record of my contribution in the Kickstarter archives or on the Elite website. Did I happen to dream putting in £25?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Looks like the Alpha is PC-only.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:06 PM   #18
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
A year later, and the Alpha version is out now. You can buy early access at the low, low price of £200. The final game will cost about £35, out later this year.

https://elite.frontier.co.uk/

There's also some updated news and a dev diary on the Kickstarter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...angerous/posts

I'd put this project to the back of my mind till I saw some news about it today. I thought "I've never supported a Kickstarter project, but it seems the sort of thing I'd support". Looked through my notes, and found that I have indeed posted in this thread saying I put in £25 to reserve my in-game name.

However, I can't find any other record of my contribution in the Kickstarter archives or on the Elite website. Did I happen to dream putting in £25?
Search your emails for "kickstarter". You should find your receipt. Also search for an email titled "Elite Dangerous Store", mid December 2013, explaining how to log in and check your purchase is there OK.

Alpha is PC only, as will be the beta. I contacted support asking about the possibility of increasing my pledge to allow beta testing the Mac version.

The reply:

Quote:
At the moment the beta only applies to the PC version.

Thanks
I've asked to be informed if and when this changes.

Last edited by cal6n; Feb 4, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 02:44 PM   #19
old-mac-man
macrumors member

Alpha 1.1 works nicely in BootCamp, awaiting alpha 2 along with the rest of the community.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:00 AM   #20
VI™
macrumors 6502a

Didn't get to read much on this. Will this be like a "version" of EVE where you can actually fly the ships? By that, I mean will there be player stats and investment in gear involved rather than everyone being able to fire it up and pick the best ship and best weapons from the get go?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 02:08 PM   #21
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post
Didn't get to read much on this. Will this be like a "version" of EVE where you can actually fly the ships? By that, I mean will there be player stats and investment in gear involved rather than everyone being able to fire it up and pick the best ship and best weapons from the get go?
REAMDE
Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:06 AM   #22
old-mac-man
macrumors member

The multi-player alpha 2 is out and it's a blast. Only had time for a quick free for all combat and managed to get someone else before being blasted to space dust . The experience was smooth for me, but there were plenty of problems for others.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games