Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:51 PM   #51
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
OP does it really bother you that much? Enough to keep you from buying a device? Wow, I wish that insignificant little thing was what I had to worry about.
I'm with you on this one and my husband would be too. He's be appalled that someone would worry about something this.
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:45 AM   #52
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Back plate is replaceable. (Or buy a case)

Purchase a couple of these. Carrier branding gone.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 AM   #53
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
So there is no branding on the back of your iPhone?

What do you call the back there?

That's BRANDING !
For me, I find the samsung logo on the front deeply annoying and distracting.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:07 AM   #54
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
For me, I find the samsung logo on the front deeply annoying and distracting.
It's not the manufacturer I find distracting though.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:29 AM   #55
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
It's not the manufacturer I find distracting though.
I know. Apple has always been fame for it's minimalist branding. Literally, there is only one Apple logo on the exterior and one "iPhone" brand. That's it. It appears that they are looking to minimise distractions.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:49 AM   #56
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

I remember when some owners complained that when they upgraded from the 4 to 4s it did not have anything on it to show it as the 4s.

Street cred and snobbery gone mad.

I'm personally glad of the lack of branding on my iPhone 5.
bandofbrothers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:56 AM   #57
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
I remember when some owners complained that when they upgraded from the 4 to 4s it did not have anything on it to show it as the 4s.

Street cred and snobbery gone mad.

I'm personally glad of the lack of branding on my iPhone 5.
If branding is done right it can look cool. I have always liked Sony products for this especially their vaio products
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:51 AM   #58
chdwil
macrumors regular

Well here in the United States people love branding. In some cases people actually pay money to get extra brands on the things they own. Like paying for a giant Honda decal on your Hondas back window. You would think Honda would have to pay for the free billboard, but no we love to waste money on junk. Just think, every time you turn on your Android phone a whole screen pops up to tell you who your carrier is. I think I might get a AT&T tattoo soon.
chdwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:39 AM   #59
cynics
macrumors 604

I hate branding. One of my favorite things about my lifeproof case on my 4S is that it covers the Apple logo.

Although it wouldn't be my deciding factor I do like how Apple and Nexus device don't have carrier branding. I like how the nexus doesn't have carrier branding on the screen more then the iPhone.

I see there is a non root way to change the carrier branding on an iPhone but it looks like you need a Mac (which I don't have).
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:44 AM   #60
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
I have taken it for granted after 3 years with the iphone uninterupted was the lack of branding....

I was tempted to look at the note as an additional line until i saw this

Thumb resize.
The branding on the back doesn't bother me, but what does is that awful use of branding on the home button. It looks horrible! That would put me off buying that phone.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:58 AM   #61
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I hate branding. One of my favorite things about my lifeproof case on my 4S is that it covers the Apple logo.
http://reviews.cnet.com/carrying-cas...-35534991.html

Quote:
"We got feedback from folks and many wanted to be able to show they had an Apple product," says Jonathan Wegner, Lifeproof's director of communications. "This is particularly true in the Chinese market. They don't want the logo hidden."
Sad. It makes me want to cover mine in protest.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:13 AM   #62
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Abercrombie & Fitch branding doesn't seem to bother anyone wearing the clothes.
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:27 AM   #63
bigjim83
macrumors 6502

Lame Verizon. I have att and I only have a logo on the back of my S3 which has a case over it.
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:58 PM   #64
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
What was sarcastic? I have kids, a wife, thousands of Airmen and dependants, vehicles, animals to worry about, and that's just the start. I wish some branding on a phone was what kept me up at night and made me worry. You must think it's a big deal if you felt the need to make a thread about it.
I'm very sorry your life apparently took such a wrong turn, that you have so many things to worry about. But the fact of the matter is, this isn't iamamarriedmillitaryenlisteewhoworriestoomuchforums.com.

This IS macrumors.com, where consumer electronics are discussed, and for some of us, the commercial branding on a device will sway our purchasing decisions. Will such decision impact the way of life and personal freedoms of 300 million+ people? No, of course not. We don't take ourselves that seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I support and respect what you do. But like it or not, one of many consequences of your work is that we have the freedom to discuss such insignificant things, and so, many of us do. Constantly. If that's not something you can handle, you may need to consider another line of work. Or at least a different forum.

Anyway, back to the topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
What do you call the back there?

That's BRANDING !
The on the back of an iPhone is credit taken by a company for making a great product. Especially on the iPhone 5, it's subtle, too. Nothing flashy or overly contrasty. It barely takes up an eighth of the overall surface of the rear. And there's zero useless branding on the front. To me, that's just the right amount of branding.

Likewise, Samsung's logo on the back of the Note is taking credit where credit is due. If I were a Samsung guy, I wouldn't mind JUST the Samsung branding.

But then there's Verizon, putting ITS logo on the back (bigger than the Samsung logo, by the way), and on the home button, in addition to the carrier banner that shows up on the screen. PLUS a huge, gawdy "4G LTE" logo to boot, which would happen to be an outright false brand if I have a Samsung Note in one of the 18,000+ cities in the US where Verizon still only has dated, barely-qualifying 3G.

What did Verizon do to deserve all that branding? Lock you in a contract? Carrier lock your phone? Compel Samsung to add bloatware to the ROM and restrict features? That's not something I would be proud of.

There's branding, and then there's too much branding.

In any case, there's other reasons why I wouldn't buy one. The one obvious one being: it's way too big.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:12 PM   #65
Oracle1729
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNeil4Real View Post
The branding is whatever. A lot of times you get a case. The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!! Just got my girlfriends dad an LG Intuition for a steal and in the applications thing it had almost 3 pages of crap that you can't remove. Of course the apps aren't actually installed but you can't remove the damn icons and it just adds so much clutter!
It's not 3 pages, but I wish I could remove garbage like newstand, the itunes store, their clock, notes, stock apps, etc. I have them all shoved in a folder on my last page (except newstand of course since apple was feeling especially evil that month). I either use better alternatives (like stocks) or don't use them at all, so why do I need them cluttering up my iphone? For that matter, why is my 16 gig iPad 4 closer to 11 gig fresh out of the box?
Oracle1729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #66
maflynn

Generally speaking many people root their device so they have the ability to remove the crapware that is installed. Another benefit with the iPhone is that we don't see any carrier crapware installed.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:19 PM   #67
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
Lame Verizon. I have att and I only have a logo on the back of my S3 which has a case over it.
Same here. Just an AT&T globe on the back which is covered with a case. I believe Sprint didn't even place any carrier logos on the Note II at all.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:37 PM   #68
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
That depends on where you live, and how much value people there place on social status.

In China and the slums of America, flaunting that Apple logo is a HUGE deal because of how much gap there is between rich and poor. In other places, it's pretty ho-hum.
Have you actually been to China? I've seen shoeshiners with iPhones over there. They're as commonplace there as they are in the US.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #69
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Have you actually been to China? I've seen shoeshiners with iPhones over there. They're as commonplace there as they are in the US.
Apple has a 35% market share for smartphones in the US. It has about a 7% market share in China and is in 5th place among manufacturers there.

The reason? http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81G08220120217

"If you want to sell handsets to the mass market, a simple rule of thumb in China is that the handset price has to be close to 70 percent of the monthly salary," said Jayesh Easwaramony, an analyst with Frost & Sullivan in Singapore.

"Today, an iPhone is more than two months salary."

This, said Easwaramony, gives the likes of Huawei and ZTE the opportunity to cater to a mass market that is captivated by the iPhone, but doesn't have the purchasing power for it.

You must have run into an outlier group of shoeshiners.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:02 PM   #70
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Apple has a 35% market share for smartphones in the US. It has about a 7% market share in China and is in 5th place among manufacturers there.

The reason? http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81G08220120217

"If you want to sell handsets to the mass market, a simple rule of thumb in China is that the handset price has to be close to 70 percent of the monthly salary," said Jayesh Easwaramony, an analyst with Frost & Sullivan in Singapore.

"Today, an iPhone is more than two months salary."

This, said Easwaramony, gives the likes of Huawei and ZTE the opportunity to cater to a mass market that is captivated by the iPhone, but doesn't have the purchasing power for it.

You must have run into an outlier group of shoeshiners.
Thanks for the stats. But, again, have you actually been to China? Yes, it's clear that for many people, buying an iPhone represents one or two months of salary, but it is far from the status symbol that the previous poster seems to claim. Let's not forget that in a country of 1.7 billion, 7% is more than a third of the entire population of the US. Take a ride on the subway in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Tianjin, etc, and I think you'll find that you won't be near the only one using an iPhone, nor will anyone be coveting your iPhone.

Status symbols imply exclusivity. There is nothing exclusive about Apple products in China beyond the price tag. Thus the thousands of Apple "resellers" in every major city catering to iPhone users.

And I disagree with that analyst's view that price
Is primarily what's holding the iPhone back. That view is entirely too simplistic (as is your drawing a conclusion from that view). Get the iphone on China Mobile, China's largest telecom provider by far, and then see what happens to the marketshare number. And also take away the thousands of extremely cheap, off-contract knockoff Android phones, and then see what happens.
thelookingglass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:52 PM   #71
imacintosh.0
Banned

I usually dont care about branding (bloatware is another story), but they branded the home button?? That's ridiculous, and extremely tacky!
imacintosh.0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #72
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
Abercrombie & Fitch branding doesn't seem to bother anyone wearing the clothes.
Well, perhaps their clothes attract a particular type of people, the type that like branding.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:03 PM   #73
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

I hate network-branded phones. And what does the Verizon button do? Take you to their website?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #74
bushman4
macrumors 65816

If Verizon wants tp place advertising on your Smart-phone let them pay you!Verizon branding your Smartphone is abusive. While it would be less objectionable if the Logo was less obvious and done in good taste it is annoying.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:23 PM   #75
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Status symbols imply exclusivity. There is nothing exclusive about Apple products in China beyond the price tag. Thus the thousands of Apple "resellers" in every major city catering to iPhone users.
Status symbols are about perception not exclusivity because, at the end of the day, owning one doesn't omit you from who you really are.

Last edited by corvus32; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone