Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We recently got rid of our pillowtop spring mattress and purchased a latex mattress, a Pure Bliss Transfusion model. It normally retails for around $2200. Picked it up at The Dump (a local retailer) for $1100. Quite a deal and we are very pleased with it.

My first impression is that this is way too firm as compared to the pillowtop we owned previously. However both me and my wife are getting outstanding sleep on it. I was curious what the general consensus is regarding memory foam/latex mattresses as compared to spring mattresses, a fad or here to stay?

Honestly, I admit we ended up with latex mostly because of the pricing for this mattress but we like it because it is cool and I have read that latex lasts forever.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't have any experience with those types of mattreses. I have the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed, one of the first ones when the company started. It's a dual chamber bed and when I first got it it was a great bed to sleep on.

But over the years, the foam side rails bend out and warp if you will and the chambers spread apart leaving a slight valley in the middle and I end up rolling into it and it causes me to get worse sleep now. They've sent me replacement foam pieces and even a piece it never came with to put in the middle to try and help keep it together, but it doesn't help at all.

I've had it for 10 years or so and now I am wanting to get something different.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't have any experience with those types of mattreses. I have the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed, one of the first ones when the company started. It's a dual chamber bed and when I first got it it was a great bed to sleep on.

But over the years, the foam side rails bend out and warp if you will and the chambers spread apart leaving a slight valley in the middle and I end up rolling into it and it causes me to get worse sleep now. They've sent me replacement foam pieces and even a piece it never came with to put in the middle to try and help keep it together, but it doesn't help at all.

I've had it for 10 years or so and now I am wanting to get something different.

The first time I slept on a Sleep Number bed, I thought it was THE BEST. But I travel alot and found that the older Sleep Number beds don't feel nearly as nice, especially when they don't inflate properly. I don't like being dependent on a mechanism that is subject to breakage if I can help it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The first time I slept on a Sleep Number bed, I thought it was THE BEST. But I travel alot and found that the older Sleep Number beds don't feel nearly as nice, especially when they don't inflate. I don't like being dependent on a mechanism that is subject to breakage if I can help it.

Agreed. Although my bed has never had a problem with staying inflated. The pump and air mattresses have held up fine. But I suppose YMMV.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I recently bought a memory foam mattress. i slept well on it, but couldn't get used to it. It didn't move like a tradition mattress, which bothered me.

I ended up returning it go with a regular style again.

Over the long run I think memory foam will stick around, and a lot of the traditional style mattresses incorporate in their cushioning now.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I bought a TempurPedic memory foam mattress almost 15 years ago. It took a little while to get used to it, but it is by far the mattress I ever had. No concern regarding dust mites, and it is as comfortable now as it was when I bought it. We'll be buying another mattress for the guest bedroom, and we'll get a memory foam mattress again, though I may try the ones from Costco this time as they're less expensive.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
My grandparents have an older tempurpedic memory foam mattress, probably around 6 - 8 years old. I found it to be fairly comfortable sleeping on my back, but it sucked when I slept on my side. I think the newer memory foam mattresses that have different levels of firmness would be more comfortable to me.

We recently bought a sleep number bed with the memory foam on the top, the m7 model, and so far it has been an amazing bed. We spent about 2 weeks playing around with the different settings and now we never touch the remote but it is the best sleep I have gotten on a mattress.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Every time I lay on my bed, my thought is this is too firm. This seems to be the number one complaint of people sleeping on memory foam/latex mattresses for the first time. But I sleep well and no issues laying on my side- no pressure points. I think I've spent too many years on a pillowtop.

Because I purchased it at the Dump, I would not be surprised if it is a discontinued model, Pure Latex Bliss "Transfusion". On their described plushness scale where 1 is firm and 10 is soft, ours is rated a 6. I hate to see how a 1 feels. ;) We also purchased some Z pillows which are great to sleep on.
If I had it to do over, I would have chosen the next softer model, however considering the quality of sleep I'm getting, it's hard to complain.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I had a King Sized Pillow Top mattress until I spent the night at a friends house. She had the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. I bought mine the next week. It's an iComfort Savant. I sleep far better than I ever have in the past. Memory Foam is where it is at. I also upgraded to Comfort Revelation Pillows.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Having spent several weeks traveling, I'm always running into spring mattresses that feel comfortable but I wake up in the morning with a sore back. Back at home now in my latex mattress and it's ahhhhhhh. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What a fascinating thread.

Not being from the US, all of these brand names are equally alien to me, but I am reading the comments avidly.

So, what is the consensus on mattresses and back problems (and indeed, quality of sleep?)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Having spent several weeks traveling, I'm always running into spring mattresses that feel comfortable but I wake up in the morning with a sore back. Back at home now in my latex mattress and it's ahhhhhhh. :)

So you've had it a year now and still love it eh? That's great.

I'm seriously considering a new bed in the next couple of months to replace the aforementioned Sleep Number.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Not being from the US, all of these brand names are equally alien to me, but I am reading the comments avidly.

So, what is the consensus on mattresses and back problems (and indeed, quality of sleep?)

I don't believe that there is a consensus beyond the fact that a mattress can significantly affect the quality and duration of sleep, as well as ameliorate or aggravate back problems. Unfortunately, back pain is a symptom that has a wide variety of causes, and it is often idiosyncratic.

I can tell you that I have suffered from back pain for years and had a lot of difficulty sleeping. My wife and I finally purchased a Sleep Number bed, which allows the user to vary the firmness by inflating or deflating an air bladder in the mattress. (Actually two, since each can be adjusted individually.) As well, we got bases that bends= the mattress at two points to raise/lower the head or feet using a remote control or app. So far, it's been very effective for us.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

My visits to have my back/neck/hips adjusted decreased dramatically after I got my Sleep Number bed. My previous mattress was about 15 years old.

I initially had trouble sleeping on it, waking up several times during the night. I found that was due to having the un-used side fully inflated. I lowered the pressure in that side and things changed. It could also be that I got used to sleeping on it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I can't say there is a consensus, but my opinion is that latex, what I'm familiar with is simply wonderful. I've heard some memory foam can feel hot, in essence hold your heat. Latex is cool and comfortable, but not cold. The firmest version felt a bit too firm until I adjusted to it in about a week. I could not go back to spring mattress which do have pressure points at least I can feel them after over a period of hours.

So you've had it a year now and still love it eh? That's great.

I'm seriously considering a new bed in the next couple of months to replace the aforementioned Sleep Number.

Yes, it is still feeling as wonderful as when we first got it. :):)

If you want to hear something funny, my 86 year old Father has been complaining of a sore back. Turns out he's been sleeping on a mattress for 30 years which coukd have been 20 years old when he bought it used, lol. :D my brother talked him into a new mattress, basically forced it on him, a spring mattress with a foam top, and now... He's getting better sleep.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
My visits to have my back/neck/hips adjusted decreased dramatically after I got my Sleep Number bed. My previous mattress was about 15 years old.

I initially had trouble sleeping on it, waking up several times during the night. I found that was due to having the un-used side fully inflated. I lowered the pressure in that side and things changed. It could also be that I got used to sleeping on it.

You definitely have to get used to it, especially if you have the adjustable base. For example, I'm used to sleeping on my side, which is hard to do if the bed isn't flat. The flexed positions are much more conducive to sleeping on my back, and I'm still getting used to that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I can't say there is a consensus, but my opinion is that latex, what I'm familiar with is simply wonderful. I've heard some memory foam can feel hot, in essence hold your heat. Latex is cool and comfortable, but not cold. The firmest version felt a bit too firm until I adjusted to it in about a week. I could not go back to spring mattress which do have pressure points at least I can feel them after over a period of hours.

Yes, it is still feeling as wonderful as when we first got it. :):)

If you want to hear something funny, my 86 year old Father has been complaining of a sore back. Turns out he's been sleeping on a mattress for 30 years which coukd have been 20 years old when he bought it used, lol. :D my brother talked him into a new mattress, basically forced it on him, a spring mattress with a foam top, and now... He's getting better sleep.

That sounds like my kind of bed; staying cool and not retaining heat. I looked at their website yesterday and they're a little expensive, for my budget. If I end up wanting one, I may need to save up for a while longer.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I spent more than two years of my life sleeping on cardboard boxes on the ground and the occasional sofa.

The last time I bought a matress I simply looked for the cheapest one.

I always sleep the same, but I do prefere a soft, warm surface.

NickG420

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
In Wayne Gacey's Basement
About 2 months ago my we purchased a Costco memory foam mattress, The Novafirm I believe it was.

It was #2 on Consumer Reports list. It has been the best sleep of my life hands down...It feels like concrete when you first lay down and then it slowly adjusts and supports your body perfectly.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
In my apartment in Berkeley, our mattresses weren't that great so we I got a memory foam (2") to put on top of the mattress. For the first month or 2, the bed felt really nice but then you get used to it and then it just feels normal.

My mattress back at home though, I wouldn't think of using it since that mattress is really nice.

Honestly I think the the memory foam thing is a fad, but thats just because it didn't last long for my need.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That sounds like my kind of bed; staying cool and not retaining heat. I looked at their website yesterday and they're a little expensive, for my budget. If I end up wanting one, I may need to save up for a while longer.

There is quite a range of prices (as you know). Our previous King size, national brand mattress was $1500. At the time we lived in Minnesota (Twin Cities) and you could buy an excellent locally made spring mattress from The Original Mattress Factory for half that price. Their advertising was based on the premise that the large national mattress companies were ripping customers off. We purchased two, one we slept on during a transistion period and were quite happy with it.

Next time, I wanted memory foam, but stumbled into latex though a local discount store, called The Dump which I believe is one of those places that buys inventory from other stores who are going out of business, and it's only open on the weekend. They may not have these mattresses today, but they were half price off retail and as far as I can tell these were not "seconds" or defective. Quite a deal.

I spent more than two years of my life sleeping on cardboard boxes on the ground and the occasional sofa.

The last time I bought a matress I simply looked for the cheapest one.

I always sleep the same, but I do prefere a soft, warm surface.

Sorry to hear this. I hope life is treating you much better these days.

----------

Everyone should get a Strata Waterbed that has no wave support.

YouTube: video

I wanted a waterbed once. They were ahead of their time. :) I assume this uses a heater?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Sorry to hear this. I hope life is treating you much better these days.
I could afford a better mattress now, but I am stingy. :D
I think it's an advantage to not care too much about your bed.
One less thing to worry about ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.