Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I have come from a windows PC to a new iMac, some of my video files will not play on the mac (avi, wma etc) so will need converting to MP4. What software can be recommended for this?

I have had a look in the Mac App Store and have seen a handful of video converters, please can some users advise which is best for the job?

Thanks.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would agree with those above. I use Handbrake for ripping and iFlicks for metadata and cover art.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Im interested in learning more on iFlicks. I see the latest update has prompted some negative reviews on the App Store.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Im interested in learning more on iFlicks. I see the latest update has prompted some negative reviews on the App Store.

What would you like to know? I haven't seen any problems with the latest update. Download the trial that should give you a good idea of what the software is capable of doing.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Handrake (frequently recommended in other threads as well).

I'd also recommend trying VLC first.

I agree, best to check if VLC can handle your files, also look into flip4mac (I think that is the name) and Perian. These relate to simple playback of files "as is."

If having the best sound or image is important and you want to convert your files, make sure not to add additional compression in the process.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Sorry to hijack your thread Darren

What would you like to know? I haven't seen any problems with the latest update. Download the trial that should give you a good idea of what the software is capable of doing.

Everything i Guess! :eek: Ive just downloaded the free trial:).

So I draged an mp4 film into iflicks and saw that it created some artwork that matched the film, and Ive managed to get iFLicks to put the film onto iTunes.

So am I right in thinking that iflicks has now added lots of metadata to this file? Is there more that iflicks does that I dont know yet?

Last edited:

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK

No problem at all.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, I decided on Smart Converter in the end from the Mac App Store. Just something simple.

Been using it today and very happy with it. It does just the simple converting that I need it to do and the conversions are quick with good quality results.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012

I like Adapter. :)

----------

I have come from a windows PC to a new iMac, some of my video files will not play on the mac (avi, wma etc) so will need converting to MP4. What software can be recommended for this?

I have had a look in the Mac App Store and have seen a handful of video converters, please can some users advise which is best for the job?

Thanks.

Use VLC on your Mac to play AVI, WMA etc.

Otherwise use Adapter.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

Everything i Guess! :eek: Ive just downloaded the free trial:).

So I draged an mp4 film into iflicks and saw that it created some artwork that matched the film, and Ive managed to get iFLicks to put the film onto iTunes.

So am I right in thinking that iflicks has now added lots of metadata to this file? Is there more that iflicks does that I dont know yet?

It will also convert all your video files that aren't mp4. MKV files are a pain. I have now setup automator to check a specific folder for video files and send them to iFlicks to be converted. iFlicks adds most of the metadata but not always. It's good pratice to double check it.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks AppleDApp. Im enjoying using this app:)

iflicks has failed to find any artwork for one of my films, is there anything I can do to prompt it to find it please?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks AppleDApp. Im enjoying using this app:)

iflicks has failed to find any artwork for one of my films, is there anything I can do to prompt it to find it please?

I haven't found a way to do so. I usually go over every movie I import to assure that it is properly tagged.

Does anyone know of a way to get the appropriate metadata for video or audio files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.