Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
zooby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Can I store / upload files to an Apple TV?

On the new Apple TV, can you store or upload files from my computer to it? I ask this because my aunt has many music videos/youtube videos stored on it (as flv/.vob files), yet it is an older Apple TV. I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college.

Can this be done with the new Apple TV or does it have to be jailbroken or something of the sort? Is the hard drive space enough for a variety of videos?

Thanks!
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:19 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
There is no hard drive in the newer Apple TV; only 8GB soldered Flash.
To my knowledge no JB available.
Any you can only stream; the system will cache files (e.g. Rented movies) but as user you can't manage that.

Edit: I was too slow ...

Other idea: get a used iPad 2 or 3 and connect it via HDMI to TV ...
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Jan 4, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).
So is it better if I get an older Apple TV 1 or no use in it?
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
.... I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college
If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Does it need to be Apple ? did you looked for alternatives like Roku or Western digital (http://m.wdc.com/en/product/570 ) ?
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000
 
JRoDDz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)
You can stream all of your iTunes content to the Apple TV2 or 3. Movies, music, pictures etc. Just turn on homesharing in itunes.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #9
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)
I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Exit34
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
sounds like OP is now mad
Exit34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.
I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit34 View Post
sounds like OP is now mad
Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day.
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
As others said above, it has no hard drive so for what you want to do, it's not possible. You pretty much need either a computer or be able to know how to stream iTunes purchases down from iCloud. So it seems the only options are to teach your mother how to use it or just keep with the original Apple TV.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #13
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).



Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day.
Purchased items (Movies, TV, Music, etc) stream over the cloud. No Macbook needed. YouTube has a favorites area too. Thats what I was saying is easy.

But yes. If she doesn't have internet, apple TV isn't the best solution. Western Digital is super easy to plug a thumbdrive into.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't browse to upload files onto the Internet pmp4 OS X 3 Mar 6, 2014 08:28 AM
Could Someone Upload Their Scurve Files? Goftrey PowerPC Macs 2 Sep 26, 2013 11:22 AM
Dropbox Camera Upload - too many files BlueIS3 Mac Basics and Help 1 Mar 11, 2013 06:11 AM
Remote upload of files knightmese Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 0 Jun 4, 2012 05:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC