Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
zooby
macrumors 6502

Can I store / upload files to an Apple TV?

On the new Apple TV, can you store or upload files from my computer to it? I ask this because my aunt has many music videos/youtube videos stored on it (as flv/.vob files), yet it is an older Apple TV. I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college.

Can this be done with the new Apple TV or does it have to be jailbroken or something of the sort? Is the hard drive space enough for a variety of videos?

Thanks!
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:19 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

There is no hard drive in the newer Apple TV; only 8GB soldered Flash.
To my knowledge no JB available.
Any you can only stream; the system will cache files (e.g. Rented movies) but as user you can't manage that.

Edit: I was too slow ...

Other idea: get a used iPad 2 or 3 and connect it via HDMI to TV ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Jan 4, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).
So is it better if I get an older Apple TV 1 or no use in it?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
.... I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college
If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Does it need to be Apple ? did you looked for alternatives like Roku or Western digital (http://m.wdc.com/en/product/570 ) ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)
You can stream all of your iTunes content to the Apple TV2 or 3. Movies, music, pictures etc. Just turn on homesharing in itunes.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #9
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Exit34
macrumors newbie

sounds like OP is now mad
Exit34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.
I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit34 View Post
sounds like OP is now mad
Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

As others said above, it has no hard drive so for what you want to do, it's not possible. You pretty much need either a computer or be able to know how to stream iTunes purchases down from iCloud. So it seems the only options are to teach your mother how to use it or just keep with the original Apple TV.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #13
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).

Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day.
Purchased items (Movies, TV, Music, etc) stream over the cloud. No Macbook needed. YouTube has a favorites area too. Thats what I was saying is easy.

But yes. If she doesn't have internet, apple TV isn't the best solution. Western Digital is super easy to plug a thumbdrive into.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater