Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I could see Apple doing colors if their customer research shows people are digging the iPod touch in colors or if they're getting a lot of feedback from customers that they want the iPhone to come in colors. The only way I see a wider iPhone is if their research shows enough people are leaving iPhone because the screen is too small. If Apple really felt the need to go bigger ala Android they would have done so with the 5.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Apple needs a 4.8" screen.
My 4" screen isnt cutting it, BUT I hate android.

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

Make a 4.8" or 5.5" iPhone & a 4" model. Thats it.
No need for 3.5" anymore.

You and I have such different wants in a phone - I want an iPhone Nano, have for a long time, even would consider lesser functionality, I just want smaller in devices, not larger.

Even assuming perfect compatibility an "iPhone nano" idea is idiodic. Nobody wants a smaller iPhone

Ahem, read reply above. (ironically I read your post after I'd already replied to the above)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Apple most certainly does NOT need to include themselves in the BIGGER category just because you say so. They are selling more phones than they can produce. Why should they make another phone with a bigger screen? There's no point.

To sell more phones and make more money? We don't know the rate-limiting factor within production, even if they are still supply-constrained a year from now.

A fair number of people are attracted by larger screens, I'm not going to try to quantitate but it is a factor. There IS a point, to say otherwise seems ignoring reality. The issue is how big a point it is (I'm not actually decided on this myself.)

It would be like claiming, hey the 15" MacBook Pro is THE size, other sizes are pointless! Obviously not true, even if the 15" were the bestselling model.

And yes, fragmentation is a legit concern. Look at the disaster that is Android development. Too many screen sizes to support, too much variety of hardware. It's not an advantage to developers. Apple has a very robust developer community precisely because they are focused and developers appreciate that. "Developers will adjust"...said the layperson. :rolleyes:

The way to do it would be maintain pixel resolution, with slightly smaller screen density. At 300 DPI or so, the screen would still look great, but text and everything else is a bit bigger. So there would be no fragmentation from a software side.

'Fragmentation' from a manufacturing standpoint could be an issue- there is a cost to making 2 different physical phone sizes.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
If Apple offers iPhone in multiple sizes then I will switch back to iPhone, as I can't stand for a 4" 16:9 screen after using Android devices.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's not that they can't make the same kind of margins. Their manufacturing partners are already working around the clock to produce the current iPhone models. If they add another model to the mix, they simply might not be able to meet the demand. Apple doesn't need to be all things to all people. They're incredibly successful with their current offerings. If you don't like the fact that the iPhone has a smaller screen than an S3, buy an S3. I don't think Apple is losing business because of screen size. And even if they are, so what? They're still raking in way more profit than anyone else in the mobile industry and barely meeting the iPhone demand as is.

If manufacturing capacity cannot meet demand, then that's a separate problem that needs to be addressed on its own. But it's not an argument against releasing a bigger iPhone, IF said iPhone would improve Apple profitability. Conflating these 2 issues doesn't make sense.

Because that would be like arguing that Apple doesn't need to improve the iPhone, because hey they are supply constrained!

Do you think Apple is as cavalier in discussing lost profits as you? You think they aren't trying their best to improve manufacturing to meet demand and capture as much revenue as possible?

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Of course they are considering new screen sizes. After the disappointing response to their ill-conceived and awkward "tall-skinny" iPhone 5, they HAVE to do something, and fast.

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Apple have to release a new iPhone into the mix with a larger screen - customer choice is a good thing. It's obvious that some will choose a phone on screen size. The iPhone looks claustrophobic next to larger Android devices.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]image[/url]

following up on a report last month from jeffries analyst peter misek claiming that the next-generation iphone could launch in the middle of this year with as many as 6-8 colors, topeka capital markets analyst brian white has issued a report today indicating similar information. White also believes that apple could offer the device with multiple screen sizes.white believes that the addition of multiple color choices for the ipod touch late last year was a "testing ground" for apple and that the company is now moving toward bringing similar option to the iphone, and eventually to the ipad.

As for screen size, white believes that apple may for the first time offer a brand-new model with multiple screen size options for different segments of the market.discussion of a larger screen size is particularly difficult to believe, given that apple just transitioned to a taller screen with the iphone 5, the first time apple has changed the screen size on the iphone since its launch.

In considering how apple might make the iphone's screen even larger, essentially the same set of issues debated before the launch of the iphone 5 appears: More pixels or same resolution at lower pixel density. The latter solution in particular likely offers little for apple, as the company is almost certainly uninterested in lowering pixel density simply to offer the same amount of screen real estate at a slightly larger physical size.

As for the former, apple increased only the vertical pixel count for the iphone 5, allowing for a larger screen while still offering full compatibility with apps designed for the smaller screens of previous devices. It seems difficult to believe that apple would undertake yet another increase in pixel count so soon after the iphone 5 debut, particularly if it involved increases in both vertical and horizontal directions.

Article link: next-generation iphone to launch in more colors, multiple sizes?

upgrade from a 5 for me!!!! :d

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
agree!

how is this even a discussion. when market is mature - differentiation is inevitable. look at the mp3-player. apple ruled/rules since they differentiated. they made the best shuffle, mini, touch and classic. if they continue only having an iphone classic they will fail. period.

there is little reason not to have a slim, small, not so fast 3.5" iphone nano, a slim faster 4" iphone classic and a 4.5" fastest, still slim and classy, colorful. look at the ipod nano's, the ipod touch'es. differentiation and tasteful color mix.

Apple have to release a new iPhone into the mix with a larger screen - customer choice is a good thing. It's obvious that some will choose a phone on screen size. The iPhone looks claustrophobic next to larger Android devices.

Last edited:

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
+1

if manufacturing capacity cannot meet demand, then that's a separate problem that needs to be addressed on its own. But it's not an argument against releasing a bigger iphone, if said iphone would improve apple profitability. Conflating these 2 issues doesn't make sense.

Because that would be like arguing that apple doesn't need to improve the iphone, because hey they are supply constrained!

Do you think apple is as cavalier in discussing lost profits as you? You think they aren't trying their best to improve manufacturing to meet demand and capture as much revenue as possible?

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
If manufacturing capacity cannot meet demand, then that's a separate problem that needs to be addressed on its own. But it's not an argument against releasing a bigger iPhone, IF said iPhone would improve Apple profitability. Conflating these 2 issues doesn't make sense.

Because that would be like arguing that Apple doesn't need to improve the iPhone, because hey they are supply constrained!

Do you think Apple is as cavalier in discussing lost profits as you? You think they aren't trying their best to improve manufacturing to meet demand and capture as much revenue as possible?

I don't think Apple has any problem with profitability at the moment. And of course I think they're doing everything to meet demand. The point is, if they can't meet demand today and they introduce another model of iPhone with different manufacturing requirements (nevermind design, support, etc), they set themselves up to provide a sub-paar experience for their customers. They are strong today because they are focused.

Android phone manufacturers had to find ways to distinguish their products and screen size was an obvious one. And some people clearly want a big bulky phone in their pocket. But I'd wager that Apple has studied this issue a lot more than any of us here and has chosen the optimal screen size based on their market research. A handful of people on a tech website clamoring for a larger screen is anything but an accurate sample.

So what incentive does Apple have to produce a larger screen iPhone? They are maxed out in terms of production today. Another model would require more resources and create another set of issues in terms of support, upgrade cycles, etc. I just don't see the point when they can't even satisfy demand for the models they produce.

Of course plenty of people doubted the iPad Mini would ever see the light of day, yet here it is. And it's clearly a huge success. Still, I don't see the advantage of a larger screen on the iPhone especially if, as you suggest, it's simply a scaled up version of the current screen. That means no more screen real estate for apps, just a bigger screen for watching video. That would be the only advantage. Is watching video really that much of a deciding feature?

----------

Of course they are considering new screen sizes. After the disappointing response to their ill-conceived and awkward "tall-skinny" iPhone 5, they HAVE to do something, and fast.

Yeah, record sales is definitely what I'd call a "disappointing response." Are you that thick?

----------

And Android devices look positively bulky and unwieldy compared to a sleek, slim, lightweight iPhone. Besides, if, as madmaxmedia suggests, a bigger iPhone screen was simply a scaled version of the current screen, that means no additional screen real estate for apps, just a bigger screen for watching video. That's the only advantage. Doesn't seem worth trading slim, lightweight, comfortable to hold and easy to pocket for a slightly larger video watching screen.

Apple doesn't have to do anything. They are selling a record number of iPhones. Customers do have a choice. Buy an Android if you're so obsessed with a bigger screen. You have plenty of choices. Apple has never been about "choice" anyway. They do what they believe is right. Reminds me of how some people couldn't stop insisting that Apple needed to license MacOS and create a market for clones. There were many vocal boosters of the idea. And when they finally did it, it was a huge failure. Just because a vocal minority wants something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Last edited:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I agree with the user, the iPhone 5 is too big. And it is not a matter of not holding one. I own an iPhone 5 for a month now, and I say that my previous iPhone 3GS was much more comfortable to hold and operate with one hand than my new iPhone 5. Yes, my iPhone 5 is the best phone I've ever had, and the way it feels is unique, but it is too big.

It's a phone, it's not a tablet. Bigger is screen is better for content presentation, but it is bad for one hand usage. And not everyone has big hands.

Not everyone has small hands. Samsung offers its customer exactly what they want by having a ridiculous amount of phone models. Would it be that hard for apple to have a small larger largest approach? 4.5" is a minimum for me.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
If Apple just introduced a Black & Silver iPhone, I would be happy. For some reason (and many disagree with me) if you put the iPhone 4 next to an iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 looks like the premium device with its stainless steel.

Agreed and that's probably why Tim Cook still prefers it.

----------

Bring back the classic iPhone4S form factor, remove the home button, extend the screen downwards to accommodate the 5th app row (iPhone5), make the screen itself the home button (a depressed click)- Problem solved.

Last edited:

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
agree!

how is this even a discussion. when market is mature - differentiation is inevitable. look at the mp3-player. apple ruled/rules since they differentiated. they made the best shuffle, mini, touch and classic. if they continue only having an iphone classic they will fail. period.

there is little reason not to have a slim, small, not so fast 3.5" iphone nano, a slim faster 4" iphone classic and a 4.5" fastest, still slim and classy, colorful. look at the ipod nano's, the ipod touch'es. differentiation and tasteful color mix.

Completely agree with you here... I love Tim Cook, if Apple is still under Steve Jobs... There wont be multiple size for ipads or iphones.

What a perfect transition!

Apple products are maturing... They dont need innovator leading the company anymore. Instead, they need a good businessman who is able to reap as much profits possible

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

These do look cool. But it's impossible to do with production of so many colors. They can't keep up with 2 shades.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I don't think Apple has any problem with profitability at the moment. And of course I think they're doing everything to meet demand. The point is, if they can't meet demand today and they introduce another model of iPhone with different manufacturing requirements (nevermind design, support, etc), they set themselves up to provide a sub-paar experience for their customers. They are strong today because they are focused.

Android phone manufacturers had to find ways to distinguish their products and screen size was an obvious one. And some people clearly want a big bulky phone in their pocket. But I'd wager that Apple has studied this issue a lot more than any of us here and has chosen the optimal screen size based on their market research. A handful of people on a tech website clamoring for a larger screen is anything but an accurate sample.

So what incentive does Apple have to produce a larger screen iPhone? They are maxed out in terms of production today. Another model would require more resources and create another set of issues in terms of support, upgrade cycles, etc. I just don't see the point when they can't even satisfy demand for the models they produce.

Of course plenty of people doubted the iPad Mini would ever see the light of day, yet here it is. And it's clearly a huge success. Still, I don't see the advantage of a larger screen on the iPhone especially if, as you suggest, it's simply a scaled up version of the current screen. That means no more screen real estate for apps, just a bigger screen for watching video. That would be the only advantage. Is watching video really that much of a deciding feature?

----------

Yeah, record sales is definitely what I'd call a "disappointing response." Are you that thick?

----------

And Android devices look positively bulky and unwieldy compared to a sleek, slim, lightweight iPhone. Besides, if, as madmaxmedia suggests, a bigger iPhone screen was simply a scaled version of the current screen, that means no additional screen real estate for apps, just a bigger screen for watching video. That's the only advantage. Doesn't seem worth trading slim, lightweight, comfortable to hold and easy to pocket for a slightly larger video watching screen.

Apple doesn't have to do anything. They are selling a record number of iPhones. Customers do have a choice. Buy an Android if you're so obsessed with a bigger screen. You have plenty of choices. Apple has never been about "choice" anyway. They do what they believe is right. Reminds me of how some people couldn't stop insisting that Apple needed to license MacOS and create a market for clones. There were many vocal boosters of the idea. And when they finally did it, it was a huge failure. Just because a vocal minority wants something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Apple has no problem with profitability? Lol non-sense. Analysts and investors always expect/pressure Apple to increase its profits year after year. If you're the CEO, and u blamed maxed out production capacity as ur only reason for not being able to increase revenues/profits, then u definitely will get fired in no time and ridiculed as the stupidest CEO ever.

http://classic.cnbc.com/id/100346348

Tanguyvd

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
There doesn't seem to be much point putting out iPhones in multiple colors since so many people put cases on them.

you are all getting it wrong:

Apple is actually surrounding it's iPhone with pixels on every side, edge-to-edge, PixelAntenna (R), ColorCable (tm), and EarPixel. So now, your iPhone will be completely matching the artwork of the song that's playing. You won't be putting this one in a case, now would you?

Edit: Rumor has it that with the newly designed EarTime Camera, your iPhone will be camouflaged by mimicking the colors of your skin and clothes and display that.

:eek:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Yeah, I can't see them going any bigger than 4" in the near future. The adverts were pretty adamant that Apple had found the perfect size and they were a clear dig at companies such as Samsung releasing phones in ridiculous sizes.

Uhh .. So did when 3.5" WAS considered a perfect size for a phone. Apple would do just almost anything to make the new size suddenly feels right.

You know, just like a 7.8" iPad suddenly fits the best. Hypocrisy at its finest :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.