Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #101
doelcm82
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy1970 View Post
It's too crowded with people looking for the famous people or famous people who think they are too important.
I suspect the famous people think they're important because of the crowds of people looking for them.
doelcm82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:43 PM   #102
Korican100
macrumors 6502a
 
Korican100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
Steve would feel punk'd, I reckon
post like yours make me miss the downvote buttons. SEVERELY

pls go
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:20 PM   #103
mrtravel123
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
So, for all those who are complaining about Kutcher being the actor to play Jobs, I've noticed that most of you are NOT offering an alternative for Kutcher.

What amazing actor do you suggest?

No matter who you suggest, there will be masses of people who complain. Why? Because some people just like to complain and because this is a subjective issue anyway. Regardless of the actor chosen there will be complainers who aren't happy.

What I do like about Kutcher is that he DOES have passion, something that Jobs showed over and over again through the years. Kutcher has been on the forefront of investing in internet and product startups over the past 5-10 years AND Kutcher also loves Mac, Apple, etc. Thus, I am sure that he'll put a lot of effort into this role simply because I'm sure HE has respect for Jobs as a person and for what he accomplished professionally in technology.

Is Kutcher the most amazing actor? No. But, he is passionate, looks like Jobs AND is of the appropriate age for playing this part. Keep in mind that most "A" list actors are many years older in age - and I doubt that the younger actors would get any fewer complaints than Kutcher.

Like I said... if you're going to complain about Kutcher... offer an alternative that would be a better fit. Whoever you choose people will complain and whine.
mrtravel123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:26 PM   #104
olowott
macrumors 6502a
 
olowott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dundee, UK
Send a message via MSN to olowott
This is gonna be a BIG Win or according to Steve Jobs - "********s"
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb SpaceGrey -- 2011 13" Macbook pr-- iPhone 4s 16gb -- iPAD 2 32gb
olowott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:52 PM   #105
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote fail.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:07 PM   #106
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
If this was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, I would look forward to him bringing a great performance from a subpar actor like he has done in the past.

Looking at the credits though, it appears to be mediocrity from pre-production to post. This just looks like a money grab and an attempt to get a biographical film out before the authorized version and while the Jobs hype is still somewhat fresh after his death. The fact that "jOBS" got approval as the title should be another indicator of it's overall quality. If Steve thought "iSteve" was a crappy book title, I can only imagine his reaction to this nonsensical stylization.

I imagine many of the members here will sing it's praises when it's released. After a year or two to digest it though, and after the authorized film is released, people will likely see it as being insanely average in hindsight, if not the s-word that Jobs liked to use.


Blah blah blah. All speculation.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtone17 View Post
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?
Lol. Rotten tomatoes. Nuff' said.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:10 PM   #107
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtone17 View Post
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?
The fact that you quoted Rotten Tomato just shows the kind of mentality you have over this.

Your logic: "He's focused mainly on comedy roles. That means he'll suck big time at everything else - its physically impossible for him to not suck because its this guy". If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to follow the sheep and just say he's crap "because he is".

Also, serious roles:
- The Butterfly Effect
- The Guardian
- Personal Effects

As I said, just because an actor hasn't been in a huge number of roles of a specific genre, how the hell does that immediately indicate that they MUST suck at it?


(Oh and dont read reviews from critics and take them seriously - they are called critics for a reason )
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #108
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I've read it annually for the past ten years or so. As a heads up, everyone is roughly 8 years older at the start of the movie compared to the book, though they end at about the same age. I feel like a lot is going to be lost on account of that alone - I think the movie should have been done as pure CGI, just because the ages seemed so important and getting enough talented actors at those ages is completely impossible.
Ender's Game? I've never heard of it.. could you tell me a bit of what it is about? I'm not sure how young the characters are in that novel, but "The Hunger Games" had some decent young actors, I'm not sure if they're as young as the ones in the "Ender's Game" book though.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:22 PM   #109
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
Ender's Game? I've never heard of it.. could you tell me a bit of what it is about? I'm not sure how young the characters are in that novel, but "The Hunger Games" had some decent young actors, I'm not sure if they're as young as the ones in the "Ender's Game" book though.
The title character starts at age 4 and at the end is 12, if I recall correctly. One of the main supporting characters is 2 at the start (although I think they've decided to introduce him later in the story for the movie than in the book.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:37 PM   #110
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
TheHateMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
Blah blah blah. All speculation.

----------



Lol. Rotten tomatoes. Nuff' said.
The biggest review aggregation site for movies is something to be dismissed?

Lol. Post by Lark.Landon. Nuff' said.
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:17 PM   #111
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
The biggest review aggregation site for movies is something to be dismissed?

Lol. Post by Lark.Landon. Nuff' said.
Just because it is one of the largest review websites, does not mean its reviews are accurate or even valid. I've found that I disagree with over 70% of the reviews done by the critics there. Most simply classified as, "movie snobs".

So yes, I dismiss the critics of Rotten Tomatoes almost on a daily basis. And no, I'm not trolling. I used to actually take the critics opinions into account until recently. ( Last 6 months )
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:33 PM   #112
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
The title character starts at age 4 and at the end is 12, if I recall correctly. One of the main supporting characters is 2 at the start (although I think they've decided to introduce him later in the story for the movie than in the book.)
Oh wow. Yeah, that is definitely a near impossibility to cast properly hehe. I'll Wiki the storyline of the book though. I like reading the novel before watching the film whenever possible.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:07 PM   #113
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscat View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing another quality Ashton Kutcher film. He's always in total winners.
And he's such a fine actor that he always rises above the material.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #114
twigman08
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtone17 View Post
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.
That's all I read. As soon you said Rotten Tomatoes I quit reading. Just about any movie they say that is "tasteless" the audience (the real critics the one that brings the movie in money) ends liking the film a lot more.

Butteryfly Effect got a 33% from Rotten Tomatoes (I laughed and have even less respect for them after seeing that). The Audience liked it and it has a 81%. Butterfly Effect is not an amazing movie but it is a very good movie and Ashton Kutcher did a great job in it.

Plus I never understood whining about what actors a movie uses. You could name some other actor their would be just as many people saying "ugh why did they choice this person? Should have chosen someone else!"
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:17 AM   #115
Wiesenlooser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I personally dont quite get the Kutcher hate. Yeah he has been playing in a lot of comedy movies. So has Bill Murray. Does that make him a bad actor?
(im not saying Kutcher is as good as Murray).

I think Kutcher fits quit nice in the role of Jobs. He looks like his twin. Also , I hink Kutcher's comedic background might be an advantage actuallly. He is the sunnyboy but Steve wasnt that different in his young age.
Wiesenlooser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #116
ProVideo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
Blah blah blah. All speculation.
Speculation on a site called "MacRumors"? Imagine that.

I'll come back and call it a piece of **** after it comes out as well, if that makes you feel better.
ProVideo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:16 PM   #117
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Any trailers yet?
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:40 PM   #118
MrDc2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
Speculation on a site called "MacRumors"? Imagine that.

I'll come back and call it a piece of **** after it comes out as well, if that makes you feel better.
I'm sure Ashton Kutcher is crushed.
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:09 PM   #119
samdev
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
jOOBies.

yeah, it makes no sense at all.
samdev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:50 PM   #120
The Deepness
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly123 View Post
I am worried about how [the Sony movie] will turn out since Sorkin said the entire movie will be 3 scenes of product launches behind the scenes and doesn't even include the iPhone or iPad!
Yeah, I'm with you; it's hard to believe this odd framing will capture the many arcs of Steve Jobs' life. It could work; Sorkin probably knows what he's doing. I'm sure both productions will be serviceable, entertaining vehicles full of enough reverence to give both fans and haters something to talk about for a while. The coverage of both of productions so far, however, has left me a bit flat. Maybe that's good; with low expectations, I may actually be impressed.

Either way, I fear a "definitive" life story of Steve Jobs from "the adoptive parents must be college graduates" to "Oh wow! Oh wow!" will be several years, if not decades, off. The ultimate problem is that Steve Jobs himself was a masterpiece. Could any movie version of his life ever truly measure up?

And for the record, I've always felt the best actor to play Steve Jobs would be Christian Bale. Anyone who's seen The Fighter, or (and especially) The Machinist, knows Bale's commitment to a role. Bale favors Jobs closely enough that makeup could sell the rest. Plus Bale could portray the full range of who Jobs was across all the years of his life, all the way to the end.
__________________
"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Last edited by The Deepness; Jan 7, 2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo correction
The Deepness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:13 PM   #121
MacFly123
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deepness View Post
Yeah, I'm with you; it's hard to believe this odd framing will capture the many arcs of Steve Jobs' life. It could work; Sorkin probably knows what he's doing. I'm sure oth productions will be serviceable, entertaining vehicles full of enough reverence to give both fans and haters something to talk about for a while. The coverage of both of productions so far, however, has left me a bit flat. Maybe that's good; with low expectations, I may actually be impressed.

Either way, I fear a "definitive" life story of Steve Jobs from "the adoptive parents must be college graduates" to "Oh wow! Oh wow!" will be several years, if not decades, off. The ultimate problem is that Steve Jobs himself was a masterpiece. Could any movie version of his life ever truly measure up?

And for the record, I've always felt the best actor to play Steve Jobs would be Christian Bale. Anyone who's seen The Fighter, or (and especially) The Machinist, knows Bale's commitment to a role. Bale favors Jobs closely enough that makeup could sell the rest. Plus Bale could portray the full range of who Jobs was across all the years of his life, all the way to the end.
I agree with you except on Christian Bale haha. I just don't have much personal respect for him even if he is a decent actor. Just my personal preference.

Either way, I am excited to see all of the Steve content being created for me to watch
__________________
- Steve Jobs' best friend!

Last edited by MacFly123; Jan 7, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add
MacFly123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:15 PM   #122
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020
 
Liquorpuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtone17 View Post
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?
Butterfly Effect, which should be way higher than 33%. Look how audience approval is 80%. Meanwhile you got movies like Mystery Men (one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theatre), ranked as fresh by critics, while the audience hates it. Critics are wierd

Ashton Kutcher is one of those actors who's annoying because the roles he's typecast in are annoying. But once in a while he'll get a dramatic role that shows what he can do. He's like Anthony Anderson - people hated him then all of a sudden he's on the Shield and people realize he can act. Or how Mo'nique was annoying before she did Precious and won a ton of awards.
__________________
Ableton 9 on a Surface Pro 3, APC40, Audiobox, Yamaha KX8, Roland V-Drums HD1 + Octapad, K-Pro, Rode NT1A, MPC1000, EWI, 1200-MK5, 06-Pro
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:33 PM   #123
sransari
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
post like yours make me miss the downvote buttons. SEVERELY

pls go
__________________
2008 MacPro 8-core, 2.8 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
2012 Macbook Pro Retina 2.3 GHz i7
iPad 4th Gen Retina
iFone 6+
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #124
Korican100
macrumors 6502a
 
Korican100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
im just kidding. Im jealous that you have the first post, so I took it out on you in the wrong way! I probably would have said the same thing.

Do you forgive me?
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #125
dxstewart
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: green hill zone.
I'm just waiting on the trailer. A picture is nice, but I'm trying to see some video footage.
__________________
allow me to introduce myself...
dxstewart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' Movie Now Available on iTunes MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 90 Dec 2, 2013 03:52 AM
Ashton Kutcher interviewed about Jobs movie the8thark Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 0 Aug 26, 2013 09:20 PM
First Trailer for Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' Released MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 298 Jul 20, 2013 05:03 AM
Colorful New Movie Poster Released for Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 95 Jul 9, 2013 04:55 PM
Ashton Kutcher Movie 'jOBS' Coming to Theaters April 19 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 25 Jan 24, 2013 06:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC