Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:38 PM   #151
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
They should offer Black/White/Silver as base and the other colors as 'order' options via the store/online.

That way Apple doesn't get stuck with colors people don't want, etc.
Is that why people are against colored phones?

Afraid that they might get their phones a couple days late?



but sure. I wouldn't personally get a colored phone, but its not a big deal if the phone is a little late.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:47 PM   #152
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Thoughts

A few suggestions:

Colors: Don't copy the candy colors of the ipod line. Add a "Product Red" iPhone which helps AIDS funding and also add a "Product Pink" iPhone to support breast cancer. The pink will be a hit with the ladies for its color and the charity aspect; they'll be hits.

Sizes: The only reason I can see for a larger phone would be for older people to read better. However, I don't know if even the huge A$$droid phones are more readible so just stick with the 4". It's not too big but not too small.

If Apple does ever make a bigger phone they'll need to make it a size which will be easy (preferably effortless) for developers to support. Updating apps for the 4" was a pain for numerous reasons. Developers out there...you know what I'm talking about.

Features: Add a more secure way to protect your phone. With iPhone thefts on the rise we need better protection than a stinky 4-digit password. Also, why can the "Find my iPhone" feature be turned off so easily?! I'd like to see advanced finger recognition technology to make the phones more secure while still quick and easy to access.

Also I agree (with another MR user) that iOS needs some more work. Why is it a 5 step process to reduce screen brightness on the iPhone?! There ARE better ways to do things.

Apple needs to make an API for Siri somehow...how neat would that be?!

Quick story about crapDroid; was talking to a friend recently and told her to download Instagram. She found it on the Google Play store but it said it couldn't be downloaded because her device wasn't supported. Instead she could only download an app called "Instagram World" which turned out to be something totally unrelated which looked like crap. Watching the whole experience made me feel more confident about recommending Apple products (especially for non-geeks). If I ever would recommend Android I'd suggest to buy the most popular/expensive phone, however, if you have enough money for that you should probably just get an iPhone and enjoy the premium experience. Seems to me that Android is mostly popular because the majority of phones are cheap and are pushed hard by salespeople because they get a bigger commission. The you have übergeeks who are bent on customization and hardware specs.

Really though Apple is to blame for Androids rise. It was a huge mistake for Apple to sign such a lo g exclusive contract with AT&T. If they would have come out on all networks Android would never have gotten a strong foothold. I heard from SO MANY people initially who said they'd love an iPhone but can because they aren't on AT&T. What a shame. Not sure what could be done internationally (where android is much stronger)...it's tough in foreign markets where people can't afford the Apple premium price. However, if Apple didn't get locked down with AT&T, I'm sure Android would be relegated to ONLY foreign markets and niche users.

Last edited by shiseiryu1; Jan 2, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Got curt off
shiseiryu1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:03 PM   #153
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
choice is good. i would love to see this happen, but i don't think it will. hopefully at least the colors will happen though
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:04 PM   #154
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendevouspoo View Post
That's extremely arrogant and simply not true. S3 is without a doubt giving Apple some problems, and with the release of the S4 in the future, it's going to get tough for Apple. Apple users cannot still call the Samsung line 'cheap' or the Android OS 'cheap,' because now they are on par.
Look up arrogant, ok? I don't think you know what it means.

It is very much true. Apple doesn't need to be all things to all people. They have chosen a screen size and many of their users are quite happy. If they weren't, Apple would be sitting on piles of unsold iPhones. Instead, they are selling every phone they can make. And they can't make them fast enough to satisfy the demand. They're doing everything right. Just because YOU want a bigger screen doesn't mean Apple has to oblige. Get it? There's nothing arrogant about that. I guess it's arrogant of BMW to not offer a $5000 Everyman car, right?

I don't know if Samsung phones are "cheap" or not. I don't care. I have NO interest in them. I'm very happy with what Apple offers. My devices stay in sync. I'm comfortable with the OS and interface. I want for nothing. So your point is moot to me and many others.

When Apple has unsold iPhones lying around and their manufacturing partners are busy trying to find other devices to produce to keep their assembly lines running, I'll concede that you and others here have a point. However, that day is not today. And it doesn't look like it's coming anytime in the foreseeable future.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #155
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
It's not that they can't make the same kind of margins. Their manufacturing partners are already working around the clock to produce the current iPhone models. If they add another model to the mix, they simply might not be able to meet the demand. Apple doesn't need to be all things to all people. They're incredibly successful with their current offerings. If you don't like the fact that the iPhone has a smaller screen than an S3, buy an S3. I don't think Apple is losing business because of screen size. And even if they are, so what? They're still raking in way more profit than anyone else in the mobile industry and barely meeting the iPhone demand as is.
I guess you still can not figure out that the bigger size Iphone is additional business for Apple. There are two gating factor in the 4Q launch of Iphone 5. The lcd screen production volume and Foxconn quality problem. Both will resolve by 1Q13. So the question is why not launch more product in 2Q or 3Q13? And Apple has different partners for different product. One busy partner does not stop Apple from working with other partners for new products.

Did you ever look at Apple earning statement at all? Apple overall gross margin is between 36% (management projection) and 48% (1Q12) and it depends on how expensive the new technology that they roll into different products and where are they in the production curve. The one thing that Apple can control is the number of new product. Bigger size phone is one of those no brainer hw product. All the hassle is in the software side. If they can fix the app issue, a 15m unit quarter would mean almost 10B revenue and their net margin is in the 20-25% range.. So about 2Bish a quarter kind of profit. Why should they give it up?
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #156
Clocksetbyfeel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Sort of funny

This is going to be great! I've always wanted another iPhone that gets scratched super easy and that the paint comes off and looks ugly So cool.

Fix your current iPhone apple.
Clocksetbyfeel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:08 PM   #157
Technarchy
macrumors 601
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Seems like we get the same rumors every year.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:12 PM   #158
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I know tons of former iPhone zealots who have switched or want to switch to Android because they offer bigger screens.

I can't believe all you whiny brats that think people shouldn't have options just because you are happy with a 4" black phone.

Apple absolutely needs to include themselves in the "bigger screen/battery" category. And adding some colors would be fine.

This will have absolutely zero effect on your medium sized black phone.

Fragmentation? Are you serious? This is the most valuable company in the world. They can keep track. Haha. Developers will adjust. God you guys are ridiculous.
Apple most certainly does NOT need to include themselves in the BIGGER category just because you say so. They are selling more phones than they can produce. Why should they make another phone with a bigger screen? There's no point.

And yes, fragmentation is a legit concern. Look at the disaster that is Android development. Too many screen sizes to support, too much variety of hardware. It's not an advantage to developers. Apple has a very robust developer community precisely because they are focused and developers appreciate that. "Developers will adjust"...said the layperson.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:13 PM   #159
AXTX
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I could see Apple throwing an OLED into the iPhone 5S like the Samsung Galaxy SIII has. (Same size and resolution)

Because Apple used the camera from the 4S I could see a new camera for the iPhone 5S, if not at least a modification to the lens to avoid the purple hue issues.

I really doubt the iPhone will see any new colors, specifically the more wild colors that the iPod touch uses. If they were to bring something out I could see a silver/dark grey.
AXTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:13 PM   #160
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseiryu1 View Post
A few suggestions:

Colors: Don't copy the candy colors of the ipod line. Add a "Product Red" iPhone which helps AIDS funding and also add a "Product Pink" iPhone to support breast cancer. The pink will be a hit with the ladies for its color and the charity aspect; they'll be hits.

Sizes: The only reason I can see for a larger phone would be for older people to read better. However, I don't know if even the huge A$$droid phones are more readible so just stick with the 4". It's not too big but not too small.

If Apple does ever make a bigger phone they'll need to make it a size which will be easy (preferably effortless) for developers to support. Updating apps for the 4" was a pain for numerous reasons. Developers out there...you know what I'm talking about.

Features: Add a more secure way to protect your phone. With iPhone thefts on the rise we need better protection than a stinky 4-digit password. Also, why can the "Find my iPhone" feature be turned off so easily?! I'd like to see advanced finger recognition technology to make the phones more secure while still quick and easy to access.

Also I agree (with another MR user) that iOS needs some more work. Why is it a 5 step process to reduce screen brightness on the iPhone?! There ARE better ways to do things.

Apple needs to make an API for Siri somehow...how neat would that be?!

Quick story about crapDroid; was talking to a friend recently and told her to download Instagram. She found it on the Google Play store but it said it couldn't be downloaded because her device wasn't supported. Instead she could only download an app called "Instagram World" which turned out to be something totally unrelated which looked like crap. Watching the whole experience made me feel more confident about recommending Apple products (especially for non-geeks). If I ever would recommend Android I'd suggest to buy the most popular/expensive phone, however, if you have enough money for that you should probably just get an iPhone and enjoy the premium experience. Seems to me that Android is mostly popular because the majority of phones are cheap and are pushed hard by salespeople because they get a bigger commission. The you have übergeeks who are bent on customization and hardware specs.

Really though Apple is to blame for Androids rise. It was a huge mistake for Apple to sign such a lo g exclusive contract with AT&T. If they would have come out on all networks Android would never have gotten a strong foothold. I heard from SO MANY people initially who said they'd love an iPhone but can because they aren't on AT&T. What a shame. Not sure what could be done internationally (where android is much stronger)...it's tough in foreign markets where people can't afford the Apple premium price. However, if Apple didn't get locked down with AT&T, I'm sure Android would be relegated to ONLY foreign markets and niche users.
I totally agree with ur last paragraph... Steve Jobs was a bad businessman
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:15 PM   #161
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
I guess you still can not figure out that the bigger size Iphone is additional business for Apple. There are two gating factor in the 4Q launch of Iphone 5. The lcd screen production volume and Foxconn quality problem. Both will resolve by 1Q13. So the question is why not launch more product in 2Q or 3Q13? And Apple has different partners for different product. One busy partner does not stop Apple from working with other partners for new products.

Did you ever look at Apple earning statement at all? Apple overall gross margin is between 36% (management projection) and 48% (1Q12) and it depends on how expensive the new technology that they roll into different products and where are they in the production curve. The one thing that Apple can control is the number of new product. Bigger size phone is one of those no brainer hw product. All the hassle is in the software side. If they can fix the app issue, a 15m unit quarter would mean almost 10B revenue and their net margin is in the 20-25% range.. So about 2Bish a quarter kind of profit. Why should they give it up?
I've been invested in Apple for nearly 30 years. You obviously know nothing about Apple's manufacturing relationships. It's not as easy as just adding another partner. If it were, don't you think they'd do that today to meet the current demand. Use your brain.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
I totally agree with ur last paragraph... Steve Jobs was a bad businessman
Are you a comedian? Let me guess, you built the world's most valuable tech company, right? Grow up and stop making yourself look stupid.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:16 PM   #162
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
Apple most certainly does NOT need to include themselves in the BIGGER category just because you say so. They are selling more phones than they can produce. Why should they make another phone with a bigger screen? There's no point.

And yes, fragmentation is a legit concern. Look at the disaster that is Android development. Too many screen sizes to support, too much variety of hardware. It's not an advantage to developers. Apple has a very robust developer community precisely because they are focused and developers appreciate that. "Developers will adjust"...said the layperson.
Apple is only adding one, i repeat ONE, additional larger display. Iphone is uber popular too, android has sooo many sizes thats why it experienced fragmentation and only phones made by Samsung that are popular

Last edited by balamw; Jan 3, 2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Name-calling
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:18 PM   #163
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
the app fragmentation problem is reason # 1 that it won't happen. It's a big issue. For that reason alone, it won't happen.

#2: They would lose their profit margins. Say they make a 4" model and a 4.8" model. Sure maybe they would sell 20-30M of the 4.8" model... but what is the net gain of consumers. Meaning how many people wouldn't have bought a 4" model anyway, if it were the only option? Maybe 5-10M? Now say apple makes a mini 3" model as well as the 4" and 4.8". Sure they may sell a few more, but there is diminishing returns. It takes a lot in R&D, manufacturing, etc for each new product. Apple is struggling to manage demand already.

#3: Apple is convinced 4" is the largest you can get one handed operation (and I agree). Apple isn't the "choice" type of company. They pick what they believe is best for the consumer and shove it down their throat. Typically they are right. It's not quite a one size fits all, but it fits most and that's good enough for Apple.

I, personally, think that any size from 4"-5.2" is kind of an awkward size for a phone. It's too big to really be used one handed, but it deceptively makes you think that you can... untill you try to touch something you can't reach. If you need to use both hands anyway, just go for size. That's why I think the 5.5"-6" phablets actually are a very interesting and potentially promising market. They tell you upfront "I am a two handed device" and you get a good amount of screen real estate for it. Sure it makes kind of a terrible phone, but I find myself using that feature less and less. I think an iPhone/iPad mini combo is awesome. But it's still two devices. Would a 6" iOS phablet be an ideal one size fits all? or would it be a terrible compromise that tries too hard to be something that it's not? I don't really know

it is better to look at the financial instead of talking in general term. Apple fiscal 2012 (10/2011 to 9/2012) has 156B revenue, cost of sales 87B, net profit 41.7B, you want to guess how much is R&D? 3.38B. Market and SG&A is 10B (p 43). If you stare at this set of number long enough, I think you would argue that, for Apple, if they grow revenue, a very big portion of the revenue will drop to the earning (unless it is Ipad mini, the gross margin suck there big time because of the 329 starting price). And Iphone average selling price is around 650ish, so 5m additional unit sales is about 3.2B revenue and about 855m profit... And most importantly the inroad of the high end Android is from the bigger size smartphone, why should Apple cede that market to Android if they can fix the fragmentation problem? If they can't, sure the existing iphone business is more important. But didn't we have another article talking about Apple warning developers that future Idevice size and resolution will change?

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...411355d10k.htm
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #164
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
I've been invested in Apple for nearly 30 years. You obviously know nothing about Apple's manufacturing relationships. It's not as easy as just adding another partner. If it were, don't you think they'd do that today to meet the current demand. Use your brain.

----------



Are you a comedian? Let me guess, you built the world's most valuable tech company, right? Grow up and stop making yourself look stupid.
Steve Jobs was good at making iPods... iPhones suck
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #165
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Come on wireless charging!
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #166
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Samsung sues back Apple... This means WARRRRRR!!!! lets kill Samsung by killing its profits in HDTV, larger displays smartphones, etc. i would love to see Samsung dies
raptorstv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:23 PM   #167
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
Apple is only adding one, i repeat ONE, additional larger display. Iphone is uber popular too, android has sooo many sizes thats why it experienced fragmentation
1. Apple just increased the screen size of the iPhone.

2. It's not simply a matter of adding a larger screen. It's a new product with it's own design, manufacturing, and support concerns.

3. A larger screen means developers have to now code for yet another screen size. Not all apps have been updated to support the iPhone 5 yet. It's hard to imagine another screen size update coming anytime soon.

4. Apple can't produce enough iPhones with the current screen size. They really don't have any need to produce one with a larger (or smaller, for that matter) screen.

I'm not saying that Apple won't ever produce an iPhone with a larger screen, but I can't see any possible benefit to them at this point. They can't make enough iPhones to satisfy demand and there are still many relatively, if not wholly, untapped markets around the world. There's no compelling reason to make iPhones with a bunch of different screen sizes. Not to mention, Apple has always been about simplicity and focus, at least since Jobs returned.

I know it's hard for you, but try thinking

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 3, 2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Quoted Name calling removed and insults
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:28 PM   #168
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
Logic is obviously lost on someone of your middling (go ahead, look it up) intellect, but here goes anyway:

1. Apple just increased the screen size of the iPhone.

2. It's not simply a matter of adding a larger screen. It's a new product with it's own design, manufacturing, and support concerns.

3. A larger screen means developers have to now code for yet another screen size. Not all apps have been updated to support the iPhone 5 yet. It's hard to imagine another screen size update coming anytime soon.

4. Apple can't produce enough iPhones with the current screen size. They really don't have any need to produce one with a larger (or smaller, for that matter) screen.

I know it's hard for you, but try thinking.

----------



Said the loser nerd in his bedroom about the man who changed the world. You're pathetic.
Shut up man.... Just look at how well the ipad mini is selling. Good luck trying to buy 16gb ipad mini both the wifi and cellular, theyre sold out everywhere
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:31 PM   #169
gjkiii
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseiryu1 View Post
A few suggestions:

Colors: Don't copy the candy colors of the ipod line. Add a "Product Red" iPhone which helps AIDS funding and also add a "Product Pink" iPhone to support breast cancer. The pink will be a hit with the ladies for its color and the charity aspect; they'll be hits.

Sizes: The only reason I can see for a larger phone would be for older people to read better. However, I don't know if even the huge A$$droid phones are more readible so just stick with the 4". It's not too big but not too small.

If Apple does ever make a bigger phone they'll need to make it a size which will be easy (preferably effortless) for developers to support. Updating apps for the 4" was a pain for numerous reasons. Developers out there...you know what I'm talking about.

Features: Add a more secure way to protect your phone. With iPhone thefts on the rise we need better protection than a stinky 4-digit password. Also, why can the "Find my iPhone" feature be turned off so easily?! I'd like to see advanced finger recognition technology to make the phones more secure while still quick and easy to access.

Also I agree (with another MR user) that iOS needs some more work. Why is it a 5 step process to reduce screen brightness on the iPhone?! There ARE better ways to do things.

Apple needs to make an API for Siri somehow...how neat would that be?!

Quick story about crapDroid; was talking to a friend recently and told her to download Instagram. She found it on the Google Play store but it said it couldn't be downloaded because her device wasn't supported. Instead she could only download an app called "Instagram World" which turned out to be something totally unrelated which looked like crap. Watching the whole experience made me feel more confident about recommending Apple products (especially for non-geeks). If I ever would recommend Android I'd suggest to buy the most popular/expensive phone, however, if you have enough money for that you should probably just get an iPhone and enjoy the premium experience. Seems to me that Android is mostly popular because the majority of phones are cheap and are pushed hard by salespeople because they get a bigger commission. The you have übergeeks who are bent on customization and hardware specs.

Really though Apple is to blame for Androids rise. It was a huge mistake for Apple to sign such a lo g exclusive contract with AT&T. If they would have come out on all networks Android would never have gotten a strong foothold. I heard from SO MANY people initially who said they'd love an iPhone but can because they aren't on AT&T. What a shame. Not sure what could be done internationally (where android is much stronger)...it's tough in foreign markets where people can't afford the Apple premium price. However, if Apple didn't get locked down with AT&T, I'm sure Android would be relegated to ONLY foreign markets and niche users.
I agree with your last paragraph completely. They probably made that exclusive deal because it made them the most money. Steve probably didn't see big android phone sales coming. Apple also decided after the deal was over to still charge the carriers like verizon and sprint lots of money to carry the phone. Also apple choses to keep their profit margin high so the a prepaid price is really high whereas an android phone is more affordable. Also as far as colors go, apple cannot even get enough black and white ones ready for launch how will they even get colored ones ready.
gjkiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:31 PM   #170
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If the iPhone came out the same size as the Note 2, I'd get it in white.

Either way I'll be upgrading to a 5S or 6. Depends how long I want to use my 4S jailbroken if the scene is dead.

Last edited by dinggus; Jan 2, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:31 PM   #171
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
Shut up man.... Just look at how well the ipad mini is selling. Good luck trying to buy 16gb ipad mini both the wifi and cellular, its sold out everywhere
And what does that have to do with iPhone? Seriously, are your last two brain cells rubbing together to keep warm or what? If anything, the fact the iPad mini is "sold out everywhere" (not true, see below) further supports my argument that adding another screen size to the iPhone would only create more problems for Apple because it can't meet the demand for its existing device lineup.

iPad is one type of device. iPhone is another. And I had no trouble finding my iPad Mini with cellular at my local Apple store.

It's amazing how bent out of shape people get because THEY want something. Buy an Android and shut up already.

Last edited by robbyx; Jan 2, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #172
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
I've been invested in Apple for nearly 30 years. You obviously know nothing about Apple's manufacturing relationships. It's not as easy as just adding another partner. If it were, don't you think they'd do that today to meet the current demand. Use your brain.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

.
yap, I agree. Use your brain.. You know Ipad mini screen is from LG and AU. Iphone 5 is from LG and Japan Display. And the IGZO display, whenever it ready to show up in future idevice is going to come from Sharp. The only constant partner in Apple manufacturing universe is Samsung for the CPU (and will now be TSMC) and Foxconn. And they bring in Pegatron so that they won't rely completely on Foxconn.

Apple runs a horizontal manufacturing operations. Apple picks and choose the partners for each devices. If their partner has production problem for one device, it won't affect another device. So tell me which supplier will gate Apple so that they cannot produce a bigger screen phone down the road? And why would Apple not seek a new partner to dance? I agree use your brain 8-)

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12...t-three-years/

Quote:
Always keen on never putting all its eggs in one basket, Apple has been trying to mitigate risk by sourcing components from multiple suppliers. The same goes for product assembly. Though the firm traditionally outsources manufacturing to Foxconn, the world’s largest product assembler, Taipei, Taiwan-based Pegatron Technology has been rising increasingly as Apple’s other manufacturing partner. According to a report from an Asian trade publication, Pegatron will now get to build the majority of iPad orders for the next three years…

Though DigiTimes has a hit-and-miss track record when it comes to the Apple rumors space, the publication is usually right about news related to manufacturing, as well as materials and component procurement.

DigiTimes wrote yesterday:

In the future, Apple is expected to gradually adjust its order strategy, outsourcing the majority of its iPad orders (60-70%) and minority of iPhone orders to Pegatron for the next three years and Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) vise versa, the sources noted.

DigiTimes’ sources expect iPad mini shipments between eight and ten million units by the end of 2012. The firm should see some strong sales in Q1 2013 due to the iPad mini biz which in November helped Pegatron post a massive 64 percent year-on-year growth
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:36 PM   #173
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkiii View Post
I agree with your last paragraph completely. They probably made that exclusive deal because it made them the most money. Steve probably didn't see big android phone sales coming. Apple also decided after the deal was over to still charge the carriers like verizon and sprint lots of money to carry the phone. Also apple choses to keep their profit margin high so the a prepaid price is really high whereas an android phone is more affordable. Also as far as colors go, apple cannot even get enough black and white ones ready for launch how will they even get colored ones ready.
Most money, yes, but you can't forget that the smartphone market was pretty new and there wasn't a clear leader by any stretch of the imagination. Apple needed someone to get behind the iPhone 100% and that probably only happened because of exclusivity. If Apple had offered the iPhone to everyone, it would have been just another device.

As for Android's marketshare growth, who cares? Apple is one company with a few phones models yet they rake in the vast majority of the entire industry's profits. Android OEMs can give away freebies and two-for-ones until the end of time, but this is of no consequence to Apple because they are raking in the dough hand over fist.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:38 PM   #174
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
Apple is only adding one, i repeat ONE, additional larger display. Iphone is uber popular too, android has sooo many sizes thats why it experienced fragmentation and only phones made by Samsung that are popular
I believe you're the only person in the world that uses the word uber now. Let's grow up and stop pretending we're not in 2013. By the way you are typing, I'm assuming you're young. Should go out and experience the world that isn't behind a computer screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
Steve Jobs was good at making iPods... iPhones suck
Explain why the iPhone's suck? Because you just said the iPhone is "uber" popular. If it sucked, it wouldn't be "uber" popular, am I correct?

Last edited by balamw; Jan 3, 2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Quoted name calling.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #175
robbyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
yap, I agree. Use your brain.. You know Ipad mini screen is from LG and AU. Iphone 5 is from LG and Japan Display. And the IGZO display, whenever it ready to show up in future idevice is going to come from Sharp. The only constant partner in Apple manufacturing universe is Samsung for the CPU (and will now be TSMC) and Foxconn. And they bring in Pegatron so that they won't rely completely on Foxconn.

Apple runs a horizontal manufacturing operations. Apple picks and choose the partners for each devices. If their partner has production problem for one device, it won't affect another device. So tell me which supplier will gate Apple so that they cannot produce a bigger screen phone down the road? And why would Apple not seek a new partner to dance? I agree use your brain 8-)

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12...t-three-years/
First, components suppliers are not the same thing as assembly partners. Yes, Apple uses different partners for different devices and this makes sense. After all, it's not as simple as flipping a switch and now producing a different device. Foxconn had to install a bunch of special machines just to produce the iPhone 4's antenna. Each of these production lines is finely tuned to the device it produces. And given the overwhelming demand for all of Apple's devices and the fact that, cumulatively, all of their manufacturing partners are barely keeping up with that demand, your argument falls short.

I'm not saying that Apple won't make an iPhone with a bigger screen at some point. I'm just saying that, right now, there's no incentive to do so. If anything, Apple will likely enter a new market altogether before it produces iPhones with a bunch of different screen sizes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Explain why the iPhone's suck? Because you just said the iPhone is "uber" popular. If it sucked, it wouldn't be "uber" popular, am I correct?
Come on, you're asking too much of the poor guy.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If the iPhone 5s launched today in multiple screen sizes which would you pick? GBR iPhone 57 Jul 31, 2013 03:25 PM
iPhone 5S to Launch in August in Several Different Colors? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 116 Apr 13, 2013 12:06 AM
iPhone 5S to Launch in 2-3 Different Screen Sizes? MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 88 Apr 11, 2013 03:41 AM
iPhone 5S will be available in multiple colors, proof? shineaway iPhone 16 Mar 6, 2013 10:37 AM
phones: iPhone needs multiple sizes asap Rufuss Sewell Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 57 Jul 25, 2012 08:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC