Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
well what'll apple think a next? a color display?? why they could charge an extra 2 grand for somethin' as neat as thaaaaat

geveke

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Utrecht, the Netherlands
Should be standard in my opinion. Option to go fully SSD.

I agree. From a technical (component) point of view, Macs differ very little from much cheaper PC offerings from Acer and the like. OSX and design alone jsut don't explain the hefty premium for buying a Mac. Including fusion drives as a standard would restore my faltering confidence in Apple as a company that is interested in high quality products, and not just is another way to make money on another subscrition based service. They're really dropping the ball on hardware, lately. (If you want to become a net-service company, why charge these hefty premiums on hardware?)

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Just a quick check on amazon I see:

256GB SSD $200

512GB SSD $400

Apple has magical solid state memory though. Just like they had magical RAM and hard drives years ago when PC's were at 4GB and Apple started at 1GB of magical RAM, and PC's had 500-640GB HDD but Apple had magical 120-250GB HDD's.

:p

Could just have desktop to add our own for $999 starting....alright Apple stop laughing :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
You're not paying for an SSD drive. You are paying for an SSD drive that is used as part of a Fusion drive. You are paying for something that only Apple is selling and nobody else. You can't buy a Fusion drive from Dell, not for $250, not for any amount. You can't buy a Fusion drive from HP, not for $250, not for any amount. You can't buy a Fusion drive from any computer manufacturer that is not Apple, not for $250, not for any amount.

And if you could, they would charge you $250 as well.

That is the biggest fan boy blech ever.

Fusion drive is a fracking marketing gimmick... it IS a bloody SSD. Apple has masterminded taking nothing and hyping it into something.

The Fusion drive is simply an ssd that the user has no control over and having that marketed as a good thing like it's got all the magic of Exaclibur in it's swing.

Other computer makers have already done this BEFORE Apple. The difference is on other computers, the OS was installed on an SSD, and the free space left for the end user. Apple simply made it so they dicate what goes on the SSD for you.

So no.... the SSD is not "part of a fusion drive" (shaking head at that comment even still)... it's a marketing pitch to create hype. The technologically educated aren't stupid enough to fall for it. That is for the technologically inept.

The software running the fusion drive isn't anything state of the art. The OS is quite capable of knowing which files and programs you use the most... in fact, OS-es have been looking at this data for 20 years... now it just moves the files back and forth for you. It's a glorified automator script. Actually, it probably is an automator script.

So please don't glorify something as something it's totally not.

On the same hand, people stop complaining about how grossly expensive it is. This is Apple. This is no different than their armed robbery of people when they sell ram upgrades that you can by third party for 70% less. This is what Apple does and why they have such high margins on their products.

But sorry... it's an ssd running a script in the background based on usage of programs and files.... not exactly revolutionary. Just convenient for the person who is clueless about their own computer usage.

I'd rather just have the SSD with the os on it and control of the space. Now, when someone comes out with a hack to shut off the magic (aka script) behind the fusion drive, I'd probably love it. I'd want my music library on the ssd, video files, etc... not work spreadsheets that I use a lot and could care less about.

Kuzbad

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
The 5400 rpm drive is only in the 21" because it uses a 2.5" notebook HDD. The 27" machines use 7200 rpm drives, since they have 3.5" bays.

Show me a non "utterly laughable" notebook using a spinning HDD that is not 5400 rpm. The 2.5" form factor dictates the specs of the drive. Rotational speed is not everything though. Reminds me of all the kids who bought into the megahertz myth back in the day. Bigger is better, right!

Wow, what a complete joke and ignorant defending of an indefensible hardware decision. 5400rpm is horrendous and has been for many years. I even replaced the stock disk is my PowerBook g4 with a 7200rpm disk because even 7 years ago 5400 rpm disks were awful. I'm amazed anyone can use a MBP/iMac/mini with stock disk. They're so painful to use.

7200...10000...15000rpm 2.5" drives are easily and readily available (and have been common and cheaply available outside of the Mac world for many years).

http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
10,000 or 15,000 is probably pushing it, but I agree 100% that being stuck on 5400 RPM in 2013 is pathetic.

But the Fusion IS an unique technology, which gives you (mostly) the speed of SSD with HDD sizes for reasonable prices.

But personally I'll just go all SSD. I have 300 GB in my 2008 iMac (that's the lowest they'll go back then), and barely use 50 GB. Boot Camp included. So a 128 GB SSD would be awesome for me.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I don't blame people that already bought an entry level iMac for being upset about this. I'm sure glad that I waited and can now save 200 hard earned dollars. Having to step up to the high end 21" to get a fusion drive was crazy. It was basically a 450 dollar upgrade...yeah you get better specs but not worth it. :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow, what a complete joke and ignorant defending of an indefensible hardware decision. 5400rpm is horrendous and has been for many years. I even replaced the stock disk is my PowerBook g4 with a 7200rpm disk because even 7 years ago 5400 rpm disks were awful. I'm amazed anyone can use a MBP/iMac/mini with stock disk. They're so painful to use.

7200...10000...15000rpm 2.5" drives are easily and readily available (and have been common and cheaply available outside of the Mac world for many years).

Actually, Joe-H2O is correct, look at the link you provided and find a 1 terabyte 2.5" HDD that runs at 7200rpm and is a good price, less then a fusion drive anyway.
You may not find one.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009

This. I got my first MBP for work in 2011 (the first sandybridge i5 model), and expected it to be lightning fast. I couldn't figure out why my old ass Core Duo laptop and even an ancient Athlon desktop opened applications faster.

Then, I learned it only had a 5400rpm drive in it. Mystery solved.

I haven't bothered upgrading it yet because it's not my machine, but it drives me absolutely insane that they do this.

I don't mind a bit of apple tax if they offer good parts, but things are getting out of hand lately.
- 5400rpm drives
- retina models can't be upgraded by yourself
- still no IPS screens

Really, the only reason I'm still a big fan of Apple laptops is because they offer a great touchpad and magsafe. It it wasn't for that I'd definitely be back to a PC.

I'm personally just trying to wait for a 512mb SSD to get down to a more reasonable price range so I can jump right to that and avoid all this hybrid crap.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I don't blame people that already bought an entry level iMac for being upset about this. I'm sure glad that I waited and can now save 200 hard earned dollars. Having to step up to the high end 21" to get a fusion drive was crazy. It was basically a 450 dollar upgrade...yeah you get better specs but not worth it. :)
Excluding the $1,299 iMac from access to the fusion drive lead me to buy a Mac mini instead; I didn't need a 27" screen and wasn't prepared to spend $1,949 for a 21.5" iMac. That said, no access to the RAM slots and $200 pricetag for 16GB of RAM would have likely still deterred me from purchasing an iMac even if the fusion drive had been available in the $1,299 iMac from day one. I put 16GB of RAM in my new Mac Mini for $88 and repurposed the 8GB that came with the Mini in my parents' 2011 iMac.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
10,000 or 15,000 is probably pushing it, but I agree 100% that being stuck on 5400 RPM in 2013 is pathetic.

But the Fusion IS an unique technology, which gives you (mostly) the speed of SSD with HDD sizes for reasonable prices.

But personally I'll just go all SSD. I have 300 GB in my 2008 iMac (that's the lowest they'll go back then), and barely use 50 GB. Boot Camp included. So a 128 GB SSD would be awesome for me.

Don't do much, do ya? I have 5x 1TB hard drives in my Mac Pro (one is using an optical drive slot using an adapter from OWC). 1TB is for OS X, 1 TB for Time Machine, 1 TB for Windows 7, 1TB for Windows 7 backup, 1TB for scratch disk for Photoshop / FCPX

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
You're not paying for an SSD drive. You are paying for an SSD drive that is used as part of a Fusion drive. You are paying for something that only Apple is selling and nobody else. You can't buy a Fusion drive from Dell, not for $250, not for any amount. You can't buy a Fusion drive from HP, not for $250, not for any amount. You can't buy a Fusion drive from any computer manufacturer that is not Apple, not for $250, not for any amount.

And if you could, they would charge you $250 as well.

That is the biggest fan boy blech ever.

Fusion drive is a fracking marketing gimmick... it IS a bloody SSD. Apple has masterminded taking nothing and hyping it into something.

The Fusion drive is simply an ssd that the user has no control over and having that marketed as a good thing like it's got all the magic of Exaclibur in it's swing.

Other computer makers have already done this BEFORE Apple. The difference is on other computers, the OS was installed on an SSD, and the free space left for the end user. Apple simply made it so they dicate what goes on the SSD for you.

So no.... the SSD is not "part of a fusion drive" (shaking head at that comment even still)... it's a marketing pitch to create hype. The technologically educated aren't stupid enough to fall for it. That is for the technologically inept.

The software running the fusion drive isn't anything state of the art. The OS is quite capable of knowing which files and programs you use the most... in fact, OS-es have been looking at this data for 20 years... now it just moves the files back and forth for you. It's a glorified automator script. Actually, it probably is an automator script.

So please don't glorify something as something it's totally not.

On the same hand, people stop complaining about how grossly expensive it is. This is Apple. This is no different than their armed robbery of people when they sell ram upgrades that you can by third party for 70% less. This is what Apple does and why they have such high margins on their products.

But sorry... it's an ssd running a script in the background based on usage of programs and files.... not exactly revolutionary. Just convenient for the person who is clueless about their own computer usage.

I'd rather just have the SSD with the os on it and control of the space. Now, when someone comes out with a hack to shut off the magic (aka script) behind the fusion drive, I'd probably love it. I'd want my music library on the ssd, video files, etc... not work spreadsheets that I use a lot and could care less about.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. First of all, I am not a Mac Addict at all, muc like your screen name says. I have many PC's and 2 Macs, so I am equal opportunity. Let me start of by saying that I do NOT think that Fusion is worth the price they are charging, I just don't agree with your technical summary.

Fusion does not move programs and files, it moves blocks. Anyone in IT knows block level data movement is much more complex, and desirable, than file level movement. Program level movement isn't even considered, that's for end users to do and think they are technical. Fusion is a weaker version of what enterprises pay a lot of money for.

Dell, HP and other Windows manufactures do not have this technology. You cannot pay extra for it. That being said, I will not pay Apple extra for it as well. I added an SSD to my Mac Mini and manually place the programs and data where I want them. For the average consumer I can see the value of Fusion, but I would prefer a larger SSD at a competitive price.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Don't do much, do ya? I have 5x 1TB hard drives in my Mac Pro (one is using an optical drive slot using an adapter from OWC). 1TB is for OS X, 1 TB for Time Machine, 1 TB for Windows 7, 1TB for Windows 7 backup, 1TB for scratch disk for Photoshop / FCPX

Hope you have another backup external to your Mac Pro. :)

What if your Mac Pro power supply goes crazy and takes out all the hard drives connected to it? :eek:

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Hope you have another backup external to your Mac Pro. :)

What if your Mac Pro power supply goes crazy and takes out all the hard drives connected to it? :eek:

For web design work I have an offsite server with its own backup. It's just a Mac Mini, nothing special. But, to answer your question, I have thought of that...I'd like to get a NAS on its own UPS. I don't need anything crazy. Maybe 4TB total or so.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

I don't do photoshop or film editing, if that's what you mean :D

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
The HD is the iMac's biggest letdown. Beachballs the moment you do anything remotely intensive....processor counts for nothing while the HD is playing catch up. I can't believe 7200rpm isnt even an option on 21, never mind SSD... Ridiculous. Maybe I don't want a larger screen. Options, please

Don't expect much from Apple on this. Apple has repeatedly told me that they are just an iToy company, I mean consumer electronics company. We're lucky to have any options on the biggest iToy, the iMac.

----------

Sweet .. now I want 680MX option on base 21.5" iMac and no one would buy the high end 27" again :p

But to me the screen size reins over all. That is why I have a couple 17"MacBook Pros & 3 30" displays + a 28" & 70" display hooked up to my last gen Mac Pro.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't mind a bit of apple tax if they offer good parts, but things are getting out of hand lately.
- 5400rpm drives
- retina models can't be upgraded by yourself
- still no IPS screens

Well, Retina models have SSDs and IPS screens standard. While I'd prefer some degree of upgradability, I'm not terribly surprised they went the route they did. Apart from RAM and HDD upgrades, notebooks generally aren't upgraded that often. Heck, I doubt the average consumer even updates RAM or HDDs much nowadays.

Let's face it. The Mac is somewhat of a side business for Apple now. iPhone drives half their profits, and iPad about another 20-30%. PC manufacturers are struggling, and Apple, with 5% of the market in terms of volume, still makes a larger share of the PC market profits than anyone else. Offering lots and lots of consumer options just isn't something Apple is known for.

Apple clearly wants people to use SSDs (no surprise since it is such a high margin item for them as they still attract $2/GB). That explains their use of 5400rpm models to the extent they are still offered. As a former MacBook Air user (my first SSD model was the late 2008) I can't ever see going back to a hard drive. With iMac, they are even pushing desktop users in that direction. My guess is that the lack of the Fusion drive on the 21.5" models was more a matter of supply than anything else. I'm not surprised to see it offered now.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Early adopters weren't screwed. It's not like Apple suddenly offered the fusion drive standard. It's a BTO option. No one is getting anything more for the same prices as early adopters.

It seems some obvious facts elude you. Before you had to buy high end iMac + Fusion drive. Now you can buy low end iMac + Fusion drive, which is cheaper.

I repeat, you can now buy an iMac + Fusion drive cheaper than before. All because Apple was kind enough to press the button to add the BTO option.

If you haven't seen the pattern already, Apple creates these tiered models for their products to maximize profit. You want the best graphics card? Ok, you need to go all in on the high end 27'', etc. You like that?

What happens when you are forced to buy the higher end model? You pay more. And pay for specs you don't want.

I don't see how it can be explained in a way so that some people here understand. It's not about getting what you pay for. This is a different issue.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Chances are the heat of the 680MX along with all the other desktop components inside the 21" iMac would be unmanageable without the addition of many loud fans.

Also, you really don't need the 680 unless you are pushing the additional pixels of the 27"

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
How are we screwed? That we weren't able to spend an extra $250 on a drive upgrade? Yes, I feel so screwed!

Not.

Someone sounds a bit bitter!

Screwed in that they had to spend even more money for the high end iMac to get the Fusion. A $500 difference!

mac44

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2007
Bought October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, return through January 7, 2012

Got to love Apple, let the early adopters rush to get the high end 21.5 iMac with fusion drive before xmas and in the new year allow it on the base model. Win Win Win for Apple. Have raked in some money from Nov to Jan, Now people will buy base and upgrade to FD more £$£$£

"Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, may be returned through January 7, 2013."

Still a couple of days left to return your iMac. I took mine back today and got a full refund. Ordered a new one with Fusion drive this morning.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
That is what the Mac Pro is for. Apple should always avoid people with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

No, a MAc Pro is a Mac Pro, an overheating gigantic box and a washed out LCD screen. It is a dump truck for people with champagne budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.