Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julienmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hi, My air has very little space so I am thinking about upgrading the SSD with a higher GB one from newegg.com. What I was wondering was that does the MBA only take a certain type of SSD or can it take any? Also does it only take SSD? Thanks.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The MBA does not take spinning HDD for internal use. The MBA uses a specifically designed SSD. A thinner drive package was needed to keep the MBA so thin. Aftermarket upgrades can be seen at Other World Computing. I don't know if newegg sells something that would fit.

moral-hazard

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009
I'd go with Macsales personally, you can buy brand new drives from them which include a) all of the tools you need and b) a drive caddy that you can use to turn your old SSD into an external USB3 drive for extra space. They are also a bit faster and similarly priced to what people are paying for OEM drives on eBay.

I've purchased from Macsales before and will probably be buying one of the aura SSD upgrades for my new air as well.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I'd go with Macsales personally, you can buy brand new drives from them which include a) all of the tools you need and b) a drive caddy that you can use to turn your old SSD into an external USB3 drive for extra space. They are also a bit faster and similarly priced to what people are paying for OEM drives on eBay.

I've purchased from Macsales before and will probably be buying one of the aura SSD upgrades for my new air as well.

I would personally stay away from Macsales/OWC for the time being personally. With the issue of DOA drives and the fitment issue, I would wait some time for them to straighten things out. Not very encouraged by what other members are experiencing.

----------

Would anyone be able to provide a link to some of these? Thanks.

Sure thing.

Looks like they are currently out of stock. Call or email them for when they might be getting more stock in: http://www.yourmacstore.com/samsung-512gb-ssd-for-macbook-air-2012/

eBay:just search for MBA SSD/blade SSD/Samsung blade SSD/Toshiba blade SSD or some mixture of those search terms. You will find a mix of used and new SSDs.

moral-hazard

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009
I didn't hear about the DOA drives -- interested to read more, if you have a link it would be much appreciated.

Did hear about the fitment issue, but was unsure what to make of it. In the thread I saw the OP seemed to be taking a somewhat unprofessional approach to getting the issue resolved. Not great to hear that others are experiencing the same thing :-(

I would personally stay away from Macsales/OWC for the time being personally. With the issue of DOA drives and the fitment issue, I would wait some time for them to straighten things out. Not very encouraged by what other members are experiencing.

----------

Sure thing.

Looks like they are currently out of stock. Call or email them for when they might be getting more stock in: http://www.yourmacstore.com/samsung-512gb-ssd-for-macbook-air-2012/

eBay:just search for MBA SSD/blade SSD/Samsung blade SSD/Toshiba blade SSD or some mixture of those search terms. You will find a mix of used and new SSDs.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I didn't hear about the DOA drives -- interested to read more, if you have a link it would be much appreciated.

It is in the "OWC buyer beware" thread. Thread has mixed problems with fitment and DOA drives. Not just one DOA drive experienced by members. Several cases.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459847/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That thread also shows the vendor being very responsive to the people posting. I've had excellent experience with OWC and would recommend them highly.

The only option for the OP to upgrade is SSD is ebay or OWC as noted. If he feels that he doesn't want to take a chance on OWC then his available options to upgrade his SSD shrunk considerably.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

The only option for the OP to upgrade is SSD is ebay or OWC as noted. If he feels that he doesn't want to take a chance on OWC then his available options to upgrade his SSD shrunk considerably.

Yourmacstore also carries them. Just need to figure out when they get more in stock. I'm sure there are other places that carry the Apple SSDs. Just need to find them.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Yourmacstore also carries them. Just need to figure out when they get more in stock. I'm sure there are other places that carry the Apple SSDs. Just need to find them.

Those places are just reselling the OEM drives. You can find them on eBay as well.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Those places are just reselling the OEM drives. You can find them on eBay as well.

Yes you can look on eBay as well like I mentioned in my post #10.

eBay: just search for MBA SSD/blade SSD/Samsung blade SSD/Toshiba blade SSD or some mixture of those search terms. You will find a mix of used and new SSDs.

The issue is some people will not want a new take off SSD, some will want to deal with an authorized seller and others want to deal with a online shop that has a brick and mortar store. But yes, eBay is another option for blade style SSD for MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.