Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hi,

been looking around for an app that I can use to edit/create MS Office files and would like to ask if anyone has any recommendations before I take the plunge and spend cash on something that turns out to be rubbish!!

I'd like to be able to sync with dropbox so I can share documents between devices but other than that I don't need any special functionality that I can think of

a couple of ones I've found

Quick office Pro (£13.99)
Documents to Go (£11.99)
Documents 2 Unlimited (£2.99)
Smart Office 2 (£6.99)
Office 2 HD (£5.49)

thanks for your help

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Pages/Numbers

Seems to work the easiest. Can open documents out of Dropbox into it, and send them right back after editing.

Of the third party ones, I would look hard at QuickOffice. Google bought them, and seems to be pushing it for better Google Drive integration. Even though Google Drive itself has document and spreadsheet editing already.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Polaris Office is doing a good job; it also run in limits with complex files in EXCEL or PPT but did well in our internal company comparison.

I hardly ever need to convert PPT into PDF for reading on iPad. Also sheets with many formular get done well.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
thanks all, I know 'best' is a subjective thing as we all have our favourites, but I have some ideas for things to look at. They are generally a lot of cash though and I don't want to regret spending the money and then having to spend more to get an alternative that actually works

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
thanks all, I know 'best' is a subjective thing as we all have our favourites, but I have some ideas for things to look at. They are generally a lot of cash though and I don't want to regret spending the money and then having to spend more to get an alternative that actually works

Smart Office 2 probably isn't the best - but it does go free from time to time if you're patient enough.

S

syd430

Documents To Go for best MS office compatibility out the lot (expect for CloudOn, though this is a cloud solution).

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
cloud on is excellent...apart from needing to be online...why can't you simply just create a document locally????

however, the solution I've found is to open an email I sent myself with a blank spreadsheet in it and then edit it...don't need to be connected then

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
I just purchased an iPad, and would like to purchase an MS Office compatible app for it. Is there one the will allow me to import and use templates I have created in Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.