Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
This question is to AMEX users.

Is an iphone bought on contract (AT&T) eligible for purchase protection?

Im looking to take my iphone 5 instead of my beat up 4 when i go to Europe next week. I was curious though, if my iphone becomes damaged over there from a drop or bump (NOT STOLEN), when i get back into the states and get a replacement from Apple for 229, will AMEX reimburse me?

It says i have 90 days from purchase and up to 1,000 per occurrence. Just curious if my iphone would be covered under this protection.

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007

Im looking to take my iphone 5 instead of my beat up 4 when i go to Europe next week. I was curious though, if my iphone becomes damaged over there from a drop or bump (NOT STOLEN), when i get back into the states and get a replacement from Apple for 229, will AMEX reimburse me?

It says i have 90 days from purchase and up to 1,000 per occurrence. Just curious if my iphone would be covered under this protection.

I believe you contact amex first.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

They reimburse up to what you paid for the phone. If you got the 32gb for 299 then yes, if you got the 16gb for 199, you get 199 and you need to pay the difference.

At least that was my experience with warranties in general thus far.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Just a note: You need the original receipt. This is required for all their purchase protection/warranty/etc benefits.

Not necessarily. I've been reimbursed without having to send in the original receipt (although it wasn't for an iPhone). They may or may not ask for it.

Visa/Mastercard, on the other hand, are stricter on this. Someone I know went through the process with them and he had to fill out a mountain of paperwork, making it seem like they're trying to discourage claims by making it as difficult as possible. Fortunately, AmEx isn't like this.

Either way, requiring the original receipt makes no sense as they already have proof of your purchase. It's like going to the bank to get some money and they ask for your deposit receipt ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes they do, you need the receipt and they need to be contacted first. They will walk you through the rest of the process. (as others have said).

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Either way, requiring the original receipt makes no sense as they already have proof of your purchase. It's like going to the bank to get some money and they ask for your deposit receipt ;)

The purchase could be for 10 items. They only see the complete purchase, not what individual items cost. The receipt proves the item in the claim cost X amount. They have no ability to tell this without a receipt.

EDIT: They also couldn't say that the item was even in the purchase you claim it was on without a receipt. The receipt proves an item is covered.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The purchase could be for 10 items. They only see the complete purchase, not what individual items cost. The receipt proves the item in the claim cost X amount. They have no ability to tell this without a receipt.

EDIT: They also couldn't say that the item was even in the purchase you claim it was on without a receipt. The receipt proves an item is covered.

Not always. Some businesses do communicate the items purchased to them and they get reflected on your AmEx bill. Office Depot being one of them.

Yes, you should save the original receipt just in case, but they may or may not actually ask for it.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Dont you have to send the damaged product to AMEX to get the credit back to your account?

If AMEX were to credit the $199 back to you, thats not enough to purchase a new iPhone outright

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Dont you have to send the damaged product to AMEX to get the credit back to your account?

If AMEX were to credit the $199 back to you, thats not enough to purchase a new iPhone outright

As with the original receipt, they may or may not ask for the damaged product back. They didn't when I filed my claim.

They will only reimburse you up to what you paid for it. A replacement iPhone through the Apple store is $229 (I think) so you'll have to cough up the difference. In that case, you can tell them you got it swapped for $229 and they'll reimburse you $199 on the following month's statement.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
As with the original receipt, they may or may not ask for the damaged product back. They didn't when I filed my claim.

They will only reimburse you up to what you paid for it. A replacement iPhone through the Apple store is $229 (I think) so you'll have to cough up the difference. In that case, you can tell them you got it swapped for $229 and they'll reimburse you $199 on the following month's statement.

Wouldnt they be unable to ask for the phone back because you'll actually be giving it to apple?

But anyways, would Amex reimburse you for the amount you payed +tax or just the amount beofre taxes. So in my case, 212?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wouldnt they be unable to ask for the phone back because you'll actually be giving it to apple?

But anyways, would Amex reimburse you for the amount you payed +tax or just the amount beofre taxes. So in my case, 212?

They won't ask for it back because you'll tell them the Apple store swapped it out (effectively "repairing" it). The purchase protection also covers the cost of repairing up to the purchase price and it's not limited to replacing the product.

They'll reimburse you the tax paid as well.

bluesxtreme

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
When my Iphone 3g was cracked they reimbursed me the purchase price no problems. You will need to upload corresponding paperwork.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
False, it's only not covered if you're using it at your place of employment b/c then it could be deemed a business item on a personal card. Read the language again.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
I was not trying to say that it wasn't, that is why I said I wanted to call them so they could tell me exactly what the deal was, my comment was based on what that PDF says under "Limitations and Products not Covered".

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Cell phones aren't excluded even in the UK.

From link:

Excluded Products*, (including by not limited to)

Computer (including notebook and other portable computing devices)
Printer
Plasma TV
Modem
MP3 Players
Monitors
PDAs

On the other hand, "mobile phone" is listed as one of the covered appliances.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Check the conditions of the protection plan. I have an AMEX Platinum here and we have a protection plan. One day I tried to put a claim because some items I bought thru Amazon.com were stolen. They told me that they only accepts claims of Card Present transactions, this mean, no MO/TO or internet purchases.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Check the conditions of the protection plan. I have an AMEX Platinum here and we have a protection plan. One day I tried to put a claim because some items I bought thru Amazon.com were stolen. They told me that they only accepts claims of Card Present transactions, this mean, no MO/TO or internet purchases.

Maybe in Peru but I don't think we have that in the United States.

batguanoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
My wife bought a refurbished iPhone 4S on Black Friday for $0.99, and lost it over Christmas. Filed a claim with Amex, and they paid $1. Nothing like what it would cost to replace it. So don't expect Amex to protect your purchase.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
My wife bought a refurbished iPhone 4S on Black Friday for $0.99, and lost it over Christmas. Filed a claim with Amex, and they paid $1. Nothing like what it would cost to replace it. So don't expect Amex to protect your purchase.

They protect your purchase - it isn't their fault you paid a subsidized price. They've covered me on many items without issue - just make sure you have the receipt and they'll cover what is shown on the receipt as paid.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Certainly you didn't expect them to pay back more than what you paid for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.