Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Uhh .. So did when 3.5" WAS considered a perfect size for a phone. Apple would do just almost anything to make the new size suddenly feels right.

You know, just like a 7.8" iPad suddenly fits the best. Hypocrisy at its finest :rolleyes:

Why didn't Apple make the iPhone 5 bigger then? The competition has had bigger phones for a while now. What was stopping them from making the iPhone 5 as big as the Lumia 920 or One X?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
ill take a 5 inch 1080p screen please. i love ios but i hate the tiny screen. I always reach for my note ii for anything web related

apple.net

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Apple, be cool, but don't be arrogant. I will switch to Galaxy if next iPhone's screen < 4.5".

apple.net

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
When Apple has unsold iPhones lying around and their manufacturing partners are busy trying to find other devices to produce to keep their assembly lines running, I'll concede that you and others here have a point. However, that day is not today. And it doesn't look like it's coming anytime in the foreseeable future.

For sure you are not qualified for Apple CEO position.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Do you think the upcoming PowerVR 6 will be implanted in the iPhone 6 ?

PowerVR Series 6 mobile GPUs are almost here, we go eyes-on with a test chip (video)

Imagination Technologies is on a high right now. Throughout 2012, the company's PowerVR graphics processors continued to monopolize the iPhone and iPad as well as appearing in (late 2011) Android flagships, the PlayStation Vita and even the first Clover Trail-powered Windows 8 tablets. But you know what? That's old news, because all those devices run current-gen PowerVR Series 5 silicon. Most new top-end devices in 2013 and 2014 will either contain the latest Mali GPUs from rival ARM, or they'll pack PowerVR Series 6, aka Rogue. This latter chip is currently being developed by at least eight different smartphone and tablet manufacturers and is expected to make a good bit of noise at CES next week.
But who's going to wait that long if they don't absolutely have to? To get a fuller understanding of what awaits us in the coming weeks and months, we scoped out a Rogue test chip at Imagination's sparkly new HQ just outside of London, UK. The test silicon doesn't represent the true power of Series 6 because it's running on an FPGA board that severely limits its bandwidth, but it's still able to show off one crucial advantage: namely the ability to run OpenGL ES 3.0 games and apps. This API is all about improving mobile graphics through making smarter use of GPU compute, without annoying the battery, and the three exclusive demos after the break show just how it pulls that off.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/powervr-series-6-test-chip/

Video:
http://www.viddler.com/v/cd62cde

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
This color issue has come up in the past. The only reason I believe it now is because the colored iPods that came out. I believe they only came out like that because Steve is gone. I think he was against it. Wasn't there tension with colors between Steve and Jony Ive? I think its a waste of money myself but we'll see.

I also believe the iPod Touch has colors now because Steve is gone... the iPod Touch will be the only Apple product to be overstocked at stores around the country in the mid/long-term.

I think this was initiated by the board, and has more to do with stock value & shareholder interest that Tim Cook is/was trying to spark when introducing the colors. Of course, Jony Ive has direct responsibilities for the launch of colors heading the Design team, but he was only allowed because Tim gave him the 'ok' that Steve never would on their high end MP3 player, the iPod Touch. Tim is an amazing Operations Manager and that assuredly is his niche, but this will backfire, and you will for the first time - see an Apple product collecting dust on shelves.

It may have been good for the market at the time, but it will make the iPod Touch lose perceived value down the road... SJ would never allow for this to be an initiative in the first place.

There is and will only be one Steve Jobs.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Black and silver for me, but I doubt that'll happen, at least with the next gen.

I'd buy a 3.5" iPhone 5S in a heartbeat - I don't like having to stretch my thumb to hit top-left back buttons.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Black and silver for me, but I doubt that'll happen, at least with the next gen.

I'd buy a 3.5" iPhone 5S in a heartbeat - I don't like having to stretch my thumb to hit top-left back buttons.

-.-" mann.. iPhone 3.5" is too small seriously. Apple only need 2 line-ups for the iphone, 4-inch and 5-inch. Its because of that tiny 3.5" that iPhone got known as not suitable for doing actual work, and that it's just a toy

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
uhh .. So did when 3.5" was considered a perfect size for a phone. Apple would do just almost anything to make the new size suddenly feels right.

You know, just like a 7.8" ipad suddenly fits the best. Hypocrisy at its finest :rolleyes:

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
For sure you are not qualified for Apple CEO position.

Haha. Like ANYONE here is even remotely qualified for such a position. You can't even write proper sentences. Apple had a chance to offer a larger screen when the iPhone 5 came out. They chose not to go wider. It's highly unlikely that they're going to now offer yet another size. Get over it.

----------

-.-" mann.. iPhone 3.5" is too small seriously. Apple only need 2 line-ups for the iphone, 4-inch and 5-inch. Its because of that tiny 3.5" that iPhone got known as not suitable for doing actual work, and that it's just a toy

Yeah, all the businesses buying iPhones in droves are buying them because they're toys, right? Only size queens like you think of the iPhone as a toy.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I hope this is true. Apple has to start offering larger sizes to stay competitive.

Apple does. It's called an iPad Mini. Admittedly you look stupid holding one to your ear to make a phone call, but only a little but more stupid than with one of those Samsung monstrosities.

Why didn't Apple make the iPhone 5 bigger then? The competition has had bigger phones for a while now. What was stopping them from making the iPhone 5 as big as the Lumia 920 or One X?

Taste.

Apple has no problem with profitability? Lol non-sense. Analysts and investors always expect/pressure Apple to increase its profits year after year. If you're the CEO, and u blamed maxed out production capacity as ur only reason for not being able to increase revenues/profits, then u definitely will get fired in no time and ridiculed as the stupidest CEO ever.

Apple doesn't give a **** about analysts and about the opinions of investors. Never has done. And they have a very simple argument that would shut up any stupid analysts if you could ever shut them up: Growth in profits over the last 12 years. All achieved by constantly doing the exact opposite of what analysts wanted Apple to do.

Last edited:

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

Nothing, other than the market for bigger screen smartphone did not get firmed up until Samsung sold 20M unit of S3 in 3Q12. Apple has this corporate mentality that they know what is better for the users. It works out great in the innovation phase of a product. But smartphones have been around for several years now. Choice of color, size, look, weight, brand etc. etc will become as important as, if not more than, the technical features. And it take at least a year + cycle to get a smartphone from idea to customer's hands.. It is a case that Apple did not see the advantage of big screen early enough.

Cvadh387

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
California
I would be totally excited if they offered more colors for the iPhone. I think I'd either get a pink/purple one (if it came out with that color) or just stick to the white/silver one. Two screen size options would be nice too, although I'd probably get the 4" size. I'd like the bigger screen size and I think 4" would be perfect. I wouldn't have a problem with the whole one-handed thing because I tend to hold phones with both hands anyway.

tuyylihk

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Sounds good.
But I would like to have a replaceable shell more.
It should be more flexible.

ok. I know Apple dislike peoples opening their device physically.
This is just an idea.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK

Really? I seem to recall it sold well enough. Also, there's the fact that I owned two of them, so I don't need you to tell me how useful it is.

msonic77

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Originally posted by dronstd

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

I'd do the same thing . New Lumia looks good. By the way it's Apples designed shape - trade out for those multimillion cases lost in court in favour of Nokia( just my strong clue ). Just compare iPod mini and Lumia - so obvious.

Last edited:

npro1464

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Multiple sizes for iPhones that would satisfy everyone's tastes? What a concept! I've been saying it for a while- have a family of iPhones for everyone. They need to do something to compete with the growing size of Android phones. A few friends of mine 3GS's looking to upgrade were impressed with the way my Galaxy SIII looked and felt and either upgraded to it or are considering it over the iPhone for their next phone.

"But they could never do that bc of the aspect ratio and the developers will freak and bc my fingers are too little to reach the screen on its own, maaaaan!!" :rolleyes:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.

Really, just like those who thought the 3.5" would be and Apple will never make a larger screen?

In order to stay competitive, they will need to make it larger or wider eventually, but I am guessing and hoping they do not surpass 4.5"

I had the Sam SGIII and the 4.8 was too darn big

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The amount of posts in here arguing against Apple giving consumers choices is frightening.

No more colors! The excuse is that it will create more trouble for Apple and it's outlets. Why do you care what kind of trouble a billion dollar company has? You know Apple can pull it off. They will still make billions and you'll have more choices

No more screen sizes! The age old excuse here is fragmentation. Why does the consumer care about fragmentation? I certainly don't. Why do you care if a billion dollar company has more trouble keeping things running smooth? Again, you know Apple can pull it off. They will still make billions and you'll have more choices

Now if you argue that these 'choices' will dilute the glamor appeal of the iPhone and you won't feel so special carrying it, well, you're at least being honest with yourself instead of sticking up for a company that doesn't care 2 cents about you personally.

Anyway, to add to the conversation: We won't see any new screen sizes until (if ever) 2014. Colors, maybe. Apple (i.e. it's contractors) has the color anodization process down with the iPods, so it's really a no brainer. As long as they harden the aluminum up.

There just isn't a damn thing wrong with choices.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Look, this is just cover for some massive price hikes.

What apple will do is offer a gazillion loud crazy colors that only teenagers and wannabe low income folks want. They will price those cheap. You want basic black whit, or silver? Well now the price for those phone will be jacked up from what it is today. Meanwhile Apple will play the con game of marketing the product "starting for as little as..."...xyz (for a colour that any serious employed person would never touch with a ten foot pole)

Totally freakin' obvious. And it will happen.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.

Although I'd like to think that, I'm not sure it's true. Apple's SDK now includes display scaling options (similar to Android) that's not the same thing as making an app "universal". It seems like Apple is prepping for a variety of screen sizes on the developer level.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
This is why i hate 3.5-inch iPhone... Blackberry fans ridicule the small display a lot... i.e. one poster commented: "That iPhone looks small and old.... and out dated."

verizon-blackberry-z10.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.