Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The hell? Each standard iMac already has 1TB HDD installed. So, yes .. you pay $250 extra for 128GB SSD ONLY, which not even an actual part of the HDD itself.

It's not a hybrid drive, not some kind of customized HDD. Just one plain HDD which already installed by default, and one blade SSD, fused as one drive with built in software, not hardware. And it costs $250. So maybe you're high.

/Words matter.

One SSD drive, and software that you cannot buy anywhere else. Nobody is selling that combination cheaper. No other company actually sells it at all.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah, well some people are tech savvy and like to save money.

They do not form the sweet spot of Apple's target demographic. They don't buy nearly as much as those who are tech naive and like to spend money on a new system from Apple when they need more power.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Most of them whine like the teenager that got poison ivy on her butt doing it in the bushes at some back to school party cause she didn't want to be the only Senior (other than the nerds and dweebs if course) that was still a virgin. She could have said no. Especially since she got dumped for the head cheerleader two weeks later

In other words, they should have waited longer before getting ****ed by Apple.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Fusion Drive "technology" is already built into OS X. Anyone with OS X 10.7+ can make a Fusion Drive. So no, $250 does not get you the Fusion Drive technology. What it does get you is 128GB of SSD and support for Fusion Drive technology.

Personally I don't need the support. So that leaves me with $250 for an SSD that is worth $80. Again; Not for me.

Yes. $80-100 for 128GB SSD these days. That's not the issue. iMac and even windows All in ones are not user friendly to replace internal parts.

Sure I guess u can start daisy chaining external SSD drives on the outside but it's not as clean a look as an internal SSD option.

It's Apples and other manufactures decision to do it. Same as the iPhone non expandable memory. They want to upsell their products.

Look at Luxury car pricing. There are some options i really couldn't care less for. But they force those options on u.

dustin8675

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Apple has also had tiered upgrades, so the fact Tim is now allowing the lower specced machines have the better upgrades is a good thing. For Apple, it sounds like Steve may have actually been holding them back on somethings.

Actually you could get a SSD drive upgrade on a 21.5 iMac before. It was the just with the introduction of the new model that the fusion/SSD was not allowed in the 21.5 configuration.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Having a backup goes without saying.

But having 2 drives is pretty much like a RAID 0, so you increase the chances of errors.

As far as I understand the fusion drive - it essentially is a JBOD and not Raid0.

snowmen

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
What about this claim: On an MBP, you can't hear the hard drive unless you put an ear on the case. And on an iMac positioned at a reasonable viewing distance, you can't hear the hard drive.

Dude, a friendly advice... you probably need to check your hearing if you put your computer in your bedroom or somewhere quiet and you still can't hear the hard drive.

Last time I put a computer in the bedroom, any traditional HDD are audible at night when it is very quiet, even a quiet MBP 5400rpm HDD about 3 meters away from where I sleep is audible. I cannot sleep/turn off the computer due to a lot of reasons but for sure it is A LOT louder than my watch's second hand which I still can hear when I tried to sleep. During not-sleeping-hours it depends, but if you're not listening to music and you don't live in a noisy neighbourhood you should still hear it. So if you can't or anyone can't on this forum, maybe it's the hearing problem? Been listening to too much headphone recently maybe?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Show me a non "utterly laughable" notebook using a spinning HDD that is not 5400 rpm. The 2.5" form factor dictates the specs of the drive. Rotational speed is not everything though. Reminds me of all the kids who bought into the megahertz myth back in the day. Bigger is better, right!

Dell makes plenty of them. These, for example, come with a 7200 rpm drive standard: http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-15-l521x/pd The machine I am currently typing on has a 500 gig 7200 RPM drive.

There are plenty of 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drives available in high-end machines, and then there are the el-cheapo 5400 rpm drives that some companies use. The form factor had nothing to do with it - maximizing profit had everything to do with it.

snowmen

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
One SSD drive, and software that you cannot buy anywhere else. Nobody is selling that combination cheaper. No other company actually sells it at all.

So... by your logic we can't complain if Apple sell their base Mac Mini at US$3000 because "software (Mac OS X) that we cannot buy anywhere else. Nobody is selling that combination (Computer + Mac OS X) cheaper. No other company actually sells it at all." ?

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Because the fusion system fills up the SSD with stuff that won't need to be on it and just leaves a 4gb 'landing zone', for mission critical work. Granted the average consumer who buys a 21" probably couldn't care but, as said earlier, it's a gimmick.

It most definitely isn't a "gimmick." Whether or not you get/have a Fusion drive or go the do-it-yourself route for hybrid, both serve a solid purpose, and provide clear and proven benefits. What you ignorantly call a gimmick would be better described as a brand name. Apple has it's own version, and simply calls it Fusion.

You're either incredibly ignorant, or a Windows admin, or both.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

1. A 256GB SSD upgrade for an iMac back in 2010 and 2011 cost $600.
2. A 512GB SSD upgrade for a MacPro cost $1000 EACH up until today, while out there it costs how much? Yep .. four hundred stinking dollars!
3. A 768GB SSD upgrade on iMac costs $1300 and even then you lose HDD.

All those options give you no Fusion Drive at all. Not out of the box, at least.

So .. What kind of software or combination back then which justify those prices, really?

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
No I don't have a Fusion drive, but it's pretty much 2 drives being used as 1 logical drive.

It's a little more than that. You should look into its performance data. Plus, of course you could try these options yourself...just like you can change your own oil in your car...or you could pay a little extra to have someone else do it. That's exactly what Apple did here, the price will go down.

It's not the default drive on iMac, so for now, there's not too much harm in having the option for consumer-level Macs.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
It most definitely isn't a "gimmick." Whether or not you get/have a Fusion drive or go the do-it-yourself route for hybrid, both serve a solid purpose, and provide clear and proven benefits. What you ignorantly call a gimmick would be better described as a brand name. Apple has it's own version, and simply calls it Fusion.

You're either incredibly ignorant, or a Windows admin, or both.

No need for ad hominem insults is there. But I guess that is what I should expect when your only argument against it being a 'gimmick' is to say "It most definitely isn't" well you must admit that that is not even an argument at all.

You have to give some reasoning. It's a gimmick because it's meant to satisfy the average consumer who will not open their imac up and now apple is able to get away with putting a paltry 128GB SSD in it which doesn't leave much wiggle room for dedicated use of the SSD, it's just meant to boot up quick and handle smallish (less than 4GB files) with an impression of speediness.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it other than that it is a step backwards. At the very least it should have a 256GB SSD.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I might have bought the base model iMac when they were announced, if they had the Fusion Drive option.
As things turned out, I bought the top-range Mini. It was available immediately, it had the Fusion drive, and you could upgrade the RAM.

The base iMac with 16Gb and Fusion would have been within my budget, (though I'm still peeved at no FireWire, audio in or Infrared, to say nothing of the optical drive).

Apple could have just posted a technical note on their website saying "Oh, here's a neat trick you can do with CoreStorage". But they didn't. They said "Here's a combination drive we're selling as an option."
Is it expensive? Marginally -- but a lot less than iMac SSDs in the past. (And although I've built my own hardware and taken loads of things to bits, frankly the idea of opening up or rather putting back together the iMac scares me, so I'm happy to pay for "installation".)
Did Marketing give it a high-fallutin name? Of course.
Has it encouraged loads of people to format their own SSD/HDDs together into a Fusion drive? Yes.

Having used thew Fusion for some time now (and I'm definitely well into the HDD in terms of used space), I have to say it's brilliant. You can't tell which device is being used -- it's essentially like having a 1.1Tb SSD. And THAT is worth $250.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I don't want lins or a video, just you to state what YOU did. I would first state double sided tape is not great but then you don't currently have much choice, but can you say you simply used lots of guitar picks to separate the screen from the chassis? And if so was it easier then the the magnets used in the last iMac?

I would get the Fusion if it had a 7200rpm drive in it, reading this thread reminded me it doesn't so I would always go the self upgrade router with an SSD and big 7200rpm HDD. But it's ludicrous for Apple to use glue to hold the screen on! It's like a chepa Chinese make of computer, cutting back on screws. The annoying thing is the Fusion HDD' are just normal drives if they are not hybrids, and if they are 5200rpm drives then they are also dirt cheap especially in Apple's bulk buys, but the consumer a premium price for those drives, meh I better stop before I think Apple sees MUGG written on everyones foreheads..

I didn't say it was easier than magnets, just possible without heat.
But the point you and so many people miss on this wacky thread miss, is that the 5400 rpm drives, when in Fusion, aren't going to appear slower! Getting hung up on the speed of drive or the danger of having two drives is really a waste of worry.

That is the biggest fan boy blech ever.

Fusion drive is a fracking marketing gimmick... it IS a bloody SSD. Apple has masterminded taking nothing and hyping it into something.

The Fusion drive is simply an ssd that the user has no control over and having that marketed as a good thing like it's got all the magic of Exaclibur in it's swing.

Other computer makers have already done this BEFORE Apple. The difference is on other computers, the OS was installed on an SSD, and the free space left for the end user. Apple simply made it so they dicate what goes on the SSD for you.

So no.... the SSD is not "part of a fusion drive" (shaking head at that comment even still)... it's a marketing pitch to create hype. The technologically educated aren't stupid enough to fall for it. That is for the technologically inept.

The software running the fusion drive isn't anything state of the art. The OS is quite capable of knowing which files and programs you use the most... in fact, OS-es have been looking at this data for 20 years... now it just moves the files back and forth for you. It's a glorified automator script. Actually, it probably is an automator script.

-snip-

I'd rather just have the SSD with the os on it and control of the space. Now, when someone comes out with a hack to shut off the magic (aka script) behind the fusion drive, I'd probably love it. I'd want my music library on the ssd, video files, etc... not work spreadsheets that I use a lot and could care less about.

The Fusion drive is best for those not wanting to micro-manage their data across two drives. The point of the software is so that you don't have to do anything yet get near-SSD speeds. This is a new technology that most people will appreciate. Not everyone writes scripts and I'd guess that you wouldn't be able to duplicate Fusion Drive's native efficiency at doing so.

When a 128gb SSD costs about $100 - $125 to begin with...

The 2012 iMac's take a retina blade SSD. A 120GB one costs $200 at OWC for instance. This is not a typical 2.5" drive so I don't get your point. You pay $250 to have the blade installed. Or get the NonFusion 21.5" iMac, pay $200 plus some guitar pics, tape, etc., and do it yourself via a steady hand and some Terminal commands.

Wow... Crazy thread.
Amongst other things: there's some bizarro misinformation wielding regarding disk rpm speeds. Fact: a 5400 rpm drive spins slower than a 7200 rpm drive. And thus, there can be performance differences.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

I work in multitrack audio (Pro Tools). 7200 is a minimum rpm requirement for successfully writing multitrack audio. Anyone doing any serious audio/video capture, will want to start with a 7200 rpm drive. And they will more than likely not be dong such work on an iMac (tho possible).

I agree this is a crazy thread. Spin speeds to not equate, under all conditions, to data reads. Regardless, I would bet that Fusion drive speeds are equivalent regardless of 5400 vs. 7200 rpm HDD's backing it. 7200 rpm may be a minimum requirement when not fused to a SSD but that is not what this thread is about.

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Fun fact - Apple doesn't currently support iMacs with the Fusion drive. If the drive dies, their only option is to replace the entire machine. I would say that this is definitely screwing early adopters.

Replacement hybrid drives are not available in their internal support inventory system yet, so they can't swap out your dead drive at the Genius Bar, or even via in-home technician visit.

If yours dies right away like mine did (3 days in, so I got to spend many hours moving data and configuring before it died) and it's a custom build from the online Store, don't bother going to a Genius, just call AppleCare and have them order you a brand new machine. I think most machines with Fusion drives are custom builds anyway, so this probably means everybody who has a Fusion is in this boat.

Absurd, but true - they do not actually support their most expensive current machine; my guess is that they are bogarting all the hybrid drives they can get for manufacturing, and will provide them to repair after the lead time on machines gets lower, but that's cold comfort to their early-adopting loyal customers.

So if the drive fails you get a replacement machine, how is that not providing support?

----------

So you consider the iMac that's been in the market for 1 month "old"? Tell that to the 21.5" early adopters who could have saved $200 if they just waited a month.

/serious.

They would not have saved anything.
They would have spent less money and got a lower speced machine.
Less money = lower spec machine

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
About 300 posts as I write this should tell everybody that this mostly whining
is from a total minority.

If you are new to the way Apple launches its products please learn for the future:

1) Never buy a first generation of anything Apple and wait for the bug reports to come in. This NEW iMac 21.5 inch is a 1st generation and so is Apple's Fusion Drive offering! (Regardless of whether it's old technology)

2) Usually within 3 to 4 months you get the revised product with better specs for the same price or additional options and the after market comes up with solutions or figures out how to address individual
requirements and work arounds.

3) If you buy ANYTHING (not only Apple) because you need it right now: STOP looking back when new stuff comes along. Your "old" stuff still works and does what you bought it for.

4) Do not assume that you are the only one with specific things Apple should address. Apple covers the widest consumer spectrum possible for THEIR market, not yours.

5) Stop posting that you are getting screwed or #$#$@5 by Apple. You do not know their inner calculations, profit margin requirements or supply chain issues. The fact that they are in BUSINESS to make money should also not come as a surprise.

And, how much money they should make is not your decision.

All they are doing is put out a product for you to buy. Be that what THEY WANT to put out at that time or what THEY DECIDE is technically tolerable for what they want to ship (user experience)

You have the option NOT to buy or outwait the product cycle and revisions.

Anything else is typical entitlement generation BS. We want it all and we want it now. (Let's add for FREE and FOREVER)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In other words, they should have waited longer before getting ****ed by Apple.

No one got F'd. Apple's holiday return policy means anyone who wants to return their Mac and buy a low end w/ Fusion can still do so until tomorrow.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Fun fact - Apple doesn't currently support iMacs with the Fusion drive. If the drive dies, their only option is to replace the entire machine. I would say that this is definitely screwing early adopters.

Replacement hybrid drives are not available in their internal support inventory system yet, so they can't swap out your dead drive at the Genius Bar, or even via in-home technician visit.

If yours dies right away like mine did (3 days in, so I got to spend many hours moving data and configuring before it died) and it's a custom build from the online Store, don't bother going to a Genius, just call AppleCare and have them order you a brand new machine. I think most machines with Fusion drives are custom builds anyway, so this probably means everybody who has a Fusion is in this boat.

Absurd, but true - they do not actually support their most expensive current machine; my guess is that they are bogarting all the hybrid drives they can get for manufacturing, and will provide them to repair after the lead time on machines gets lower, but that's cold comfort to their early-adopting loyal customers.

That's normal when a new machine is released. It can take a week or two to get the part in - so yes, Apple can replace both the HDD and the SSD part of the fusion drive no problem.

It's their policy, however, that if it fails within the first month, just to issue a new machine for the customer's benefit. If you'd prefer them to repair your 2 week old machine they will, but given that it's a new model you'll be waiting upwards of 2 weeks for the part.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
[yawn] Please, wake me up when they support a reasonable SSD offering on the iMac. 256GB SSDs, for example. In the meantime, I continue my nap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.