Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonAllen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
I have been using iPhoto for about 18 months. I have loads of photos in there but it has stopped working.

Someone said that Apple just wants you to enjoy the experience of their products. Well I am not.

The error message I am getting is "Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable." I have been using iMovie to import some stills from iPhoto so I closed everything down and restarted the computer.

I had the same error. The error message suggests holding down the options key and the Command key while starting iPhoto. I did that. I have tried all four options in order. None work. Indeed Repair Thumbnails and Repair database just cause the program to exit. Rebuilding the database does not have any effect either.

I am desperate to get my photos back.

I have downloaded iPhoto Library Manager but that is only seeing fraction of my photos.

Help, please.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
i have not used iPhoto Library Manager, but my understanding is that it creates a new Library and will leave the old (corrupted) Library intact. Your Photo's should still be in your old (corrupted) iPhoto library

If you open iPhoto and choose from the menu File>Switch to Library it should show you the iPhoto Library that it is currently using (the new one created by iPhoto Library Manager) and underneath should be listed the name of the old corrupted Library. Make a note of the old Corrupted Library name and location. And then click the Create New... Button to create a brand new library. Give the Library a suitable name and I would keep default location of the Pictures Folder.

To see inside your old (corrupted) Library right click (or ctlr click) on it in the Finder, using the details that you got above and select 'show package contents'. You will then see a folder called Masters - where your original photo's are stored. Make a copy of this folder by pressing the alt key and dragging to the desktop. Please make sure that you copy the folder and don't move it! (you should see a little green + symbol by the side of the folder icon as you drag it to the desktop).

Then in iPhoto choose File >Import from the main menu and point to the copy of the masters library. iPhoto should then re-import all the photo's into your new Library.

I would also use Disk Utility to check that you don't have any errors on your hard disk.

Last edited:

SimonAllen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Most grateful for your thoughts on this. It seems the option of holding down the Cmd and Option keys while initiating iPhoto has changed. Not sure when. An old version gave tick boxes to correct things. The version I am using is using is version 9.4.2 Not sure if that is the latest or not.

This version has radio buttons so they are mutually exclusive. I tried the bottom one which is to rebuild the database. When I tried it last night it did not run but this this morning it did and about 5 minutes later iPhoto was running again. What I find irritating is that I have done nothing to cause it to fail. Apple keeps you away from tinkering after all. So I have no idea what caused it to fall over. Any idea.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... So I have no idea what caused it to fall over. Any idea.
The iPhoto Library is practically bulletproof. I have Libraries that date back more than a decade. The cause of the fail is user user error in all probability. Only you know what you did.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Most grateful for your thoughts on this. It seems the option of holding down the Cmd and Option keys while initiating iPhoto has changed. Not sure when. An old version gave tick boxes to correct things. The version I am using is using is version 9.4.2 Not sure if that is the latest or not.

This version has radio buttons so they are mutually exclusive. I tried the bottom one which is to rebuild the database. When I tried it last night it did not run but this this morning it did and about 5 minutes later iPhoto was running again. What I find irritating is that I have done nothing to cause it to fail. Apple keeps you away from tinkering after all. So I have no idea what caused it to fall over. Any idea.

Simon, glad that you got it all working. Yes, you have the latest version of iPhoto.

I assume that you don't have a backup solution at the moment, if you don't I suggest that you get get a cheap external disk (if you don't have one already) and use Time Machine to backup your hard disk. Apple uses the same hard disks and SSD drives that you can find in any PC and they do from time to time fail. If fact I normally say to people that I am helping it is not a case of if a hard disk will fail, but when. Might be in 10 years time, might be next week.

The great thing about Time Machine is you can largely forget about it once you set it up, it just backs up your stuff automatically. If you have a laptop a Time Capsule may be a better bet as that can use Time Machine to backup over wifi.

If you don't fancy Time Machine there are other options, as long as you have something in place. I normally suggest Time Machine as it is so easy to set up, and will protect you from Hard Disk failure. If you want extra security you can add offsite backup with a cloud backup solution like Crashplan.

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
James, Im using a TC to back up wirelessly via Time Machine. But Ive also just bought a Western Digital My Passport external HD for additional backups of just my photos & videos.

I expect I will be connecting this via USB, do I need to locate the original photos in Finder and then drag them over, or can I do this from iPhoto?

Thanks
Steve.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi Steve, late one tonight then :)

I think you have Mountain Lion - If that is the case I would use Time Machine, as with Mountain Lion, Time Machine can use multiple backup drives. Check out this article.

However if you don't want a full second backup then use the vault facility built into Aperture. This is an incremental backup system that will allow you to keep a copy of your iPhoto / Aperture Library on multiple external drives. This is what I use to make sure I have an offsite copy of my photo Library. If I remember correctly you have a copy of Aperture as well and both programs can share a common library.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I use Time Machine for my consistent hourly backup up method. then I have an external HD that I use SuperDuper to do a complete bootable backup should my time machine backup ever fail. I think using two different software programs to backup with is ideal. Also Be sure to keep a backup at another location or in a fire box in case of fire or other disaster. Never store your backup drive and your computer in the same area...theft likely means you lose everything including your backup.

I got this neurotic because I lost data one time when my HD failed and my Time Machine backup stopped working right without me knowing about it. (it was early in the Time MAchine life cycle) I also got burned at my school when my tech guy said we were backing up but his software failed to work right. I figure now I have an almost fool proof method of backing up.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I use Time Machine for my consistent hourly backup up method. then I have an external HD that I use SuperDuper to do a complete bootable backup should my time machine backup ever fail. I think using two different software programs to backup with is ideal. Also Be sure to keep a backup at another location or in a fire box in case of fire or other disaster. Never store your backup drive and your computer in the same area...theft likely means you lose everything including your backup.

I got this neurotic because I lost data one time when my HD failed and my Time Machine backup stopped working right without me knowing about it. (it was early in the Time MAchine life cycle) I also got burned at my school when my tech guy said we were backing up but his software failed to work right. I figure now I have an almost fool proof method of backing up.

Great advice about using two different programs to back up your data.

I would advice against a fireproof safe. The ratings on those are so poor that the chance your data surviving a large fire is very low. Offsite is MUCH better.

I strongly recommend using cloud based backup. That way your backup is automatic... and continuous. It is also extreme inexpensive... and the most secure of all your backup options.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.