Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
gkarris
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Verizon Rep - "No such thing as a free iPhone"

My friends were eligible for an upgrade so they went to Verizon to get the iPhone 4 (they want to go back from trying out Android) and the rep said there's no such "Free iPhone" with a contract.

She ended up with some sort of Samsung phone as those are free.

He wants to wait to see what the real deal is - is the rep scamming them?
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a
 
Dave.UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
My friends were eligible for an upgrade so they went to Verizon to get the iPhone 4 (they want to go back from trying out Android) and the rep said there's no such "Free iPhone" with a contract.

She ended up with some sort of Samsung phone as those are free.

He wants to wait to see what the real deal is - is the rep scamming them?
Yes.
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yes they lied or deliberately mislead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	388017  
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I would say mid lead. VZW is known for this because 1. It isn't an LTE phone and 2. They don't get a lot of money from apple
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
C DM
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Perhaps the representative was (mistakingly) thinking that it was all still in reference to iPhone 5.

Also, was this a corporate Verizon store or some reseller?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Perhaps the representative was (mistakingly) thinking that it was all still in reference to iPhone 5.

Also, was this a corporate Verizon store or some reseller?
Excellent question, because a reseller does not have to always follow the corporate rules about free phones, and sometimes Verizon only makes those phones free for corporate stores or online purchases.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
gkarris
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
They are current Verizon users but are eligible for an upgrade (contract is up).
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
They are current Verizon users but are eligible for an upgrade (contract is up).
What store did they go to? In other words, a verizon corporate store, an independent verizon store, best buy, Radio Shack, etc?
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #9
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
they still have time to take that phone back and get the phone they want. Personally I would pay a more for an LTE android than a 3G iPhone on verizon as their 3G network is slowwwwwwwwwwww
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #10
gkarris
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
What store did they go to? In other words, a verizon corporate store, an independent verizon store, best buy, Radio Shack, etc?
Well, it said "Verizon" on the sign - will ask them tomorrow...
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Well, it said "Verizon" on the sign - will ask them tomorrow...
Unfortunately, a lot of those stores with Verizon logos on them are independent vendors. One way to know for sure is to go to the verizon website and put in your zip code. It will tell you where their corporate stores are located.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ator/index.jsp
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:48 PM   #12
gkarris
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of those stores with Verizon logos on them are independent vendors. One way to know for sure is to go to the verizon website and put in your zip code. It will tell you where their corporate stores are located.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ator/index.jsp
Did this - it is a Verizon store - any other Verizon user go into the store to renew and got a free iPhone 4 to renew their contract?
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:53 PM   #13
irod87
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
They should take it back. Rep was clearly trying to sell a non Apple product. Probably for a bigger commission off the sale.
irod87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by irod87 View Post
They should take it back. Rep was clearly trying to sell a non Apple product. Probably for a bigger commission off the sale.
Agreed. I would take it back and then buy from a different store.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Nyy8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
Why not just buy one online? That way you know you are getting the right price
__________________
iPad 2 16GB, iPhone 5S Space Grey 16GB,
iMac 21.5 inch, 2.5 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
Nyy8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:12 PM   #16
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
You have 2 weeks to return it to Verizon, no questions asked. Print up the free iphone 4 from website. Demand to talk to manager. Tell him/her about your situation and how you were lied to. You will get your iphone 4 with some freebies thrown in. If they refuse to budge, give them the phone back, get your update credit back, and then tell them you are calling corporate headquarters. Make sure you get their names.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #17
aneftp
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Just buy it online from apple directly. Remember if at verizon u return/exchange they will charge u a restocking fee about $35.

Apple has no questions ask. No restocking fee. Just remember to return/exchange within 14 days. Simple. Done. Order online u can still return in physical apple store if u choose.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:20 PM   #18
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
It's not free in the sense that you're locked into an awful 2 year contract with VZW. But you shouldn't have to pay anything up front for an iPhone 4 in a contract as far as I know. Return your Android phone and get your iPhone 4 some place else (although, at this point, I would suggest just dishing out the $100.00 for an iPhone 4S).
__________________
iPad 4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 7.0
iMac G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:23 PM   #19
aneftp
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
It's not free in the sense that you're locked into an awful 2 year contract with VZW. But you shouldn't have to pay anything up front for an iPhone 4 in a contract as far as I know. Return your Android phone and get your iPhone 4 some place else (although, at this point, I would suggest just dishing out the $100.00 for an iPhone 4S).
Actually the 4S is probably the better buy at Best Buy these days. $50 off promo still running. So 4S will cost u $50 on new 2 year contract. 16Gb, duo core better camera for only $50 on contract at best buy.

No brainer compared to the "free" iPhone 4 which is 2.5 years old in terms of tech while the iPhone 4S is 15 months old and should last u the next 20 months before u are due for next upgrade.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:41 PM   #20
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Republic City, URN.
There have been numerous stories of Verizon trying to push people into buying non0iPhones since they get a higher commission off them or something.

The only bad part is that now they'll probably get hit with a restocking fee if they return that Samsung.
__________________
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:43 PM   #21
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816
 
SilentLoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
There have been numerous stories of Verizon trying to push people into buying non0iPhones since they get a higher commission off them or something.

The only bad part is that now they'll probably get hit with a restocking fee if they return that Samsung.
Not if they complain loud enough
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:16 PM   #22
KdParker
macrumors 68020
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
There have been numerous stories of Verizon trying to push people into buying non0iPhones since they get a higher commission off them or something.

The only bad part is that now they'll probably get hit with a restocking fee if they return that Samsung.
This has been going on forever at Verizon stores. I have found it is better to go online and get what you want instead of trusting the sales reps. They are always trying to push other phones.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:22 PM   #23
gkarris
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Thanks -I told here - at least her Husband has held off to see what's going on...
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:41 PM   #24
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
It's not free because of the upgrade fee. The phone is 0.00 but the transaction costs you 30 plus tax so he wasn't lying.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #25
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulla01 View Post
It's not free because of the upgrade fee. The phone is 0.00 but the transaction costs you 30 plus tax so he wasn't lying.
Yes he was ( or at least trying to mislead), they were told there were no free iPhones but there were free Android phones. So unless the android phone waived the activation fee it would not have been "free" either.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC