Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
NattyE
macrumors member

Now we're into 2013, is it worth buying a 2012 MBP?

It will be my first Apple computer, I just don't want to buy one if a new one is just around the corner...
NattyE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyE View Post
It will be my first Apple computer, I just don't want to buy one if a new one is just around the corner...
I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
Exactly.

If you need a computer, buy it - and buy the best you can afford at that time, something which will serve to fill your computing needs and possibly, also serve to future-proof it, to some extent. If, however, you merely want a computer, that's different, and you can afford to wait.

However, to try to second guess what the 'the next update' will bring is counter-productive and will probably just frustrate you. This is because the nature of technological evolution means that there is always going to be a 'nest update' which will make whatever computer you have seem outdated, irrespective of when you bought it.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
jfriedman8
macrumors regular

Definitely buy if you need. You can always go refurb too.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.4 i7 256GB 8GB
2013 Macbook Air
iPad Mini: 32 GB Black - iPhone 5: 32GB Black
jfriedman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

there is always another generation of chips coming....
Latest speculation for Intel on Haswell is Q2/Q3 2013. It could be may, it could be october.

If the current one fits your needs and you need/want one buy one.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:31 PM   #6
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

i bought my 15 inch 2 months ago and i dont see it being outdated anytime soon im getitng so much use out of this baby i freaking love it it serves me so well all this time im wondering how i had windows for so damn long
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 AM   #7
elpmas
macrumors 68000

Honestly, I don't see it being refreshed for another 5 to 6 months...so if you can wait that long, go for it. If not, buy one that will suit you until then, then sell it off to buy a new one. Losing out a few bucks, but it's worth it if you need it.
iPhone 5 32gb
elpmas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:21 AM   #8
NattyE
macrumors member

Wow that was a fairly uniform response! Thanks guys

I spoke with my Uncle last night who develops for Apple and he reckons the next "upgrade" will be incremental with big changes coming in 2014. So I think I will buy one with no regrets knowing this.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:42 AM   #9
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

... with one expectation. Never ever try to future proof an electronic device by upgrades you do not need (processor bump and biggest ssd). Its simply not worth the money.
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Fed
macrumors 6502

Assuming you're after the non-Retina model, I'd say buy now. If anything, an update will bring a slightly better GFX card and processor bump. For most people, the difference will be negligible. Speaking as someone with a 13" MBP from 2012, after putting in an SSD and some more RAM - the thing is literally flying. And that's with just two cores. Imagine what it would be like with 4...
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I'm guessing that by 2014 all the Macbooks will be retina. Maybe even SSD only.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:05 AM   #12
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Assuming you're after the non-Retina model, I'd say buy now. .
...because there may not be another Non-Retina model after the 2013 update.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:17 AM   #13
designs216
macrumors 65816

I just bought the classic refurb and have been very pleased with it. If you can wait, then the prices of the refurbs may drop a bit more after the refresh. If you need it now, it is an awesome machine -- buy it with no regrets.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:25 AM   #14
NattyE
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Assuming you're after the non-Retina model, I'd say buy now. If anything, an update will bring a slightly better GFX card and processor bump. For most people, the difference will be negligible. Speaking as someone with a 13" MBP from 2012, after putting in an SSD and some more RAM - the thing is literally flying. And that's with just two cores. Imagine what it would be like with 4...
Yer I was thinking I might put some extra RAM in it after a little while and it is the non-Retina model I am after, I can't do without a disc drive just yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
I just bought the classic refurb and have been very pleased with it. If you can wait, then the prices of the refurbs may drop a bit more after the refresh. If you need it now, it is an awesome machine -- buy it with no regrets.
I will have educational discount when I start my new job (I hope) as I will be doing a master degree part time so refurbs aren't too much of an issue to get the price down.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:49 AM   #15
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
... with one expectation. Never ever try to future proof an electronic device by upgrades you do not need (processor bump and biggest ssd). Its simply not worth the money.
Hmm not sure I'd agree on that. For desktops, maybe, as parts are user serviceable. It of course depends on the type of upgrade on offer and what a person needs the computer for.

Laptops (ignoring the newer Retina MBP's) have two thing that's soldered on, the CPU and Graphics Card. The memory and hard disk are generally user-serviceable and much cheaper to upgrade post purchase and can expand with time.

I bought the best CPU and Graphics combination I could for my MBP in 2009, and upgraded the memory and HDD along the way myself and it's still running like a champ. The Retina MBP's complicate matters, being that basically nothing is -easily- upgradable.
MagicWok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:43 PM   #16
dacreativeguy
macrumors 65816

Try to buy an Apple refurb. If you get the same 2012 model for a cheaper price, it will lessen the blow of the inevitable new models.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice